Should I try to join a squadron if I apparently suck?

by BullitMagnit74

Original Post

Should I try to join a squadron if I apparently suck?

★ Guide

The subject says it all. There is no consistency in my game. Sometimes i'll get a lot of kills/few deaths, other times im slaughtered and 1 kill / multiple deaths.

I am loathe to try and join a squadron just for them to ridicule me and tell me i blow. I've seen many memes about 'with friends like that' showing people on Squadrons with 0-10 kill ratio.

And i have no multiplayer friends to play/train with either.

And even tho my HOTAS has improved after the patch, i'm still very much all over the map sometimes trying to steady the joystick. I'm still trying out diff settings to sensitivity trying to nail down that control.

I am new to the whole Discord thing and don't know how to start chats etc.

TOTAL N00B here.

So any advice on where i should go to try, or where i can go to meet some friendly likeminded non unltra competitive folk to play and train with and learn the ropes. I'm a little out of my era since being days of DOOM, StarCraft 2 and Unreal Tourny. My last real internet multiplayer fracas was during CounterStrike 1.6 days if that tells you my approx age.

Message 1 of 7 (631 Views)

Re: Should I try to join a squadron if I apparently suck?

★★★ Novice

I just play for fun. I don't really care if my team wins or loses. If you win, what do you win? Money? If the answer isn't money or lots of money, I couldn't give a hoot.

Sure it's annoying to get shot by the same guy over and over. But after the match, people move onto the next one. So just play the game however you want to play and don't worry about people criticising you.

Message 2 of 7 (599 Views)

★★ Apprentice

The problem is that if you play without friends and only with randoms, your chances of success will be random, too.

I know the problem first hand, Often I just fly with a wing of one or two and that seriously impacts my w/l ratio. Another annoying thing is that the game randomly seems to decide when a player quitting causes the match not to count, but maybe I just do not understand the system properly.

Which system/timezone are you on? Maybe we can squad up sometimes. I already got a couple of friends from UK and US on my friends list who play quite regularly these days and it would not hurt to expand the numbers of our group (that does not even have a clan name. My PSN is MAJOR_H8R 

Message 3 of 7 (573 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@BullitMagnit74 yes. join some of the discords, read about builds from people. Try new things and play with new friends. I made a squadron with some IRL fiends but have also joined another one with some cool dudes. Just do it. Most people in this community are very friendly and you will see yourself get better pretty quickly
Message 4 of 7 (569 Views)

★ Guide

At my level I'm not sure I would fly with folks who call themselves a "squadron", but even as an ace at Ace Combat I probably would have steered clear. I'd recommend finding some nice folks who aren't worried about winning, and just have fun. What with the game randomly dropping players at the start of rounds, for example, probably best not to try to play with anyone who's too keen on organized games or trying to take it too seriously.

Message 5 of 7 (561 Views)

★ Guide
@H_Lecter I'm on Steam and I'm EST zone in Toronto, Canada. I'm well beyond my clan days on CounterStrike, i just want to be able to drop in with the same(ish) group of people on the reg who a. don't mind me being not-an-ace at the start whilst b. taking me under their wing.

Mostly just to have fun. Getting dropped into a Dogfight against a real squad and getting wiped 30-5 isn't as much fun as i imagined it would :P

I'll see if i can find a way to add/invite you. Are you a Playstation player? By PSN you mean playstationnetwork? Or do you have an EA handle i can add into friends? (Like i said, total noob here0
Message 6 of 7 (524 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@BullitMagnit74 wrote:
@H_LecterI'm on Steam and I'm EST zone in Toronto, Canada. I'm well beyond my clan days on CounterStrike, i just want to be able to drop in with the same(ish) group of people on the reg who a. don't mind me being not-an-ace at the start whilst b. taking me under their wing.

Mostly just to have fun. Getting dropped into a Dogfight against a real squad and getting wiped 30-5 isn't as much fun as i imagined it would :P

I'll see if i can find a way to add/invite you. Are you a Playstation player? By PSN you mean playstationnetwork? Or do you have an EA handle i can add into friends? (Like i said, total noob here0

EA ID is H_Lecter Standard smile Send me an invite and I'll gladly accept it. Yes, PSN is Playstation Network, so just shoot me an invite to the EA ID!

May the force be with you Wink

Message 7 of 7 (490 Views)