Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Some encouragement for the game

by Halfjack9

Original Post

Highlighted

Some encouragement for the game

★★ Guide

Apparently Anthem is doing real well financially, primarily from game purchases obviously (not much MT going on yet). I take this as a reminder to be patient with development and the fixes. Some of my fav games in the past were crippled or killed by financial reasons, and good news is nice to see. 

Congrats to EA/BW for the first month!  Standard smileBeer

For anyone interested, there's a good Forbes article [Here]

Message 1 of 16 (321 Views)
Highlighted

Re: Some encouragement for the game

★★★★ Apprentice

Reading the article, I would say it's great BioWare will continue to exist - I think there are few gamers that would hate that idea.

I don't necessarily draw the same conclusions, though. If it rakes in a small fortune in initial purchases, that's great, but surely the decision to continue investing in development would be more based on active playerbase, and the money it's generating (or could potentially generate), than initial sales.

If the playerbase drops like a stone, there are some worrying take-homes for EA (we can sell promises, rather than content; marketing/studio reputation trumps quality; we did the right thing by closing on Anthem before it was great; and who cares about Metacritic).

I'd like to share the optimism this will be ploughed-back into Anthem, but I don't think the investment logic is as straightforward as 'the game made money! let's spend lots of that on make it even better!!', though I wish it was.

Message 2 of 16 (298 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Apprentice
Sorry if I sound cynical, but surely the biggest encouragement of all is that players collectively spent million on the promise of the great game that Anthem “COULD” be?

My view is that they haven’t delivered that for so many reasons and they literally OWE IT TO THEIR PAYING CUSTOMERS to re-invest and improve the game, so that they can deliver on their promise.

The fact that people give feedback is a sign that people haven’t given up on the game YET.
Message 3 of 16 (288 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Apprentice

Haters will hate no matter how well the game do.

Always seems bad at forums since the vocal minority gang up there to bash what they dont like or dont understand.

Message 4 of 16 (281 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Guide

Not trying to discern anything from the first month live, just found the article encouraging. Nobody should try to read anything more than that into it.

Message 5 of 16 (271 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Spectre_01101 wrote:

If the playerbase drops like a stone, there are some worrying take-homes for EA (we can sell promises, rather than content; marketing/studio reputation trumps quality; we did the right thing by closing on Anthem before it was great; and who cares about Metacritic).

I'd like to share the optimism this will be ploughed-back into Anthem, but I don't think the investment logic is as straightforward as 'the game made money! let's spend lots of that on make it even better!!', though I wish it was.

The investment logic is as straightforward as “lots of people will be happy to support the game and regularly buy shards if they see the game continuously improving.” If they left the game in the same state it was at launch, and only focused on adding more cosmetics, that would have been a different story, but so far they’ve shown they’re really listening to player feedback, and doing their best to fix the issues as quickly as it’s reasonably possible to do so without introducing new ones.

They could have released it with more content, but in all honesty, I’m not sure it would have helped. Out of the three strongholds they have at release, people are mostly running just one, because the other two take longer and have issues they clearly did not anticipate. The game could have been released with ten strongholds, and 90% of the players would still grind TM. At least now they know what kinds of considerations they need to keep in mind when designing more content in the future.

On the other hand, what this does show is that all of the doom and gloom paranoia is unfounded. The game is not dead, Bioware is not getting shut down by EA, they don’t need to add PvP to the game to “save” it, etc. And yes, Metacritic can be wrong, and if a reviewer plays the game for a couple hours and hates it, or even if all of them do, it doesn’t mean the game itself is a failure. It might not appeal to that particular critic, or even the playerbase the critic represents, but there clearly is a playerbase out there for Anthem, and it just needs to find more of the right players. Bioware is better off playing to their strengths, rather than trying to compete in oversaturated mainstream genres where their unique talents would be mostly wasted anyway.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 6 of 16 (240 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Apprentice

Cake404, I have now watched a Bioware/EA video about patch 1.04 and it does seem to have quite a few improvements, which show indeed that they are actually listening to players. I really do agree.

Whilst they basically say they have NO IDEA what is going with luck, they are moving towards the right direction, slowly but they are. Allegedly, you will get chances for bosses to drop Legendary Items and chests in strongholds.

Even before they released that video, I have been happy to give it time because I understand it takes time, however ALL my xbox friends have now lost patience because their argument is that some of the problem were so basic that it shouldn’t have been observed at launch or taken 1 month to fix.

When I logged last night, they all bought The Division 2 and someone even messaged me asking me why I was playing a broken game. The reality is that not everyone will wait around when there are other games to be enjoyed out there, I guess I can understand them and ultimately I may well follow them because half the enjoyment comes out of sharing the experience with my pals and last night was lonely. 😔

Message 7 of 16 (219 Views)
Highlighted

I worry about the game. Without player retention they could still pull the plug. I do not believe for an instant EA will continue to back this game if the player base continues to plummet.

It feels like the development team has no focus, they are all over the place. Some of the upcoming patch notes are nice, but what about fixes. Challenges that do not complete like Legendary Freelancer. Power 1 items eating inventory space which is already limited, while they fat shame colossus because his stuff take 2 slots. There is a repeatable bug at the Monitor that will end your stronghold at the first phase, making it impossible to finish. The events other than here be titans, are they even events if nobody notices them?

Trees make a noise when they fall if nobody is around to hear.

Why in tarnation do we get the same amount of reputation regardless of difficulty level? Percentages that were here, just gone this past patch, only to return next patch. Who thought less recoil was a perk worth having for a masterwork or legendary?

I only exist in a vague and undetermined state when I am not being observed.

Why are inscriptions so muddled? Even if there were only 90 possible inscriptions and you just wanted 4 and they could be in any order, it would still be a 1 in 2,555,190 chance of getting what you want, but no it's not even that simple. If they need be in the right order, it would be 1 in 61,324,560, but that is a pipe dream, because they need be in order, and can range from what to what exactly? I did not even account for gear icon versus javelin. Carl Friedrich Gauss called, he is a little upset with you Bioware

How does everyone feel about clowns, can we get a Bozo skin for the Interceptor?

I just wanted to vent for a second. The likely cause was 460 plus hours of Anthem. 

Message 8 of 16 (200 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Apprentice

@TheRealNichivo 

Very good points but I am sure someone else who “doesn’t work for Bioware / EA” will come and make some sort of comment to minimise your valid points.

I don’t see you rant, I see you passionately giving feedback that you wholeheartedly believe would make a big impact and get all players more enjoyment out of the game.

But as you said, feedback is one thing but taking actions accordingly is another.

Message 9 of 16 (182 Views)
Highlighted

★ Pro

@ECKHART974 Well said. I am in the camp that believes we were given the game we were promised, but there are plenty of improvements to be made. There’s every indication they are doing that and will continue to do so. 

Message 10 of 16 (165 Views)
Twitter Stream