Skill points in multiplayer locked behind character cards ? Why ?

by AbhijitSM

Original Post

Skill points in multiplayer locked behind character cards ? Why ?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

So i leveled my Human Infiltator to 20 & then found out that the remaining skill points are locked behind character cards. To unlock the remaining points you have to unlock the character cards upto lvl 10 (so you need 9 more cards).  I don't know why this kind of design decision was made but seems really unrewarding for a player to level up their characters to 20 & then NOT having the requisite skill points to build them the way they want. So basically i will have to rely on rng to have mercy on me to unlock these skill points for me so that i can max my builds out. I cant even imagine the amount of time it will take to unlock skill points for rare & ultra rare characters. At the moment this looks like the worst design to be implemented in multiplayer so far.

Message 1 of 9 (1,127 Views)

Re: Skill points in multiplayer locked behind character cards ? Why ?

★★★★ Apprentice

It spreads the rewards out more so you can play for longer and continue to gain benefits and bonuses. Your reward for playing more multiplayer is that you get better stuff that makes it easier and helps you progress up the difficulties. That's also the reason for the addition of the Bonus stats. They are long-term benefits of committing time to a game you are enjoying.

Message 2 of 9 (1,104 Views)

★★★★ Guide

"progression"  <1 word

Message 3 of 9 (1,100 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I think he was asking for justification for the design, no need to be rude reli. 

And "progression" isn't less than 1 word...

Message 4 of 9 (1,095 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

It is pseudo progression.  In other words it is the carrot on the stick.

Message 5 of 9 (1,088 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I think progression should not be tied to RNG. I can understand the bonus stats can be earned by just playing different characters and that isnt governed by rng at all. The more you play the better your stats would be. But locking skill points behind a rng wall is just bad. It doesn't matter if i played 500 hrs i may still not get the skill points since the card drops are total rng. On the other hand a player that has just put 50 hrs can attain those skill points on just pure luck. So how is it exactly rewarding to the player who plays more ? 

Message 6 of 9 (1,065 Views)

★★★★ Guide

that puts a light at the end of the tunnel though. as it stands now even if you spent 2000$ on the cash shop you arent guaranteed to get every item in the game. if they made it a sure thing there would be a set amount of $ you could spend to unlock everything. id rather people trying to buy their way through the game HAD to suffer on some level.

Message 7 of 9 (1,054 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Sorry but what you are saying isn't even relevant to what i am trying to state. Where did i say anything about spending money at all ? Everything in this MP is similar to ME3 mp in every way when it comes to progression except for the skill points. You could never buy your way up for weapons & non consumable/consumable equipment anyway. But locking the skill points behind a RNG wall is just too much.    

Message 8 of 9 (1,039 Views)

I'm finding the character cards are dropping fairly easily in Basic Packs.

Conventional wisdom suggests maxing Commons with Basic Packs first before getting fixated with more 'shiny' items.

Mostly following BioWare & Star Wars games. Old timer. Helping out here does not mean I work for EA so I don't have all the answers. Also hangs out on BSN. 

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 9 of 9 (1,030 Views)