Re: Share your gaming setup

by o1517

Original Post

★ Pro

@EA_Barry wrote:

@Vellu78

I still use Win7 on my home machine and see no reason to upgrade Standard smile

Yes, Win7 I get. But in my opinion Win10 over Win8 any day.

Message 71 of 84 (518 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

My old rig had win7, did the free upgrade to 10... was a complete travesty of an OS. About 70% of the time the start menu didn't even work, at all. So, I decided never again.

---edit

i'd have stuck with win7 if it wasn't being phased out, so at least 8 actually functions, more so then i can say from my experience with windows 10.

---edit again

guess i should note that my current monitor is a 55in samsung 4k uhd tv plugged into my gpu's hdmi port.

Message 72 of 84 (502 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hi all

Dont feel bad, I too trying to stay with win 7 as long as possible. Win 10 is BUGGY!!! never runs right. Have several laptops with touchscreens, went to free upgrade. But it has been less then optimal, In one year two total loss of OS, non hard drive related, lost all my data twice, only good thing win 10 will allow reinstall if you have used email to register at MS store. Both once a month on update loose drivers and function have to reinstall. One had excellent OEM touchscreen driver with lots o functions, win 10 refuses to allow, have to use MS driver at functionality loss. Every month try to reinstall, just to keep my touchscreen!!!

Win 7 is by far there best OS (been here since win 95!!!). Win 10 is also doing the google grab: they say you have privacy? Ha they monitor almost everything you do like google. I am temtped to go Linux, but not enough knowledge to use and would lose many of my games(windows versions)

Message 73 of 84 (463 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Novice

Hi all

I posted my setup earlier, but is a mix of old and new. Have to pay bills and survive, budget like crazy to be able to get my rig. i consider it lower mid-level range. Hope to keep it 2-3 years before have to upgrade, time will tell. hang in there, buy one piece at a time, Look for online coupons and sales, you would be amazed what you can get on eBay if you look weekly. .....

Its your rig and dream !!! Go for it!!!

Message 74 of 84 (460 Views)

Community Manager

I have a rig that's getting on a bit at this stage. I have an i5-4690k, a GTX 970, a small SSD for the OS and my current special game, and a couple of HDDs for storage. 

i'll probably upgrade in 2 years or so, for now it'll run anything I want to play. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 75 of 84 (450 Views)

★★★ Pro

@o1517

my first pc was a packard bell with a dual DOS, Windows 3.1 setup. those were the days... the days that were never as good as we remember them to be, rose tinted what-have-you.

Message 76 of 84 (424 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi all

Good ole days!?!  Dos 2.0 thru 6.0 then win 3 win 3.1 the win 95............................ seems like hundreds of years ago in internet time Standard smile

Message 77 of 84 (414 Views)

EA DICE Team

@o1517

That's strange! I really love Windows 10 and luckily never had any issues with it so far.  

I do agree that Windows 7 was an absolute great OS though. It served me well for many years. Though, I personally love how straightforward Windows 10 is. It does everything for me mostly.

@CasperTheLich @o1517

I think the hardest thing to go back to one of those old systems would be their speed. Currently, my system boots up in about 20 seconds max and I'm ready to go. Now imagine all the waiting on the old systems.. :D

I do have to admit that I loved playing around in DOS back in the day. As a child, it was a lot of fun exploring all the commands and folders. Even if it didn't really do anything..

@master2g

So, I went ahead and finally treated myself to a 4K TV. I settled for the LG 55UH850V. 

It's not OLED, which I would have loved, but I didn't feel like spending double the price for it. The TV itself is great so far! Especially considering that I'm coming from a 32" - my PS4 games look amazing on it :-)

And that brings me one step closer to the dream of having an awesome gaming room like yourself! Party hat

Message 78 of 84 (404 Views)

★★ Pro

@Straatford87

Man there is nothing but high end goodness with your choice. I to would love to go a larger OLED for my HT room some day but IMHO Oled is still in its early stages .The life span of oled is still pretty short in relation to the cost one pays. So to me i want to wait until it has more development time and the price starts to drop. So really your LG set has every thing one needs and more for the next few years. I mean lets look at the features....

HDR IPS Quantum 10 bit display

1 billion color plus capable. and Ultra Luminance

Dolby Vision

So yeah  i can believe it does indeed look down right awesome. Considering LG makes a lot of panels for other companies , including the AH-IPS panel in my Dell U3014 one could believe that they save the best for their own TVs and monitors . I watched a few high def videos on your LG and it does have a really detailed display doesn't it. Plus thats in a video with YouTube compression so i can imagine how awesome it look in person. Maybe i will swing by some time and check it out......er wait im in Canada...yeah i probably wont make it over then cause the gas bill is a going to be bit much and i aint hitchhiking :P

So this video displays the picture quality pretty good imho .  Now its in German but no matter I think the visuals speak for them selves.

Sweet buy my friend . :eahigh_file:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR4S-qmAmbM

Message 79 of 84 (389 Views)

EA DICE Team

@master2g

I always have an instant case of buyer's remorse the moment I've made my decision. Luckily your awesome message immediately got me over that for this TV.. Large smile

Like you also mentioned, OLED is still it in it's early stages for consumer availability. I can't wait for it to become the new standard! I think it's an awesome piece of technology.

Cheers,

Message 80 of 84 (385 Views)