Space Station is way better than Oak (Zombie superiority remains a problem)

by benn1nat0r

Original Post

Space Station is way better than Oak (Zombie superiority remains a problem)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

Introduction

Hello everybody !

As you probably know by now, my name is @benn1nat0r and I only recently decided to be an active forum member. Since I decided to take the plunge, I have been receiving very kind feedback from all of you, even when a lot of people disagreed with my opinion. I initially only planned on making one post. It was about balancing and included a tier list. I listed everything I thought was op, even the things no-one seems to be talking about. I thought I needed to make my very first post because many active forum members left not too long ago and they pointed some of these issues out, but they have since been forgotten. In this post in want to re-raise attention for the fact that nearly all zombies are way better than their plant counterparts and every time a plant is buffed, everybody als for it to be nerfed again.

Since I started to post here I always tried to be as helpful as I could and keep a positive tone. I will try to formulate my concerns in the least offensive way possible. I will also try to offer fixes for the problems I mention.

This will be a multi-post series. This is part one and about Oak vs Space Station.

The weekly mode

While I wanted to write a post like this anyway, the weekly mode forced e to do it now. It shows how op most zombies are. I know many say their matches of this mode have been rather balanced, with the plants sometimes steamrolling the zombies. You have to be very (un)lucky to be in as many op zombies as I have. If you are in one of these lobbies, you will see some of the most op upgrades in the game being uses. They are used by few players, so there is no public outcry about them.

Plants vs_ Zombies_ Battle for Neighborville™_20200826191143.jpg

Space Cadet & Station vs Acorn & Oak

After playing this mode I seriously can't understand why anyone would ask for Acorn & Oak to be nerfed.

Yes, Acorn is strong, has a small hit-box and can snipe.

BUT: sniping is a problem in general and nerfing Acorn is not the solution for this.

Everyone complains about the health upgrades and second dash.

BUT: Acorn Dash is useless, because the hit-box stays in the initial position. If you want to use it like it was intended, to doge insta-kills, you still end up dying. The health upgrades are desperately needed, because they also apply to Acorn Passengers. Without these upgrades, they would have no chance of surviving at all. I personally find it to be extremely unfair Acorn has to rely on these upgrades in the first place, because the Passenger's armor was removed and Space Station gets shared health wit a health increase with every Cadet that joins.

Space Cadet might be worse than Acorn and could use a little buff, but the difference is nowhere as big as the one between Oak and Space Station. And yet, people want to see Acorn nerfed, although Acorn's upgrades are integral to Oak's survival, while Space Station alone is op already. If Cadets join it only gets worse.

Why is Space station op and god-like with Cadets?

• Better abilities than Acorn & Oak (Sap Trap was nerfed and doesn't work anymore as a result. Space Station has the already op Cratermaker with an op upgrade called "Assimilation" -> more on this later. Space Cadets each get access to a insta-kill rocket.)
  • "Assimilation" Upgrade
  • Space Cadets get homing for their primary when docked, Acorns don't.
  • Space Station has a better primary than Oak.
  • Space Station and Cadets have a shared health pool that increases with every Passenger that joins. Acorns have separate health pools that are very small, which means they instantly get melted by every insta-kill and Steam Blaster.
  • The supposed flaw of this is that Cadets go down when the Station dies, but the can just undock 1 second before this happens and then use their crazy good mobility to escape.
  • All Cadets and Station can be healed at once by Scientist, whereas Sunflower can only heal one target (or 2 using an upgrade)
  • If this Scientist is a Steam Blaster the combined DPS in one place is unheard of in the plants team.
  • But wait, there's more! Wizard can attach himself to a fully loaded Space Station, meaning they have access to Spell disaster, which spawns 6 homing over 9000 no escape orbs that deal 80 damage each.
  • They get shields. Acorns can heal themselves, but shields are better. They can be stacked. Even if the shields are destroyed, Cadets have more health due to the shared health. A healing ability for a low health Character that can't move isn't really useful if every ability in the game can insta-kill you, is it? Lumber support can't cure death, after all.

"Assimilation" Upgrade

This annoying, I mean "balanced" upgrade grants Space Station more fuel for very vanquish achieved using Cratermaker. Since BfN is designed around the teammates staying close together and nearly all game modes include a singular capture point you have to capture, this is a huge problem. The upgrade nearly completely fills the tank again. You can literally take down the entire plant team with it at once. No joke. When I first saw it I thought the player was a hacker. In ops you can float in Cratermaker for entire waves.

How could this be fixed?

• Give Acorn Passengers their armor back and / or remove the shield from 2 out of 4 docked Cadets.
  • Give (Super) Sap Trap shockwave damage back
  • Increase the damage dealt by Sap Trap of Acorn Passengers to match the damage dealt by Space Cadet's rocket.
  • Give Acorn Passenger's primary homing or remove homing from docked Cadets.
  • Add Cooldown for Space Station transformation
  • Remove Assimilation upgrade or rework it completely. A nerf won't be enough.
  • Separate Space Cadet's and Space Station's health or:
  • Disable Space Cadet undocking when the Station has reached 25% health
  • Decrease Scientist's healing rate for Space Station with every cadet that joins.
  • Only grant a joined health increase for the first 2 cadets
  • Disallow Wizard being able to join Space Station
Message 1 of 13 (896 Views)

Re: ZOMBIE SUPERIORITY is killing this game (Oak vs Space Station)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@benn1nat0rWhat? Just pick solo Acorn and Citron, and Sunflower with hard target.

