Share your tips and tricks!

by MandatoryIDtag

Original Post

Re: Share your tips and tricks!

★★ Apprentice

Another tip for making the flying simpler until you get used to it: You can set the throttle so that it only has three states: 0%, 50% and 100%. That way you can fly at 100% throttle until you need to make a turn, and then go to 50% throttle(best turning) instantly with a single button press, without having to look at the throttle gauge, then go back to 100% with one button press again.

To do this, go to settings, change throttle from continuous to discrete, and set the minimum step to 50.

Message 21 of 31 (2,139 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Okay, after playing fleet battles for a while on random servers as well as with coordinated teams I would like to drop in my 2 cents (or rather 10 tips).

1. Communicate! Be it via voice (preferred) or just pinging targets and reacting to other pings. 
  2. Learn the flow of the battle. When you know what the enemy will be doing in the next phase and prepare accordingly, your chances to win will increase tremendously. Don't attack when you're supposed to defend. Hide in a strategic position and take out attackers from there. Don't get lured into the deadly AI fire.
  3. Be flexible with your ship class and try to find something that matches the task at hand.
  4. Experiment with setups - AI battles are perfect for this. 
  5. Situational awareness - what setups are the enemies using? Try to find a counter. It's a bit more complicated than rock - paper - scissors, but basically boils down to that principle.
  6. Perfect your boost drifting. Missiles are quite slow and you can often literally outrun them with your boost. Turn around an obstacle and boost in a different direction. Directing power to your engines while targeting your attacker should become a natural reaction in such a situation (remember tip #1 and ping him. After zooming out you can set up a new attack while he is busy fighting another squadron member.
  7. Perfect shield management and power distribution skills. If you're playing on a Thrustmaster HOTAS or similar, you can put these functions to the paddles on the thrustlever plus another button for balancing out.
  8. Don't die! You cost the team morale. 
  9. Pay attention to the scoreboard. Is the enemy squadron farming your AI fighters? That may be the reason you are always in defence. Identify the culprits and eliminate them systematically.
  10. Don't quit, it's a guaranteed loss for you and not a polite thing to do. 
Message 22 of 31 (2,077 Views)

★★ Guide

Thanks for the tips. This is exactly what I do.

MercenarySW

Squadrons - TAW Seal.png

Message 23 of 31 (2,010 Views)

★ Pro

If you're good to go before a match, click READY.

If all 10 players do, the match immediately starts.

If even one player doesn't, you have to wait for the entire countdown.

Message 24 of 31 (1,714 Views)

★★★ Guide
@Kanrei13 I'll add this: as a courtesy to all players, please sort your ships and pilots in the main menu rather than in the MP lobby.
Message 25 of 31 (1,711 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@Heavenly-Hammer I have a CH Combatstick but I can't seem to get along with the CH Control Manager. Mind to share a step-by-step tutorial for dummies?
Still fighting horrible input lag/oversteering, making this game feel like driving a 18 wheeler in space...
Message 26 of 31 (1,692 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
Hi guys, one small tip from me. Rader to outmaneuver missiles you can target a missile, boost do a 180° drift, shoot the missile and attack your attacker. It's faster and safer than run and your attacker will not have a time to shot another missile. Maybe you will need to practice this maneuver a bit but it's definitely worth it.
Message 27 of 31 (1,650 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Hi guys, maybe you can help me understand what happened here Is there a system which make you disappear from the enemy?

I totally don't have a clue what he did, but I like it.

Message 28 of 31 (1,615 Views)

★★★ Guide
@Imperialish I do believe that was sensor jammer. Cool, but it's a one trick pony.
Message 29 of 31 (1,612 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@Robbiesan11 Thanks, I need to look at it.
Message 30 of 31 (1,607 Views)