Re: Share your Game art!

by Straatford87

Original Post

EA DICE Team

@Nyerguds

No wonder I missed it then Standard smile

So looking at the video that you showed me let me to another video containing all GDI cutscenes - it's all really well done if you think about how old the game actually is!

Message 11 of 116 (714 Views)

Hero

@Straatford87

They actually invented their own new video compression format to pull that off. Real pioneers Standard smile

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 12 of 116 (706 Views)

EA DICE Team

@Nyerguds

Even more impressive.

I would say that it is fair to raise a virtual mug for the good old Westwood. To wherever you geniuses might be now, here's to you! Beer

Message 13 of 116 (697 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Straatford87

Well, it's not too amazing compared to modern compression technologies; all of C&C1, including the expansion, actually fits on a single 700 MB CD when putting all videos inside a rar file, so even just with purely lossless compression it can still stand to be compressed quite a bit more Tongue out

But yeah, back then, they did some interesting work. Vector Quantized Animation. Apparently it's like jpeg, but not in square blocks, but in shapes divided by lines. Hence 'vector'.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 14 of 116 (685 Views)

EA DICE Team

@Nyerguds

Are you in to that type of stuff, as you've also done some modding for C&C?

Can't say that I'm knowledgeable about that myself, but I love seeing creativity in others.. Standard smile

Message 15 of 116 (657 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Straatford87

Not really. Well, I made a font editor for the games a while ago, but those are uncompressed graphics. Never really dug into compression stuff, especially not video compression.

But a name like "vector quantized animation" sounds so peculiar you can't help but google it :D

Message 16 of 116 (650 Views)
Highlighted

EA DICE Team

@Nyerguds

Haha - yeah I googled it because it was indeed a peculiar name. But at the same time it could very well be that you were an expert at it or something.. Large smile

Message 17 of 116 (641 Views)

@Straatford87@Nyerguds you guys...you....You had to remind me how cool Kane was originally, before becoming the religious fanaticStandard smile

Joe Kucan did an amazing job in portraying one of the most known villains in videogaming history. I still hope to see him again in a new C&C game, one that will be better than the C&C4. Would also love to see a new C&C/RA crossover with Kane in it, just like the original games did. I can bet that with the right writer won't be that hard. And i love those FMV's used in C&C, RA and the Dune series (plus a number of other games). 

@Nyerguds nice drawings. Brought back so many memories. Playing C&C/RA at LAN parties was all the rage in our small band of misfits. Those battles were on epic scaleStandard smile

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 18 of 116 (630 Views)

EA DICE Team

@ivrognard

I agree that he did a great job -  he is definitely a villain that will always stay with me.. Standard smile

Message 19 of 116 (623 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

I'm actually writing a story that similar to the stories that connect all disney movies, in the story all EA Games are in the same universe, I would post in here but it's kinda long already, but I'll share the big idea, the story take place in the Fashion District in San Mysuno, and is about a high school student, he learn in History about WW1, he lrean in the same class with Alex Hunter and his best friend is an Asari in disguise, he will learn about the civil war that happen in July 14, 2015 and left an entire city abounded, and will try to build a time machine to "cancel" thew war, but end up travelling between times and encunter mythological creatures and the giant war from the future, the Normendy vs the Ishimura

Message 20 of 116 (610 Views)