Servers - Will we get them?

by PPNSteve

Original Post

Re: Servers - Will we get them?

★ Pro

@PPNSteve wrote:
@FearNoTearsWhat we need is a good mix of 3rd party community ran and EA/DICE "official" servers so the player base (and gaming clans/communities) can choose their own game experience.

Yes and a browser that shows them all to you.

Message 71 of 202 (755 Views)

★★ Guide
@Forkbeard84 yes, indeed.

I'd love to see BattleLog return..stats, server browsers, events, and general community building features.
Message 72 of 202 (720 Views)

★★ Guide

I’m getting a crap feeling that it’s not going to happen. 

I think if it doesn’t then the game will hype at launch but Just go the same route as bf1/5 

badmins are rare 

I ran many servers and kept them populated with fair rules and balance. It must of works as we kept 6/6 servers full. 

but as someone mentioned, I feel console is the priority now and not pc. 

Message 73 of 202 (719 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@PeppaPigKilla wrote:

I’m getting a crap feeling that it’s not going to happen. 

I think if it doesn’t then the game will hype at launch but Just go the same route as bf1/5 

badmins are rare 

I ran many servers and kept them populated with fair rules and balance. It must of works as we kept 6/6 servers full. 

but as someone mentioned, I feel console is the priority now and not pc. 

I have the same feeling, but I think, more than ever, that there's a good argument for EA/DICE to give dedicated/private servers some serious consideration. Obviously it looks like a good proportion of the playerbase is interested in them, if not to rent and host one, then to at least game on them. That's your base level argument for having them.

However, I also think gaming has changed since the launch of BFV. Twitch is mature and more popular than ever, Discord has grown massively in the past few years. "Influencers" and Streamers are big as well. A big name BF streamer, being able to host his own games on his own server would be a HUGE plus to hyping BF2042. Discord owners would surely be interested in having a dedicated server for their members/Discord. This is where the argument is won or lost I think.

At this exact moment, BFV has 994 viewers across whatever streams, BF4 has 3.4k viewers. Obviously this is small numbers compared to the likes of MW or PUBG. Dedicated servers could help that, I feel.

Message 74 of 202 (690 Views)

★★ Guide
@CampFreddy365 You’re absolutely right, I agree with everything you’re saying.

Message 75 of 202 (686 Views)

★★ Guide

@FearNoTears wrote:
@Astound-rQ wrote:

I don't understand why we can't have Battlepass systems and cosmetics shops available, while also having either direct or 3rd party hosting services available (including full admin rights to manage/customize modes, maps, functionality to balance teams, etc...).

Some people are concerned that Battlepasses and new content releases would be certain to eliminate this as a possibility... Why exactly?

I don't understand why it wouldn't be possible for EA to either provide hosting through a partnership with AWS or simply contract out those services to another company.  They will be missing the mark if they go without some sort of solution to this. Here's to hoping they hear our concerns before it's too late.

You're right I don't have a clue what you are saying. I'm all for customizing, unless it excludes snipers or limited snipers, but only snipers is okay. ; ) I don't like rules or being controlled. Don't like admits with the power to kick and feel like I'm playing the game with someone's thumb on me trying to hold me down.

I think their more focus on console and PC is less priority. High gpu prices aren't helping PC.

Options are key....if there are dedicated/rental servers and they have a bunch of bs rules (i.e can't be within 50m of an opponents spawn area, can't this can't that... excluding the obvious, cheating) then I just don't join. 

With this game, if all is as it seems, myself and my clanmates can keep the little 11 yr olds that talk s### and tie up mic with nonsense....and or pretend mods barking rules, out of our room....and just roll with and against AI.......in big, bad-a@@ maps 🍺😎🍺 

Message 76 of 202 (684 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

I'm not sure I can handle another Battlefield without some sort of dedicated servers at launch. Until I have the answer to this questions, I am holding off on the preorder.

It's like Dice doesn't want us to play with friends or have any sense of community. Just login, join a server, and spend money on the store.

Message 77 of 202 (668 Views)

★★★★★ Pro

Let the players decide how they want to play!

Offer custom servers as a revenue stream and give the admin paying for that server as many options as possible to customize the gaming experience there.  Hardcore mode, bots or no bots, infantry only, no weather events, night mode, . . . whatever.

I agree with previous comments that those could be used to market the game through Twitch and other streaming platforms.  People would probably line up to join their favorite Twitch streamer's server and take a shot at killing them or making the Twitch feed.

Message 78 of 202 (670 Views)

★★ Novice

Dedicated servers (ranked) run BY the community is what gives life TO the community.

Matchmaking is a horrendous, impersonal way to play games with strangers all the time.

Community run servers allow us to find like-minded people and enjoy an actual sense of familiarity, belonging, friendship, whatever you want to call it.

Message 79 of 202 (619 Views)

★ Guide

Same here. In fact this could be something that makes me not purchase the game as someone who enjoys organized competitive play. 

Message 80 of 202 (605 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help