Re: Sprinting is fine, nerfing it will cause more issues

by Bethomet

Original Post

★★★★★ Expert
I don't think sprint needs changing, for what it's worth. The arguments being put forward for a change are basically that players run away from a fight to regen rather than be killed - players would do that in GW before we had a sprint! There were & are countless abilities that enable characters to escape enemy fire. Hyper, citron ball form, enigma for some plant examples. Rocket jump (talk about going from one roof to another to avoid that last fatal shot!), jackhammer, WARP being ones that come to mind straightaway for zombies.
9 times out of 10, players do not run away to purposefully deny someone of a kill. They do it because they need health to make or defend a push on the point. A better strategy than being finished off & respawning too far away to assist their team.
The ones that run away to protect their streaks ARE annoying, but they'll just find another way of doing it. Teleporters were a nightmare most of the time & on these large maps, with respawns far away from the action . . . Just my personal opinion, but I think we need sprint 🙊
Message 21 of 42 (610 Views)

★★★ Guide

@ToastedSarnie wrote:
9 times out of 10, players do not run away to purposefully deny someone of a kill. They do it because they need health to make or defend a push on the point.

Absolutely, in Turf Takeover at least.

And although it may feel like being cheated out of a vanquish when someone sprints away, it is a victory in another way. By scaring an opponent away from the battlefield you’ve gained your team breathing space.

Message 22 of 42 (597 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@ToastedSarnie  That's exactly what I was thinking.. Even if they removed sprinting, there are many other heroes that can just bail out at any time. People running in Turf Takeover is fine because Objective is #1 and vanquishes are nothing but steps to reach your final goal. If you managed to make the enemy go away and let your teammates push, then you've done well.

The game should give score if the enemy managed to escape and regenerate health back to 100 %. That would mean that you have managed to "suppress" a target from attacking your teammates.

Message 23 of 42 (568 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@GammaX6 I like it when we agree - you KNOW stuff 'cos you're from the future!! 😊😉😂
Message 24 of 42 (562 Views)

★★★★ Novice

People running from foghts in GW2 was different. You can't shoot while sprinting, which is fair, but which also means that by spri ting away from your opponent, if you can take a corner so they can't maintain line of sight, you pause the fight. All your opponent can do is either let you go or chase you down. They have to wait and hope that you get into a spot that's open enough for them to shoot you, or you WILL either get your health back or regroup with your team, who will kill your pursuer. In GW2, you pretty much only lost an opponent if they were a citron or pogo pea, if you were engaging them at too long a range, or if they had an actual terrain advantage. In BFN, I lose opponents who were 5 feet in front of me because they take a corner at half health and just keep running, and the lower damage output in this game means I just cannot kill them before they flea. I MUST chase them around the map for 45 seconds until one of the two of us find backup or the person running from me makes a mistake and I can stop to shoot them again. On maps with more obstructions, like Old Town, it's pointless to even try pursuing if I can't chase them into an ally. It's frustrating. I'm not having fun with it.  

Message 25 of 42 (524 Views)

★ Guide
@spIash_damage Yes! Could be something like a blue bar beneath the HP bar. Energy.
Message 26 of 42 (468 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
For those of you who dislike sprinting because people can get away too easily, can I ask if this is something that is a issue for you just in Team Vanquish & any other mode like portal events where the objective is purely to get kills??
If it is, maybe a better solution would be to have sprint reduced/altered/removed JUST from those game modes? Rather than adjusting a game mechanic that is necessary in PvE, Ops & Turf Takeover.
I would actually be worried if people are getting so frustrated by losing a kill in this way in Turf that they are chasing people around the map after they "dared" to get away. I'm all for having a competitive game, but with turf, getting kills is a BONUS not the OBJECTIVE of the game. And while PvZ is played by a huge amount of adults, the games are rated PEGI-7, are supposed to be family-friendly & have an equally large number of children playing. Many of them would struggle to play in a way some adults want & may find some of these tactics intimidating.
As I said, would simply adjusting TV help? Just a thought. I know some of you have strong views - please don't bite my head off! 😂
Message 27 of 42 (450 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@ToastedSarnie It's too late! People had already bitten your head off violently in a PEGI-18 way inside their minds xD.

To all people who complain about "others keep sprinting away" what heroes are you playing exactly? And what heroes are escaping, anyway?

If you're playing Super Brainz, you jumped into someone dealing damage to them, and then they just sprinted away... Well, that's because they made a wise decision... Their heroes aren't designed to counter you, so why not sprint at all? They know that you have OHKO abilities too...

