Sprinting is fine, nerfing it will cause more issues

by BootStool

Original Post

Re: Sprinting is fine, nerfing it will cause more issues

★ Guide

Sprinting could use a very slight nerf in PvP, where you would stop for at least a second once being damaged. But nerfing it too much would cause more problems. 

Message 11 of 42 (763 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Yeah leave it alone.  GW2 was planned at a much higher pace.  I don’t know if anyone played alpha but it was a different game.  Rose wasn’t a problem at all as her shots were easy to miss.  Deadbeards were not nearly as deadly, along with many other scenarios.  The community squawked and the game slowed down tremendously.  Changed everything.

Message 12 of 42 (754 Views)

★ Guide

@Bethomet wrote:

Sprintong from enemies in PvE is fine. Highly mobile harrassment characters with 75 HP sprinting without a cooldown might be fine. Peashooter fleeing at 15 HP,  jumping onto a roof, regenerating, and sniping you with pea gatling is not okay. It isn't fun. It especially isn't fun because of how difficult rapid, pinpoint aiming is in this game. Giving sprint even a 3 second cooldown after receiving damage would be much more fair and enjoyable. I don't get angry when I lose a gunfight. I get angry when I don't win a gunfight because my opponent ran to the other side of the map instead of finishing it. It's frustrating every time.

This. They should keep sprinting as it is in PvE, I really couldn't care less (although I think it still looks and feels weird). But in PvP they need to implement some sort of downtime or nerf. As previous posters have stated, losing a gunfight is fine, but losing it because your opponent runs and jumps (which is also way too high) away and the sluggish aiming makes it impossible to hit them is just frustrating and unrewarding gameplay. 

Or get rid of it entirely and bring back the teleports/adjust the spawn points in the Turf Maps, would make me happy too. I know it's not GW1+2 and I know BFN was made with sprinting in mind, but as it is now they really broke the gunplay flow and made something way worse which worked perfectly before.

Message 13 of 42 (749 Views)

★ Pro

Maybe sprinting could slow down healh regen by speed and delay or, as suggested, could have a cooldown( or stamina bar based on remaining health percentage)

Message 14 of 42 (725 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@BootStool  I agree with you and I had this in my mind to post about. 

Looking at the Trello board and finding out that they're actually working on it made me nervous, as I'm one of the few players who contest tooth and nail around objectives and I have to sprint to evade certain abilities whenever I hear them. This would mean that contesting around objectives would become an even more difficult task. Everyone would throw their Chili bean bombs and get their kills easily while players who try to contest suffer as they receive damage and have no room to escape.

I'm afraid this is a huge buff to what many think is an issue. Like what @Bethomet had mentioned about peashooters. If you do indeed get a delay if you received damage, you will eat 1 pea (which is super duper easy to land, thanks to the generous homing upgrade perk that is definitely not op and definitely should stay the way it is...) and then have a chili bean on your face.

If the damaged hero only gets the delay... then Heros like Snapdragon might thrive... Especially if Snapdragons can sprint towards their target since they might not be receiving damage.

I main Electric Slide.. and I understand her full potential. The sprint delay will be a huge buff to her because I know that I can damage more enemies and they won't be able to escape the chain damage easily.

The only change that they should do is... Nerf health regeneration delay if the player is shooting or sprinting. You should never regenerate health while you're shooting or sprinting unless you have perks that give you your health back such as Low Health, Fearless and Vampiric. Those would regenerate your health as described in the Upgrade. 

This would ensure that the target player is not active in combat and disabled. (I understand that you won't get your vanquish since the target had escaped... But you have also disabled them from engaging in combat.. If they ever showed up with their low health they will put themselves into risk.)

The game should also clarify and show a health regeneration timer to allow players to think strategically.

They should also add an Apex-Legends inspired Ping system where you can tell your teammates where to defend, where to attack, and who to chase and what to focus on by pointing at that location. This way you can relay information about who's at low HP and let others chase them down for you if they play agile classes or have access to rooftops.

They shouldn't implement this system before improving the controls. This way, people will have better aim and might get those kills better even without that sprint delay system.

In GW1/GW2, I never thought that seeing a Chili bean and having no room to evade it to be a fun idea. It wasn't great.. it's an ability with low cooldown (It's not an Ultimate ability that has a 100 % max meter to fill it up with 2 minute cooldown. It's just a regular OHKO ability.) and people can spam that with multiple Peashooters. And in Objective based modes... I'm afraid most OHKO abilities would make it difficult to do the objective with the sprint delay.

This is a "Team"-based shooter and not all heroes can counter everybody easily. If I'm a Sunflower, I know that I should sprint away to safety when certain heroes approach me. I won't be able to 1v1 a Super Brainz easily for example.

If you so much want to get that vanquish, play as heroes that are designed to chase and pin down other heroes. Both Imp and Nightcap are designed for that. They can pin enemies in one place and deny them escaping.

*Edit: Format/Grammar

Message 15 of 42 (712 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Actually ill be more happy if they actually remove sprint, but ONLY if they made walkin speed WAY faster, some character are pain at walkin. Im feelin get old year by year when walk as citron, cacti or space cadet.

Message 16 of 42 (704 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

The thing is having bad mobility was a legit weakness that some characters have and that's why it's balanced.

If you gave every character a sprint ability, mobility isn't even weakness and more of a slight downside.

Imagine if TF2 for some reason gave every character sprint, what's the point of Scout? Also Heavy would no longer have to worry about dying and taking too long to get back into the fight.

It causes less strategy and more chaos, but chaos shouldn't be that extreme in a team-based shooter where each character has a strength and weakness. It's more controlled and allows better plays.

Message 17 of 42 (664 Views)

★★ Guide

Sprinting wouldn't be so bad if they fix aiming and make better dps on most chars as they had in gw2. Then could kill em on the run or before. 

Message 18 of 42 (639 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

My sugestion for sprint

1st-After engaging in combat(doing damage), you cant use sprint until out of combat for 10 or less seconds

2nd- when using sprint and someone damages you, after certain damage threshold( like 20dmg in 1sec) or getting stunned, dazed gets you in combat state and disables sprint for said seconds 

Message 19 of 42 (630 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

A simple fix would be to not allow sprinting when HP is less than 100 percent. The biggest problem with sprinting right now is that everyone who takes damage sprints away from a battle heals up and comes back. We work too hard for our vanquishes and in game goal related task to have it taken away from us.

I do believe this game needs sprinting as well and I enjoy using it to move around quickly. It just doesn't belong in the battle aspect of the game.

Message 20 of 42 (595 Views)