Spawn points

by dwooten77

Original Post

Spawn points

Champion (Retired)

Spawn points are a little too far back for my taste on defense.  I’m sure a lot of thought went into it but it doesn’t seem to work.  One thing that definitely needs to be fixed is the positioning at spawn.  I face the proceeding area on defense and the past area on offense.  Once I figure out the maps like the back of my hand it won’t be a problem.  But for new players this can be very off putting and frustrating.  Especially when you spawn almost two gardens back.  

Your friend-DirtDiggler

Message 1 of 3 (279 Views)

Re: Spawn points

★★★ Guide
@dwooten77 (Arrg, the forum deletes my reply every time I edit it!)

Spawn points are interesting, and something I've been thinking about also.

All things being equal, in a capture the base stage the team that spawns closest to the base will win, so spawn points are one of the developer's primary means of giving one team an advantage over the other. (Being able to spawn AIs who will capture the base for you is another thing that gives attackers an edge). I assume that in early bases the developer's want to favour the attacking team, so that matches don't frequently end on the first base, which would be boring.

Interestingly, I have noticed that the defenders win the first stage of Peachy District (the garden show) more than any other first stage. My theory is that this is because the plants spawn quite close to the base, possibly even closer than the attackers.

In GW1 and 2, because the defending team wasn't able to undo the attacking team's progress, it didn't matter if they spawned nearby to the base. Camping on the base didn't give defenders an unfair advantage like it would in BFN.

But it is the "push the payload" levels where the spawn points are particularly noticeable. In the Loggy Acres map for instance, the plants spawn an entire objective away, and may have to sprint for as long as 30 seconds to reach the payload. It is boring.

As you said, the developers will have carefully considered the spawn points to make team match-ups balanced, so I imagine that further adjustments would destroy that balance. Nevertheless, all that sprinting in Loggy Acres feels off.

I 100% agree that the direction your character is facing after spawning should be addressed. It irritates me so much I started a thread about it a while ago!
Message 2 of 3 (242 Views)

Re: Spawn points

Community Manager

@jnicol1975 Sorry about that, we unmarked your posts as spam, but then removed them again as they're now duplicates. 

Editing a large post can trigger the spam filter, unfortunately. If it happens again, please report the post, it'll help with getting it unmarked as spam quickly. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 3 of 3 (199 Views)