Re: Share your gaming setup

by Straatford87

Original Post

★★ Pro

My nephew has a sweet 144hz monitor as well and there is a difference. I am capped at 60 fps with v sync and even now when i upgraded my 780ti to my current gtx 1080 i could see a smoother game play at a constant 60fps. So imagine what a 144 hz monitor can do. . You will have some great gaming with your monitor my friend.

Message 51 of 84 (646 Views)

★★ Pro

@Straatford87

Well bud if a fellow is able to come up with the money first and foremost then I see it in two ways. A- saving up that money usually equates to busting your butt off and B- it is going to be appreciated because you had to bust your butt off for it. So those two things justifies it in my book. Plus whats the point of all that hard work if one cant dip into the cash flow on the rare occasion and get them self some cool tech. If you are able and it is what you are going to use a lot then go for it. I felt the same way when i saw the price of my U3014....i was like who in their right mind would cash out that kind of coin for a monitor. In the end it was well worth it because it did , still does every thing i wanted it to do and unless it dies on me i will be using it for a long time. Same goes for the monitor you choose ,Thus justifying the price right. Just my 2 cents my friend Standard smile

Message 52 of 84 (657 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Straatford87 wrote:

@Fred_vdp @master2g

Definitely a nice pick! Especially since it's priced so well.

I've been looking at some 27" 144 hz monitors and the prices were so insane that I didn't feel like I could justify the purchase. 

How are the colors etc one this one?

A lot of people claim that it looks washed out at factory settings, but I came from such a bad monitor that it was a big leap in quality. I then followed someone's advice on Reddit on color settings and it looks very vibrant now.

The 27'' model of this monitor is not that much more expensive. It's $300 on Amazon, which is still less than I paid for the 24'' due to higher Belgian prices.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 53 of 84 (650 Views)

★★ Pro

@Fred_vdp

No matter the price range for the most part a good research and tweak session on a video or audio item can really bring it to life. I have calibrated many systems so i can back that statement up. Like you say , tweaking your monitor really stepped it up. Points to you for taking the time to dial it in.

Message 54 of 84 (630 Views)

Re: Share and discuss your gaming setup

★★★★ Novice

I know a guy with a stack about 3 feet high of 1 Mb hard drives ($1000 each) that were used on a PD-P8 computer he loaded with punched tape. About 5 years ago I finally threw out a case that weighed 70 lbs and came on a pallet. I put $10k of parts into that case. I can say it was very, very hard to throw it away because I could still be using it (I'm good with mods), but it made no rational sense to keep that huge thing in the house. I still have cabinets of components not good enough to donate. hmm .... time to trash them.

So now I make do. Advice: stay behind the leading edge of technology. You get nothing for the extra money. Andromeda plays at Ultra on a Asus Maximus VI Hero with 4790K at 4.4 Ghz and 32 Gb of 2133 GSkill ram. The recommended was a GTX 1060 so I got an EVGA GTX 1070 and make do. I boot on a 500 Gb SSD (yes it's 2.5" and I wish for M.2 but not ready to replace EVERYTHING for the gains. Three hot swap bays in an old all aluminum Lian Li PC-60 with my mods beats every case on the market. I honestly wish it didn't. I LIKE new stuff!!! I just can't justify it. I did choose a huge Cooler Master sink and all the fans are Noctuas that at the time were $50 each. They're still going strong with cores at 35C constant within a degree or so. Way to keep an electronic device new? Limit turning it off and on. Worst thing you can do is put components through thermal shock. This is a 30 year engineer type guy. Nice setup. Good luck.

Message 55 of 84 (608 Views)

★★★★ Novice

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313&ignorebbr=1

It's NOT 4K. It is 1 ms gtg and 144 hz and it looks great. Got HDMI, Displayport and DVI. Forget the speakers. Same as all monitor speakers ... not so good. Ergonomics are good, but I use a $35 clamp on the desk mount from the same seller. I'm sure you can find similar.

Just one more option. I came from Viewsonic and was shocked at the difference. Not good enough to give away.

Message 56 of 84 (605 Views)

EA DICE Team

@Ghimmy51

Great setup you got there!

And it's funny that @Fred_vdp actually also just bought the monitor that you're referring to. It does seem to be really popular.. Standard smile

Message 57 of 84 (592 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Must admit I didn't see Fred's post about the monitor before recommending it to him. lol I'd like the 27" of course, or even three of them for a wide experience, but cost and space keep it from happening. Can't stress enough how much that $35 mount changes things. Nice to pull the thing to you and guess what? It looks BIGGER! lol

Message 58 of 84 (582 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Oh! I'm going to love posting this! LOL! I actually have 2 setups. As I told @EA_Tom a couple days ago, my recent build was created so I could play BattleFront. My 1st setup is an Asus ROG G72GX I purchased back in 2010. I've been able to play every game flawlessly right up to SWBF. Not bad for an 8 year old system!

