Re: Share your favorite Game Soundtracks

by Straatford87

Original Post

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Straatford87

I used to just have it all stashed under my bed, but a while ago a room here freed up by my brother moving out, and I recently decided to claim one of the closets standing there to store my old Westwood games collection. Though my other games are just in this small-ish DVD rack/closet kinda thing with a glass pane door. It's about 40% series (Fullmetal Alchemist takes up way too much space in there. I need to get me some multi-disc boxes for it), 50% movies and 10% games.

My audio CDs are all just lying in big stacks on my nightstand next to my bed though. They're for my CD alarm clock. I figured out a long time ago it doesn't like home-burnt CDs for some reason, so I only feed it originals Large smile

I'm a kinda chaotic person, lol.

EA_Tom wrote:

I agree with you on the combat part - I usually take those out from my playlist as they take me out of the relaxation vibe.

...which is really hard to do if they don't make them separate tracks Angry Disappointed

But, yea, the Mirror's Edge soundtrack definitely one of my favourites too. A level usually has this one relatively short looping tune of about a minute long, but it has about five varieties of it, and it fades smoothly to the next one as you progress through the level. Especially in the Kate Puzzle level that transition was beautiful, noticeably changing the music every time you managed to reach a spot closer to the end goal. I just love how the small varieties just keep surprising me.

fun fact, I actually won Mirror's Edge in a contest on a Command & Conquer fan website. I had originally won some FIFA game (which, honestly, doesn't interest me at all), but the site owner only had the xbox version, and I didn't have an xbox, so he let me choose from some other prize games he had lying around. Did a quick google on them all, picked Mirror's Edge, and never regretted it for a single second Cool

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 31 of 37 (651 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

That is some serious rad max payne 3 soundtrack @spitfiresiemion. I will remember that soundtrack, next time I'll be doing my hit-cardio. All though I like it without vocals. And I must add, to the post @Nyerguds made with the soundtrack of mirrors edge. Amazing soundtrack over all indeed I really like it to be honest.

Message 32 of 37 (639 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Okay, about Max Payne 3 and that section, massive spoilers for the whole franchise below (as it's kind of necessary). If you didn't play, read at your own risk.

Spoiler
At that stage, Max is pretty much a broken man. When he lived in the States and worked in Drug Enforcement Administration, his wife and child were murdered and he was framed for murder of his partner. He managed to kill the people who caused it with help of some members of the underground. Later, he got a job in NYPD, once again got mixed up in the underworld, ended up in kind of an affair with Mona Sax, an assassin he first met during events of first Max Payne. This time Max got betrayed by his old associate (a Russian mob boss), who killed Mona and tried to kill Max. Sometime after these events, Max fell deeper into alcoholism and painkiller addiction and ended up killing a son of local crime boss in a bar fight. With some help he managed to flee from NYC and started working as a private security contractor in Brazil. He hated the job and hated people he protected (an influential family, with 3 brothers involved in politics and economy being a key part of it)... and on top of that, ghosts of the past have been haunting him more and more.

Well, things went to hell in Brazil too. Wife of his contractor was kidnapped, rescue mission failed, and then one of 3 brothers (not the contractor) got assassinated. Max blames himself for what happened, stops drinking, shaves his head and goes into the favela on despair mission to save that wife. Things go bad, it turns out that special forces co-operated with favela gangs, the wife is killed and another brother is necklaced by the thugs. In a chain of events that unfolded later, it turned out that the third brother (contractor) was involved in organ trafficking and orchestrated the deaths of the rest of his family in order to gain political power. In final hour of the game, Max goes on what practically is a suicide mission to take that guy out. Airport shootout scene happens about 10 minutes before final fight.

Basically, this song refers to the fact that Max lost everything dear to him and, at some point, started acting in a way where he invited trouble just because somewhere inside he wanted it all to end... and that he couldn't let go of the past. Man on a suicide mission, with no self-preservation instinct, pushing towards the end. 

Oh, and by the way, that song was a finalist for "Best Song in a Game" award in 2012 Spike Video Game Awards.

---------------------------------------------------------------
If you think that someone's post helped you, feel free to press the 'Grant XP' button. If someone's instructions helped you solve your problem, please press 'Accept as Solution', so that other people with the same problem can easily find the solution in the future.

I am a volunteer moderator and I don't work for EA. All opinions expressed are my own.
Message 33 of 37 (631 Views)

★★★★ Novice

My favourite game soundtrack is defnitely from DRAGON AGE INQUISITIONS!!!!!~

Do you know the part where the inquisitor reaches Skyhold and the title comes out it blew my mind and heart off , and my body!

The composition is lovely the game is great i love DRAGON AGE!!!!

Message 34 of 37 (625 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

@Nyerguds

So you're a bit messy, but at least you still have all of them! I used to collect the boxes the games came in (the big ones from the 90's) and the game manuals. Sadly, after a couple of times moving around I got rid of all of them - I still regret it.

Sooo..... don't lose them! Devil

That's a cool fun-fact about how you were introduced to the game. So I have to ask.. are you one of those lucky people that wins all the time? Large smile

@spitfiresiemion

Wow - that was really powerful. I thought it would be something like that. I was really curious so I'm glad that I found out, but also a little disappointed in myself for being so curious and just going for the spoiler..

By the way, your story gave me a great idea for another thread: Your most powerful moments in gaming. I bet there's a lot of interesting stories there as well.

@RyuAlfred

Heya.. welcome to this thread! I'm glad that you've found your way from the intro thread into some other cool stuff we've got going on.

If you want, you can share some YouTube videos of your Dragon Age favorites! Let me start of with this one for the Brecilian Forest - I really loved that zone, it had such a great vibe:

Message 35 of 37 (603 Views)

Hero

@Straatford87

@Straatford87 wrote:

So I have to ask.. are you one of those lucky people that wins all the time? Large smile

The trick is to choose competitions without many competitors 

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 36 of 37 (586 Views)

EA DICE Team

@Nyerguds

You play it strategically.. I can appreciate that. But then again, you're probably used to playing it strategically if you've been playing so much C&C.. Large smile

Message 37 of 37 (569 Views)