Re: Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order - M & K Control Customization Extremely Lim

by Unverschamter

Original Post

★★ Pro

@UnverschamterOk not trying to derail this thread, I am monitoring both Steam and EA forums, so if I decide to finally get this game hopefully no more problems persist. I was thinking seriously about getting the Steam version though as I prefer using Steam than Origin honestly speaking.

It probably is better to start a new thread to Start helping Steam users if they still cannot resolve their problem on Steam. Just wondering do EA Staff monitor the Steam forums currently?

Message 11 of 60 (3,491 Views)

★★★ Novice

Good luck with getting a fast patch on re-key-binding.  I doubt it's forthcoming which is why the refund for me.  Like I said above, there's only 24 hrs after log in to make the decision.  Not much time to wait to see if a patch will make it.  I'm sure they knew this was a problem long before we posted which is why the "recommendation" to use a controller comes up so fast at game launch.  With that in mind, there may be some reason why they can't altho every other game I've looked at for the Unreal engine includes what you and I are talking about as standard playability.

But, your more than correct OP, the game is unplayable on a PC and at the least, EA should of made customers aware of this problem before money changed hands.  And I have to admit, I was looking forward to another Star Wars game.  Guess I'll stick with SWG.

Message 12 of 60 (3,471 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@ReposterFair enough, I've tried both myself at this point because myself and a few gamer friends had a little launch party for this game tonight, and we've all seen that the problems DO exist with both the Steam and Origin Platforms for the PC versions of Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order specifically regarding play control and control customization issues.  Any other issue may or may not be platform specific, but the play control and control customization problems are essentially universal to both PC platforms, so this thread is fine to use for any posts about the play control and control customization problems that need to be patched.

On Steam I can say that I just looked, and it appears that both Respawn and EA/Origin share the same developer/publisher pages according to the listing of the game with their shared developer/publisher page being here at the following URL:

https://store.steampowered.com/developer/EA

...with Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order being listed at the URL below:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1172380?snr=1_41_4__42

I've no idea what the developers and publishers do and/or do not do; however the URL does at least make it known that there IS some sort of EA/Origin and/or Respawn Entertainment presence on Steam.

As a set of rules, when issues like this come up with anything, I always suggest dealing directly with whatever forums apply to the platform the game is being used from and/or was purchased from because while we of the community are certainly capable of thinking on our feet when being inquisitive and empathetic about these kinds of problems ( i.e. "Are others having the same problem on other platforms?"
) ...in the event there are any platform related issues that also come up, I'm not concerned about the community getting derailed, I'm concerned about the developers getting derailed should this thread garner their much needed attention. That's why I suggested Steam users should keep their posts on Steam Community unless Steam Support says to do otherwise, and that Origin Client users should be using these forums here.

Hope that helps clarify things, so that everyone can mutually benefit from some focus. :D

Message 13 of 60 (3,461 Views)

Bad Keybinding Limits

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Product: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
Platform:PC
Summarize your bug Limited Keybinds
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Attempt to rebind any 'non-standard' gaming keys (such as arrow keys instead of WASD)
What happens when the bug occurs? Nothing, does not allow wanted key bind choices.
What do you expect to see? The ability to bind whatever keys I want

It's 2019 and EA is still designing games biased against those of us that do not play the normal WASD model, can we please stop this and issue a patch for full keybinding support?

I play mostly on the right side of the keyboard (ie; arrow keys are my movement keys), I really dislike having to use something like autohotkey just to get around poor keyboard support of a game.  As far as I'm concerned this is effectively a bug, there should be no technical reason to limit my keybinds for such keys.

Edit: Curiously the only keys that seem to be limited for whatever reason are the arrow keys and side-mouse buttons (ie; Mouse4 and Mouse5 as they might usually be reported), everything else on the right side of the keyboard seems to be fine, so why in the world are the arrow keys and side mouse buttons restricted...?  o_O

Message 14 of 60 (3,395 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@Esquire1980 They make all of these types of games this way because they design it for use with a controller. I've been bitching about it forever. At least give us the option to lock the camera behind our character and get rid of these stupid lock-on and targeting mechanics. Would be so much better playing like this, I really am clueless on how nobody has done this yet for PC. Console master race I guess.