I don't what are you talking about regarding "Zombie Superiority", plants have the supremacy now after the last two patches.

One more thing: just saw the image correctly, the problem here is not superiority, is unbalanced teams.

Message 2 of 13 (886 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@GutmanSca I think zombies still remain better considering Steam Blaster and Brainium Basher are so good. Some zombies have been op since the beginning and have never been nerfed (e.g. Engineer), while all good plants are nerfed quickly.

Btw Scientist is way better than Sunflower as well. He has warp and can heal large groups. His only downside is he can't shoot while healing, unlike Sunflower.

I would like to say that I would have appreciated a more detailed reply that explains why you disagree with some of my points. Edit: I really like your detailed reply in your character nerf thread Standard smile!. I disagreed with many things @Pheesley said, but he always offered to explain his opinions more. Therefore, a discussion was created that helped us to understand each others opinions more.

And as for unbalanced teams: The thing is, rank doesn't matter after rank 200. Rank is not indicative of skill. My team was very good and everyone knew what they were doing. It was just that there were undefeatable Space Stations camping at every capture point and they all had the stupid Assimilation upgrade. there was no chance of disarming the bomb. They insta-killed everyone who got close. And the All Stars were more powerful than the Citrons in all of my lobbies, believe it or not. While Citron needs some nerfs, All Star also needs the radius of his imp bomb and damage dealt by it reduced. He could insta-kill half the plant team with. The hit-box is way bigger than indicated by the explosion. this should be fixed

Note: I edited this post because the original sounded overly negative. I would like to say that I respect @GutmanSca and like many of his posts Standard smile. I didn't mean for my post to sound as negative as it was. I have now identified the elements that made it sound this way and removed them, so my feelings are more accurately represented.

I just wanted to say I like detailed feedback on my points and as his post didn't go in depth on my arguments, I said he probably didn't even read my post. I would like to apologize for this.

Message 3 of 13 (876 Views)

★★ Guide
@benn1nat0r I just played this mode and it comes down to a few things. 1. Legendary Upgrades 2. Amount of Citrons 3. Skill of Sunflower(s) 4. How many people are talking to each other in a fully decked out Space Station
Besides that, Zombie superiority has slightly dissipated. There are some times where Zombies feel unfair, but since many characters feel unfair to fight on both sides, it doesn't really feel like it is just Zombies. Lastly, this is a character restrictive mode and since this mode came out it has had issues. I do agree though that if Plants get nerfed too much, then Zombies can easily steamroll over them, we have seen it done in the past.
Message 4 of 13 (841 Views)

★★★ Pro
@benn1nat0r I agree about zombie superiority. In every single pvp lobby I log into including giddy park, almost all of the time, the zombies are dominating and spawn camping.

Devs, please nerf brainium basher in the next patch.
Message 5 of 13 (817 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Not gonna lie, I use Assimilation, Afterburners, Refreshing Revive combo in this Weekly Event and I must say that you can get tons of vanquishes with it. I’ve got quintuple vanquishes at once. Not to mention you can Space Force Crater Maker back.

I would say Afterburners is not OP, but Assimilate is. 

Space Station has always felt superior over Acorn and Oak. Like way too superior. Basically their hard counter. Crater Maker shreds high health targets. 

@benn1nat0r  Looking forward to multiple posts on these series. Great post! Standard smile

EDIT: Wrong emoji.

Message 6 of 13 (793 Views)

★★★★ Expert

@SundropDot I know plants can win this mode and Citron is very powerful. from my experience there are op plants and zombies in this mode, which means it overall balances itself quite well. they only disturbing factor to this is Space Station with the Assimilation upgrade. It is extremely op, but not many use it. Therefore, it doesn't end up being a huge problem for the game mode, but I always encounter such players when I play it. If there ae Space Stations with this upgrade, the plants don't stand a chance.

Space Station + Cadet is seriously overpowered compared to Oak + Acorn

@PineapplePiano Yes Brainium Basher desperately needs nerfing. I originally intended on comparing every plant and zombie, but feared the post would be deleted because it would have been to long. Therefore, I only ended up comparing Oak and Space Station. I will now make a series of posts and will rename this thread to focus more on Space Station.

Message 7 of 13 (783 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@TheSprinter85 I agree. Assimilation is the main op thing, besides Space Station being way too good compared to Oak as is.
Message 8 of 13 (781 Views)

Champion

However; that said @benn1nat0r, having Afterburners along with Assimilation just makes it even more powerful. Standard smile

Message 9 of 13 (773 Views)

★★ Expert
@benn1nat0r Sunflower and Rose exist.... Jumping Peashooters abusing hyper and Chompers spamming their goops, with it's AOE nature devestating in TT. Husk Hopping Corns..E.M. Peach Spammmers that allows u to win all matchups.. Need I say anymore?
Message 10 of 13 (756 Views)