Re: Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 3

by ivrognard

Original Post

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 3

★★★ Newbie

Why wont EA permit Bioware to make KotOR 3? It could be the Star Wars game that saves EA from the disappointments that Battlefront 1 and 2 have been. Clearly its what fans want as we have been requesting it for years. Is this just another indicator that EA doesnt care about what fans want? 

Message 1 of 2 (327 Views)

Re: Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 3

@thatguy321987 EA does not have anything to do with KOTOR. Disney is the one that has the power to decide if they want a new game in the series. Also EA is only allowed to create new games, to use the Battlefront name and maintain SWTOR MMO. They can't touch any of the old SW games, unless Disney allows them. And Disney did not gave them permission to use them, though EA tried a few times, until they've gave up. The permission process is so damn convoluted and comes with so many strings attached that even the most sane person would just forget about obtaining the license. So, no, it's one of those cases where EA is not the one to blame, but the owner of the IP. 

Most of the gaming companies gave up or are in process to giving up on working on external IP's due to the whole world of pain that copyright brings in its current form. As the licensing became more expensive, fewer companies can afford the cost. And despite the general belief, KOTOR sold well for its era and it was a good fit for an independent Bioware/Obisidian, but it's not something that would sell the millions of copies at launch required by both Disney and EA to see it as profitable. 

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 2 of 2 (298 Views)