Re: Troubleshooting for EA/Respawn and Multiplay

by apostolateofDOOM

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@DoYaSeeMeI don't deny there's likely a cost and potentially a heavy one for them over time but with more comp teams entering the fray, i think it'll be a worthy investment if they get to it asap.  You're right though, it's a complex subject and i admit i lack experience but as an end user all i can do is highlight an issue that we have and provide as much information as possible for them to determine where the problem is and improve it, if possible. I still believe they can.

Mine isn't an isolated or even rare case as most people experience these issues but some don't know how to express that constructively instead of the ''EA/Respawn servers are trash'' or ''fix your game'' or ''they just want money and don't care about users experience as it's a business'' ect.. I wanted to develop the thread in a positive way that people could interact and possibly have a positive outcome from and i welcome input from people like you who know more on the subject, even if we disagree.

I have learnt a bit over the course of this thread and more confident now they could make those improvement if they decided to, but yes, it'll cost them to do it but they have the resources if it's pushed through multiple avenues feeling it's wanted and a worthy investment.

@OldTreeCreeper It's been that long since i watched it i barely remember. Time to hit up some old classics! Last time i did that in sci fi i lost nearly 3 months. Party hat

Message 111 of 148 (1,104 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@DoYaSeeMe ''Their former lead network engineer, Jon Shiring, was pretty open to the public. You can find some interesting bits about the Titanfall 2 servers and game engine and some messaging between him and Battle(non)sense in that link in your inbox Standard smile''  If i can draw you back in for a moment? Tongue out

The link you sent me: "Tickrate is about ai and not about player experience at all." GGWP : titanfall (reddit.com)

The conclusion of that discussion is basically Jon (imslothy) contradicting himself trying to sidestep what people were asking about throughout (which was pretty clear what they were asking and devs do have a habit of overcomplicating things Tongue out) playing word games about what they use internally being different to most other titles with one of the last posts being...

''Yes, I agree about the contradictions. u/slothy seems hung up on the semantics. When random people in the community show their concern by asking about "tickrate" -- they are really asking about the server-to-client update rate. After hearing his responses for a while now, I think he knows this, but doesn't want to focus attention on the 20hz update rate because he believes the cost-to-benefit ratio of using anything higher doesn't make sense for their game. Fair enough. If it is simply a business decision, I can understand that. But don't sit here and tell your hardcore fan base that you've got a cutting edge FPS networking implementation. I'm sure it's a model of robustness and efficiency when it comes to minimizing operating costs, but 20hz has no place anywhere as an update rate to the world state in any fast paced FPS game.

Probably, the subset of players who actually care that much about the game to hope for a baseline of 60hz are too few to matter to them, from a design perspective.''

After reading it all, this last post makes a lot of sense. As ranked and casual are already split ques and i know it will use a lot more server resources and increase their costs but like custom lobbies in other games, couldn't we have higher refreshed environments for ranked and comp? 

Message 112 of 148 (1,063 Views)

★ Guide

This post is so well done. I hope you get acknowledge man

Message 113 of 148 (1,024 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@apostolateofDOOMI hate the fact you are almost begging this guys to solve a problem that is obviously on their end, needs to be taken care of since at least 1 year ago, and they have the courage to deny it in the face of an entire community. And what is worst, to the face of fidel customers that stuck to this game for more than 2 years now.

Honestly, the only feeling i get is that these guys do not care. All their actions remark that:
- They don't care about NO DAMAGE REGISTER (today i had the worst experience in 2 years regarding this, literally NO DAMAGE)
- Season 8 was a recycled map (barely 20% of it), a recycled legend (fuse is a male Bangalore basically), recycled anniversary skins, recycled useless crap servers, recycled attitude...
- Cheap battle pass with very few good things, and nothing worth it after level 50...
- Quests are not even real anymore, just comics..
- NEVER, I got a solution not an authorized EA/Respawn voice to the same issues with servers
- The forum has more than 10k posts complaining about servers. Never a solution

Now I see your post, SO MUCH WORK on it, so many expectations, so much kindness, and this people basically pissing on it like it was nothing...

If I made the same thing they do in my own job, I'd get fired in the blink of an eye.. I honestly cannot believe the attitude, but in the end I understand it:
- They feed us garbage and we eat it every day, why would they give us something different right? And even less when this product is in the end of its lifecycle, with a reduced budget, and still making money... Honest, would us make anything different just for honor's sake?

So, if we want these people to do something, we need to act as the pissed off customers we are and stop playing like we do every day. Maybe that way they will understand, or even make a better game than this one.

Message 114 of 148 (1,012 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@hggrreew1111  Thank you for your kind words. 

@RayleenKovacs I'm already at that point of not really playing now. I stopped for couple seasons and returned to be met with annoying LTMs forced upon us, ranked in its worst state, more recycled skins, more ddos attacks, buggy gameplay and servers going from one extreme to the next each match on top of the huge list of other well known issues we've all spoken about that haven't changed over the past 2 years and why i created this so we could get those 10k server threads into one so we could highlight it's not all a users end troubleshooting issue.

It's probably all in vain but they have the means, resources and feedback to act on it, if they choose.

Message 115 of 148 (971 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@apostolateofDOOM Hey not sure if this has been mentioned here. When I solo queue my in/out is the same at around 17. As soon as I play with my friend the in/out goes to 90/20 making the game feel really bad. He is selecting the same server as I am.
Also needs to be addressed.
Message 116 of 148 (915 Views)
Highlighted

Message 117 of 148 (4,137 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

I don’t really give a **** on how the servers work. It’s absolutely okay to criticize respawn for their lack of communication on the topic of servers and cheating in this game rather than defending them and having the “it iz what it iz” mentality. 

Message 118 of 148 (860 Views)

Re: Servers: Troubleshooting for EA/Respawn and Multiplay

★★★★★ Expert
@apostolateofDOOM as a doctor with a technical knowledge of a goldfish when it comes to these kinds of stuff, I thank you for the effort you’ve put into this. I know that game development is not easy at all but we need to get better service from then when we’re paying a lot of money for their game.
Message 119 of 148 (851 Views)

Re: Servers: Troubleshooting for EA/Respawn and Multiplay

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@Cheese9Man Thank you. I don't either really but instead of just highlighting performance issues, i thought it might be better to bring up various topics that could be related as it'll promote conversation from those that know more on servers/networking/game dev or other associated fields which can add to the thread over time. Users could learn a thing or two from this too.

The thread was created for discussion and to reduce the spamming ''your servers are trash'' threads every other day from some that have done the troubleshooting and been playing quite awhile as they all go nowhere and it also reinforces it's a structural/backend issue when players have gone though that process. We all see them either in our own gameplay or on streams and I doubt this thread does or ever will have all the answers but lays out our issues in a reasonably constructive way for them to address with at least some suggestions in comparison to others.

Respawn communicating on why things are the way they are, their limitations and what would need to be done to make those changes would be beneficial imo.

Message 120 of 148 (816 Views)