Re: Share your tips and tricks!

by MandatoryIDtag

Original Post

Share your tips and tricks!

Champion

So I imagine a number of people (myself included) are new to flight simulator games and have been drawn in by this release due to it being a part of the star wars franchise.

So to those of you with experience in this style of game I would like to request you kindly offer us poor noobs some advice to help us get our feet off the ground so to speak Wink.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 1 of 31 (15,759 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Hey! So I've played a lot of flight simulator games like Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, and No Man's Sky. My ultimate advice would be to practice, practice, and practice so you can get familiar with the controls. The best thing to do would be to play through the Story Mode since it serves as a "soft" tutorial. You will be well-equipped for some multiplayer towards the end.

EA_Joz

Joz.png
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey! If a post Answered your question, please click on Accept as Solution.
Thank players and help them 'Level Up' by giving them XP.
Want to learn more on how to level-up and become a Hero for the AHQ? Learn more about it here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/help/faqpage#ranks
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 31 (15,679 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Here’s what I would do:

1: Spend some time remapping the controls to your liking/playstyle, and try it out in the practice range. I personally couldn’t do without inverted flight and southpaw to start with, but I also quickly found out that I wasn’t at all comfortable with the targetting wheel popping up when pressing the L2 trigger (ps4) for example, so I remapped that to r3 and kept L2 without function, etc etc etc. 

2:Go to the practice range and practice maneuvers and avoiding obstacles. Get a high-acceleration engine, convert power to engines so you build up boost, and start zipping around the junkyard. Do a lot of boosting and get the drift maneuver right. I find a high-acc engine helps with that, and it’s fun! When you’re up for it, spawn a couple of mobs, lure them into the junkyard, practice finding them on your radar and of course taking them out.

3:Join a PvP game (I’d go dogfight personally but whatever) and try to dominate. If you don’t the first time, you probably will the second. Or third, sixth, tenth... Eventually you will get it.
Message 3 of 31 (15,667 Views)

Champion

Awesome thanks folks!

I didn't actually notice there was a practice mode lol, I jumped straight from campaign to dogfights and was getting obliterated, having a little trouble with switching from evasive maneuvers into attacks that are actually accurate.

I seem to be get A LOT of assists but being beaten to the punchline at the last moment by an ally swooping in and firing a missile or something to that extent. D:

I guess it all just boils down to an experience thing.

Message 4 of 31 (15,647 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Joz wrote:

Hey! So I've played a lot of flight simulator games like Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, and No Man's Sky. My ultimate advice would be to practice, practice, and practice so you can get familiar with the controls. The best thing to do would be to play through the Story Mode since it serves as a "soft" tutorial. You will be well-equipped for some multiplayer towards the end.

EA_Joz

Just wondering how practice would help at all when us HOTAS/VR users have 20% deadzones on Y and X axis and the game is unplayable in VR?
Practice on keyboard and regular monitor until a patch "may" fix this stuff that SHOULD have been found and fixed during your testers regression tests?

Fix your game!

Message 5 of 31 (15,635 Views)

★ Guide
@MandatoryIDtag never feel bad about assists.

This is "Squadrons"... not Call of Duty. Kill streaks don't mean $#!7 if your team loses. I'd rather get 15 assists and no kills vs. losing the match.

And eventually, you'll start racking up kills as you and your teammates communicate and hunt together.
Message 6 of 31 (15,618 Views)

★ Guide
@MandatoryIDtag also:

1. watch Youtube videos of people playing and see what they do, pick up on their play style.

2. Research loadouts for specific ships, pick one that you feel plays to your strength and practice the hell out of that loadout. Modify to taste.

3a. Practice doing a specific thing for an entire day. If it's learning the drift one day, it's pinging targets for your squad to attack the next day, then tracking your squadmates under fire and assisting them the next day, etc.

3b. The point is to get used to your button mappings so you click on things as second nature rather than struggling to remember what to do in a specific situation. Nothing sucks more than trying to hit the 'target attacker' button and ending up focusing your shields to the wrong side of your ship.

4. Practice flying around the debris fields doing tight turns around floating junk at as high a speed you can. The better you get control over maneuvers, the less you'll care about missiles and be able to 'stay on target'.

5. Unlearn flying head on against another fighter. Always start a match by flying out at an angle and try to circle around and take enemies from the side or back. If someone tries to go head on, forget shooting and start jinking a pitched roll to get out of their crosshairs. Only go head on with a tank.

6. Learn how to use the Target wheel. Or map specific targets to buttons so you can quickly shift between knowing where your squadmates are, mission objective, capital ship systems, etc.
Message 7 of 31 (15,565 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@BullitMagnit74  Haha yeah I guess, I'm over here from apex legends originally, the whole kill hunting habit is hard to shake off. Tongue out

Some good tips there though, thanks again!

@2RoGaming  I believe that the issue you're struggling with is known, patches don't happen instantly though. You can always file a bug report over at the appropriate section of the forums. :D

Message 8 of 31 (15,496 Views)

★★ Pro
@MandatoryIDtag Congrats on getting this pinned! I just logged on and it’s great to see the community has been swift to establish a way to help each other.

I haven’t played it yet, but I know some stuff:

- Learn manuevers (I spelt that wrong) and tactics from real life, and try and apply them
- Play the campaign. It teaches you how to do everything basic and builds up to more advanced stuff like drifting. Apparently. Also the story is reportedly not too bad, which is great as I see it would be kind of hard to fix a good plot into different maps and tutorials.
I’ll leave it at that until I’ve actually played
@BullitMagnet74 said some really good points.
Message 9 of 31 (15,461 Views)

Champion

@HCarbonic  Yup thanks!

I'm a firm believer in AHQ being about more than just grumbling about bugs. Tongue out

Always willing to do my bit to help others and I applaud anyone else who does the same. :D

Message 10 of 31 (15,437 Views)