Server confusion!

by pnkwolves

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Server confusion!

★ Novice

What I don’t understand is why am I being connected to the Virginia server but I live closer to the South Carolina server and when I go to the data center Virginia has a better ping than South Carolina but I live substantially closer?!

Message 1 of 5 (393 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Server confusion!

★ Pro

Being physically closer does not necessarily translate to being "closer" on the internet. It all depends on how you're connected to it (number of hops, cables inbetween...). E.g., Europe may be physically closer to Asia than NA, but ping to NA is much better because of a much more direct and much better connection (the main culprit being the massive transatlantic cable).

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (315 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Pro

At the title screen press down on the right thumbstick and it should pull up a server log. Then you should be able to switch your server.

Message 2 of 5 (376 Views)

★ Novice

I know, what I dont understand is why do i have a more consistent ping on a server further from me!

Message 3 of 5 (338 Views)

★ Pro

Being physically closer does not necessarily translate to being "closer" on the internet. It all depends on how you're connected to it (number of hops, cables inbetween...). E.g., Europe may be physically closer to Asia than NA, but ping to NA is much better because of a much more direct and much better connection (the main culprit being the massive transatlantic cable).

Message 4 of 5 (316 Views)

★ Novice

Thank you soooooooo much! Thats all I needed, a knowledgeable and educated answer!  

Message 5 of 5 (278 Views)