Specs:

2.5Ghz C2D (Unlocked)

8 Gig DDR2-800

NVidia GTX-260M with 1Gig VRAM

2 500 Gig 7200RPM Western Digital Blue HD's

My second build was done just so I could play SWBF but, I made sure I could get plenty of years out of it like I did my G72 (This is why I will always be a PC Gamer over being a Console Gamer)

Specs:

Asus P8H67-M PRO MB

3rd Gen 3.4Ghz i7 (Unlocked)

16 Gig DDR3-1600

NVidia GeForce G505 1GB (Onboard)

NVidia GeForce GTX-750Ti 2Gig DDR5 (PCIe Slot 1)

NVidia GeForce GT-530 2Gig DDR3 (PCIe Slot 2)

Kingston 240Gig SSD

2 2TB 7200RPM Western Digital Blue HD

2 500 Gig 7200RPM Western Digital Blue HD

Both PC's as well as a small server and, my development box are connected via HDMI through a 4-Port HDMI KVM Switch to a ProScan 32inch 1080p Display.

I also have a 4 port USB switch that I plug my peripherals through. I plug a 10-port USB strip into that and then run those to the USB on the boxes.

Peripherals:

Saitek Cyborg V7 Keyboard

Saitek Cyborg R.A.T. 3 mouse

Saitek X-45 Joysticks

CH-Pro USB Rudder pedals

Logitec G13 Game Pad

Razor Nostromo Game Pad

ZBoard KU-0536 Game Pad

I'm also in the process of designing a switch and button panel using a Raspberry Pi / Arduino combination to make a small Sim-pit.

I know it looks a little excessive but, as a 53 year old Electronic / IT / Software Enginner, I can finally afford to go all out in my "Hobby". My wife and I are in the process of buying a new house were I will finally have a dedicated "Man Cave". Once all set up, I will post pics.

My wife has rolled her eyes so much over the last couple of years that I'm pretty sure we are going to have to schedule surgery to move them back up front LOL! Large smile

Message 59 of 84 (563 Views)
Highlighted

EA DICE Team

@BadJasper wrote:

Oh! I'm going to love posting this! LOL! I actually have 2 setups. As I told @EA_Tom a couple days ago, my recent build was created so I could play BattleFront. My 1st setup is an Asus ROG G72GX I purchased back in 2010. I've been able to play every game flawlessly right up to SWBF. Not bad for an 8 year old system!

Specs:

2.5Ghz C2D (Unlocked)

8 Gig DDR2-800

NVidia GTX-260M with 1Gig VRAM

2 500 Gig 7200RPM Western Digital Blue HD's

My second build was done just so I could play SWBF but, I made sure I could get plenty of years out of it like I did my G72 (This is why I will always be a PC Gamer over being a Console Gamer)

Specs:

Asus P8H67-M PRO MB

3rd Gen 3.4Ghz i7 (Unlocked)

16 Gig DDR3-1600

NVidia GeForce G505 1GB (Onboard)

NVidia GeForce GTX-750Ti 2Gig DDR5 (PCIe Slot 1)

NVidia GeForce GT-530 2Gig DDR3 (PCIe Slot 2)

Kingston 240Gig SSD

2 2TB 7200RPM Western Digital Blue HD

2 500 Gig 7200RPM Western Digital Blue HD

Both PC's as well as a small server and, my development box are connected via HDMI through a 4-Port HDMI KVM Switch to a ProScan 32inch 1080p Display.

I also have a 4 port USB switch that I plug my peripherals through. I plug a 10-port USB strip into that and then run those to the USB on the boxes.

Peripherals:

Saitek Cyborg V7 Keyboard

Saitek Cyborg R.A.T. 3 mouse

Saitek X-45 Joysticks

CH-Pro USB Rudder pedals

Logitec G13 Game Pad

Razor Nostromo Game Pad

ZBoard KU-0536 Game Pad

Great setup(s), and lot's of cool peripherals to play around with! Standard smile

I'm also in the process of designing a switch and button panel using a Raspberry Pi / Arduino combination to make a small Sim-pit.

I know it looks a little excessive but, as a 53 year old Electronic / IT / Software Enginner, I can finally afford to go all out in my "Hobby". My wife and I are in the process of buying a new house were I will finally have a dedicated "Man Cave". Once all set up, I will post pics.

@master2g also posted cool pics of the gaming room in the beginning of this thread. I would encourage you to check it out as well as it look's great!

My wife has rolled her eyes so much over the last couple of years that I'm pretty sure we are going to have to schedule surgery to move them back up front LOL! Large smile 

I'm still young, so I've set that as a life goal.. ;-)

Message 60 of 84 (554 Views)