Message 15 of 60 (3,386 Views)

★★★ Novice

@Unverschamter  

The main complaint I have for these types of games is that there is no option to lock the camera behind your character so that when you press S or "move back" your character moves back instead of turning around to face the camera. Your character should rotate the direction you move the mouse like in any MMORPG. This would eliminate the need for any "targeting system" and would prevent the camera from dictating what you are looking at, as when you lock on to a target your camera is now dependent on that target which is annoying to say the least.

For this game in particular a walk key would be good. Otherwise I don't think the controls are all that bad for keyboard mouse. If they would just do what I said above, games like this, Sekiro, Nioh, Dark Souls, would be light years more enjoyable on PC.

Message 16 of 60 (3,367 Views)

★★★ Novice

without the rebinding, the game is unplayable.

Message 17 of 60 (3,339 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@nospaferr, @Synapt , @skill-or-die , and @Wundering_Taoist ; Thank you to all of you for giving this issue the attention it deserves to everyone's benefit, and it's hoped that our attention together, along with future attention from others will bring these problems to the forefront of the developers' minds with the result being a patch that addresses the PC version's major shortcomings that include left-handed accessibility ( that's to you @Synapt Standard smile ) where such accessibility is nearly impossible without major rebinding of all of the controls.

As promised, I've put together a complete rebinding scheme in the form of a long screenshot using features that need to be made available in a future patch for Star Wars - Jedi: Fallen Order.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Nothing listed in the image is actually real or even available in-game at this time, and is a product of having assembled the necessary graphics and information through a series of screenshots in-game that includes using parts of existing icons to create new icons.

The hope is that by having done this, developers are more attentive to what's expected by PC users regarding control rebinding and customization. Additionally, the control schema I'm representing in the graphic can be flipped for left-handed users like @Synapt ; making this an ideal control schema and template for Star Wars - Jedi: Fallen Order , and any similar games being developed for release in the future.

ATTENTION DEVELOPERS: Please feel free to use the created image as a guideline for patching Star Wars - Jedi: Fallen Order with the features PC and accessibility PC users require and should be able to expect out of the box every time a title is released.

Thank you.

Star Wars - Jedi - Fallen-Order (Controls) Customized Ergonomic - Reference Guide for Patching by Devs

Message 18 of 60 (3,314 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

Dont know what you guys are doing but I can perfectly fine bind my arrow keys and side mouse button in settings.

While I do not use arrow buttons myself to move the camera I just tested to see and it worked fine.

I use all 5 buttons on my mouse in game with no issues. I use side buttons for evade and force attack. See the picture I uploaded that shows those 6 buttons being bound to something in game.

As far as I can see you can bind any button to anything in this game. At least there are no button I havent been able to bind. I can even bind print screen, scroll lock and pause button....

The only thing I cant do as pointed out is that I cant "free look" with my mouse while walking which I agree is a weird decision.

But as far as rebinding goes, there are no limitations on which button you can bind.

Message 19 of 60 (3,285 Views)

★★★ Novice

My big complaint is the sluggish response of my mouse while running.  That being said, I only had a limited time to play last night.  I will try to adjust the in-game mouse settings to see if I can make my mouse a bit more responsive.  However, considering I have really nice gaming mouse, I should not have to make this adjustment.

Also, thank you for posting your mapping suggestions and problems.  I will try remapping some of the controls this evening as well.

As for "W,S,D,A", I've gotten pretty used to using these moves for other games.  Even though it is a bit annoying, it is not a deal breaker for me.

I am also a bit annoyed that I have to use a control key to look around.  Seriously?  You could not have integrated that into the mouse control at the beginning? Disappointed  This makes doing the athletics (jumping, climbing, etc.) a bit of a hassle.

Message 20 of 60 (3,262 Views)