If you're playing Snapdragon, you sprayed fire all over people, and then your victims just sprinted away... Why is this a wrong tactic? You suddenly jumped into their faces and you set them on fire obstructing their vision with your flames...

If you're playing Foot Soldier, shooting someone near a cover and they sprinted away... So what? They could have been healed by others behind that cover even if you chased them, you'd be at a disadvantage. That's on you for miscalculating and judging the situation. If you were a better Foot Soldier, you would have foreseen them escaping and engaged them in a different manner.

Even if they removed sprinting... People will ditch heroes with shaky escaping abilities in favor of those who have reliable ones.

[Cat A] Escape Artists:

• Scientist
  • Nightcap

[Cat B] Heroes that can escape with abilities:

• Rose
  • Engineer (Using his speed boost) (He also has an upgrade that boosts movement speed once damaged, good luck shooting him!)
  • Electric Slide
  • Super Brainz
  • 80s Action Hero
  • Chomper (Burrow to escape rather than swallow)
  • Deadbeard (Barrel, can be speed boosted as well)
  • Acorn (should we count that as an escaping ability?)
  • Space Cadet (Can be considered "shaky" but the ability can be buffed and works on all directions while having higher speed than usual.)

[Cat C] Heroes with situational escaping abilities:

• Foot Soldier (with the rocket leap that can be buffed) (Situational)
  • Kernel Corn (would leap once panicking, low ceilings might obstruct proper escaping.)
  • Imp (Being small, having longer double jump time? nah he'd be a victim of sprint reduction)
  • Cactus (Highly situational)
  • All-stars (Sprint Tackle isn't really the best escaping ability but it can work in certain situations, they have to increase aim sensitivity for it to work properly)
  • Citron (Same as above, but at least both heroes have shields)
  • Snapdragon (Not a reliable way to escape but his ability might work)
  • Peashooter (Can just reach higher places with minor speed buff. He is a harder target to shoot overall.)

[Cat D] Heroes with no escaping abilites:

• Sunflower (Has no escaping abilities at all. But can be buffed using upgrades, wasting precious slots.)
  • Imp (Being small, having longer double jump time? nah he'd be a victim of sprint reduction since he has 75 HP only and there are too many splash damage weapons or damage sources.)

If they added a sprint penalty for getting damaged... Sunflower will be the main victim alongside the Imp, perhaps. The best winners will be Scientist and Nightcap because they will be able to chase slowed down targets easily as well as evading any danger better than any other heroes. All Engineer's turret victims will be punished severely by being unable to sprint after getting damaged. Once Crater Maker hits you, you will get annihilated since you won't have the chance to escape. Snapdragons would thrive as well as Chompers with their Grody Goop. Because of those 2 heroes only, capturing objectives would become a true nightmare ...etc. (Sorry, won't be talking about all heroes here)

The thing is... Most of the heroes I usually pick are from [Cat A] and [Cat B]. They have the best escaping abilities because this game has too many OHKO abilities and you can't do much without escaping.

At the end of the day, people will always find ways escape. Regardless if they implemented sprint penalties or not. Players who would hate the new system would most likely pick Scientist or Nightcap or just pick long-range heroes. 

In a game that has too many OHKO abilities, I don't really think it would be a wise decision to remove sprinting at all. It would further increase players' frustrations rather than ease them. There are too many posts in here about OP abilities. I think if they wanted to implement this system, they should inspect OHKO abilities and tune balance heroes first. Otherwise, it will be a major buff to certain heroes and a nerf to others. And the overall balance would crumble.

Sorry for the long post...

Message 28 of 42 (417 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

The more I play (and for full disclosure, I default to TT for most of my PvP matches), the less the sprinting away bothers me. However, they do mention fixing the aiming for jumping and sprinting since currently you actually go faster while jumping and sprinting. If they fix the aiming issues and perhaps the jumping while sprinting giving more speed than just sprinting, it shouldn't be as big a deal in the first place.

I also don't think it would be a big deal if they tweaked it a bit; make it harder to engage when in battle (like the self heal timer), break out of it with damage, or something. I don't think it would be a good idea to remove it from PvP altogether. 

To summarize; either just fix the issues with aiming and the sprinting runner and see how that pans out before doing anything else or give it a minor adjustment. I think we should wait for the results of the general control/aiming changes they are talking about before doing anything else with it.

Message 29 of 42 (416 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@ToastedSarnie Many kids don't know how to make their characters sprint.

😊👍

Message 30 of 42 (400 Views)