Sprinting is fine, nerfing it will cause more issues

by BootStool

Original Post

Re: Sprinting is fine, nerfing it will cause more issues

★★★★★ Expert
@GammaX6 Yes, I could almost feel the Snap Peas gathering! Great analysis as always!
@Iron_Guard8 That's a good point about the aim etc., I like the wait & see idea myself as the distances from spawn & respawn are generally so hideously big that I can't see how they could change sprinting by enough to make a difference without having to alter round times or spawn points. If this is causing so much frustration, I'd have thought there were other options that could be explored, like how quickly health regenerates for example
@spIash_damage 😂 Many adults don't either - my son sussed the ability was there for me during testing!
Message 31 of 42 (674 Views)

★ Expert

My kids and their friends certainly know how to sprint 😂 I'm finding the argument of hold-still-and-let-me-kill-you largely unpersuasive anyway. If you are in a situation where you are at low health, especially in team vanquish or somewhere else where kills matter, you may owe it to your team to attempt to keep the other team from scoring by killing you. If that means strategic retreat, so be it. He-man-ing it out in an overwhelming encounter to die with dignity seems out of place. It is frustrating when you lose a kill to it; it's frustrating to lose kills to a variety of things, but that has to be part of the game. When frustrations > fun, time to turn it off for a bit. Maybe we should have He-man mode where all sprinting and any means of escape are turned off. I wouldn't play but it may be someone's cup of tea. I'm all about having choices to play the sort of round that you enjoy so I really hope a multiplayer portal with tons of great game customization options is on its way.

Message 32 of 42 (669 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I've heard rumors that the hit box in the sprint is getting smaller, and if that's true, you have to fix it first

https://www.reddit.com/r/PvZGardenWarfare/comments/di7a8g/hitboxes_broken_while_jumping_weird_hit_de...

Message 33 of 42 (651 Views)

★★★ Guide

My only complaint with sprinting is that I dislike the mechanic of pressing down on my controller’s joystick to sprint. I have a tendency to engage sprint accidentally in heated combat (if you see an engineer pogo jumping on and off his jackhammer, it’s probably me), or struggle to engage sprint when I *am* trying to run away. But I’m getting used to it.

Message 34 of 42 (633 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

What if people simply get a "chaser boost" if they are sprinting after an enemy who is sprinting away from them, based on line of sight? This would allow people to catch up to someone who was sprinting away from a bad position, but if they were right next to cover, they could use the cover to break line of sight to the chaser, rewarding good positioning by denying someone getting a speed boost.

Resetting spring when getting shot is perhaps the most unfun thing I can imagine to play. Turf Takover alone is a 12v12 where you almost always will get shot by someone, especially when contesting the objective, so players would inadvertently get "trapped" on the objective. Worse yet, I would dislike it even more if I played PvE and needed to take cover to regen hp for once, but suddenly that aimbot AI hits me out of nowhere and I die because it resets my sprint. The only people profiting from this is whoever happens to chase as noone who gets their sprint reset will have an enjoyable experience. Less than 50% of the players actually will enjoy this (for each player sprinting away, there is one player shutting down their sprint), and it is less since even AI could reset the sprint, and the AI doesn't even have a concept of "fun" or "no fun".

And then even the one who chases after someone can get their sprint reset, which causes their target to escape yet again and we are back to square one.

I like the sound of stamina bars more as it is at least in the hands of the players to manage this and the ones managing it well (or in luck) will have enough stamina left to run away. However, I can't help but think that this is a lazy approach to this subject, as people with equally optimal stamina management will end up never chasing down the other, which is also the main problem of the whole story. Hence my suggestion above about adding a boost to the one who chases.

To me the inherent problem is that characters feel like they walk super slow. You can't really dodge someone that aims somewhat decently, your only saving graze being jumping around like a maniac or server/input lag on whoever is trying to shoot at you (or being near cover, which is not always a given). If characters simply walked reasonably fast then there would be more opportunities to take down a low hp target before they sprint behind a wall, and sprinting itself would then only be used to cover larger distances (like when running to the objective all the way from the spawn or quickly trying to go through a flanking route). Heck, with faster default movement speed, people may not feel like they need to sprint at all and instead shoot back while trying to walk behind cover, resulting in less "cheap" escapes.

But that's just my opinion on the whole thing.

Message 35 of 42 (619 Views)

★ Guide

I hate sprinting in this game with a passion and it made what was working perfectly well (movement in GW1+2) unnecessarily more painful.

With that being said, they should at least reduce the ridiculous high jumps with any character. Because while sprinting away is annoying, the real pain is that characters are able to jump 3 meters into the air in a wobbly, stuttering way and THAT makes them really hard to hit.

Message 36 of 42 (593 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I think your chaser buff idea is great. 

Message 37 of 42 (544 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

PvE sprint fine. PvP. NOPE, NOPE, NOOOOOOOOOOPE! Sprinting sucks. Literally SUCKS the fun out of the game when your kill just dashes off. 

Sprint should feel like an ability in PvP, just like the jackhammer used to be for the Engineer, cool down, doesn't last forever only everyone has it. Period. PROBLEM SOLVED FOLKS! ^_^

Message 38 of 42 (506 Views)

★★★★ Guide

If sprint was slowed down that people can’t escape certain abilities like Chomper’s burrow or other OHKO abilities, then I can see many people switching to highly mobile heroes. No one likes to die in this game and then has sprint, in certain maps, for 30 seconds back to action because they couldn’t evade an OHKO ability while being around the objective.

In a full Turf Takeover session, the average number of vanquishes of the top performing players is usually 30 ~ 40 vanquishes. That is all according to my rough estimation, if you’re okay with that. I wonder if the slow-sprint system would make that number go up? Which is another issue with slowing down sprinting. Players with good aim and high fire rate weapons would highly benefit from this change.

Sprinting and escaping is a necessary tactic because, as I’ve mentioned before, you might not be playing as a hero that can counter the other one that’s shooting you. If a Chomper can’t escape a Foot Soldier and can’t sprint back to safety, then I can see it further ruining the flow of similar heroes. A Scientist landing one shot and then warping around a target that struggles to sprint. Good luck with that! I'd probably be one of the players who would take advantage of the new system. Don't look at me! When I use Nightcap to hit multiple targets catching them off-guard struggling to escape, finishing them off easily. Oh, and good luck! I'll be using Heavy Helper to slow you down, that would be an amazing indirect buff! Never mind!! implement the system right now! /s

Please fix the aim and control issues before implementing this idea.

Message 39 of 42 (488 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Nobody is arguing that if you're at a didadvantage, you should stand and eat bullets until you die. Retreat is expected and intelligent, it just shouldn't be trivially easy to accomplish. 

That said, I'm getting used to sprinting. I still don't like it. I think either it is off, or damage numbers are off, or something I haven't identified is off. The balance in this game is weird. I'm having some fun despite that and I'll keep playing for a while to see what changes. As the game is now, it's less fun for me than GW2. 

Also, eat a bus, don't patronize me. Some aspects of this game are consistently frustrating. That's a problem. I want BFN to be great, and I think maybe it can be. Right now, it's just okay. 

Message 40 of 42 (412 Views)