Re: Season 5 Pick Rates

by KelRiever

Original Post

Season 5 Pick Rates

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

So data was released this week which shows the Legend pickrate since the onset of Season 5.

The data shows that Wraith and Pathfinder are still the most popular Legends by a good margin.

Despite being transparent on other issues, Respawn has been clear that they want to see less Wraith and Pathfinder teams; this is why these characters continue to receive nerfs. 

To continue to reduce the pick rate for Wraith and Pathfinder, it’s entirely possible that Respawn nerfs them both again (despite the opinion of the community). As much as I am against this, Respawn will do what they want to achieve their goal (a reduction of Wraith and Paths picks). Even if you think Wraith and Pathfinder are in a good place right now regarding balance, Respawn wants other characters to be picked more. 

So I ask— what nerfs do you predict Wraith and Pathfinder get next? Increased cooldown? More damage? Thoughts?

Message 1 of 29 (3,231 Views)

Champion

@Axs5626Sxa5001  I think the nerfs were based on statistics such avg dmg, avg wins avg top 5s...y'know that kinda thing..so it's not so much about pick rates. 

If they're happy with how the statistics play out we probably won't see any more nerfs to be honest.

Out of interest do you have a link to this pick rate list? I would really like to see that. Tongue out

Feels like theres a lot more bloodhounds these days and i'd love to see just how much his pickrates gone up.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 29 (3,217 Views)

★★★★ Pro
Message 3 of 29 (3,202 Views)

★ Expert
@Axs5626Sxa5001 Honestly I don't want to see anymore nerfs to these two characters cause they're not obnoxious to play against anymore. What I wanna see is the other Legends buffed and/or skills reworked. No matter how much they nerf Wraith or Pathfinder people who main them will still play them and it's not really fair to force people out of playing a certain character by constantly nerfing them.
Message 4 of 29 (3,193 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

@Daze623I agree, but it could be argued that both Wraith and Path were already in an ok place before their past nerf— that didn’t stop Respawn from nerfing them more.

And the severity of the Pathfinder nerf (a 133% increase) demonstrates that they (the devs) are totally ok dropping significant changes on the player base to achieve what they want (less Pathfinders). Don’t you find it odd that they literally did a 180 and made the fastest cooldown (15 sec) the longest cooldown (35 sec)?

All that being said, the evidence suggests that instead of buffing the weaker Legends, we are going to see more nerfs to Wraith and Pathfinder.

Message 5 of 29 (3,174 Views)

★★ Pro

I was pretty sure this was the case, because i see plenty of Wraith and Pathfinders. But did they deserve more nerfs - definitely no.

Respawn are touching carefully and they are doing great job with the "nerfs", they actually not nerf or overnerf, despite all the Pathfinder crybabies on here. What they are doing is tuning down an OP legend, and they are doing it in best manner. Not nerfing the skill, but actually just put longer CD, which means no SPAM on it, as it shouldn`t be, and in that fashion you actually need to use your brain on when to use your abilities and invest into aiming/movement skills actually.

As i said million times, there shouldn`t be abilities that should deny you a death you deserve, because you made the wrong decision, or aka pre season 5 Pathfinders, charge 1v3, if not working out, run away with his grapple, because of a joke of CD he had on his grapple .

And one more thing, legends like Path and Wraith are picked, because they have escape mechanism abilities, but they also have great team helping abilities, like portal, zipline, Wraith passive tells you if people are near, and Pathfinder zone scan, which is extremely useful in ranked/tournaments.

No other legends has that, and this is the reason they are picked and played that much, and thats why they are that strong, even with all the nerfs they get, and they deserved.
Pathfinder was clear number 1 last season, now he is top 5 legend, so as i call before, all the crying was exactly that crying.

He is still super strong legend and he is still very useful.

And i actually like Respawn for not just buffing a certain legend, and make this game in abilities spam s**** and then the game will became totally unbalanced.

They should process very carefully with the buffs for other legends. 

For Octane the situation is very easy, but for other legend, its very hard if buffed, to not become OP.

As for team usefulness and escape mechanism i forget to put Loba in there, cause she belongs there now. Another strong legend, and now we have a bit more variety.

Message 6 of 29 (3,160 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Expert

@Axs5626Sxa5001  Pick rates also say that Gibby is really unpopular although he's one of the strongest legends, so we'll see another Gibby buff? lol

I don't think they only look at pick rates, some characters will always be more popular than others, that's how it works in every game. Wraith is a cool legend and her abilities suit well team play, Path in pubs is still the best in terms of fast movement and repositioning. I highly doubt they'll nerf Wraith and Path again, as now they are just in perfect position. One more nerf and they'll be completely useless. They should focus more on fixing bugs and servers.

Message 7 of 29 (3,155 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Made by Pathfinder gang

Message 8 of 29 (3,132 Views)

★★★★ Pro
@Cro_Pittt

The funny thing is, I often ask the Apex community (on reddit, sometimes here, and in other forums) if a specific character is “now in the right place” after they receive an adjustment. I asked when Path had his season 3 grapple hook adjusted— the majority of people said “yeah he needed to be slower and easier to hit, he’s good now”. Then they nerfed him again and I asked if he is in a good place now that he takes increased damage everywhere. The majority of people said “yeah this nerf was needed, he’s good now”. And then they nerfed him again and people said the same thing: “yeah he’s good now”.

But I thought he was good before? Lol.

Honestly it’s the same with Wraith. Post nerf, people agreed she was “now in a good place” but then retracted that after she received her subsequent nerf.

It makes wonder if some people are actually just kinda happy to see someone other than their main become weaker, because that makes their own Legend more viable.

I think it’s clear that I’m a Path main. But I’m definitely not crying and I’m definitely not switching mains. I’m adapting to the changes and I’m fine. However, I AM concerned that Path will get nerfed again, as his popularity remains high and kids are still going to complain when a Path successfully out plays them with a grappling hook. Watch. Lol.
Message 9 of 29 (3,082 Views)

★★★ Expert

First, I think everyone should understand that some abilities are broken just because the way they work, and some are not popular just because the way they work.

And second, obviously, popularity is not necessarily the same thing as OP.

In all games, the edgy, angsty, cool looking characters get picked more.  And if they have an okay, at least, ability they get picked a lot more.  The counter-argument to this is why isn't Revenant more popular then, and I'd argue he's probably more popular than he would be if he looked like a big fat circus top clown.  Okay, that's maybe too obvious.  But another reason is Revenant started this game weak for a long time and needed a massive buff just to bring him to par.  Wraith has always been strong, starting from way OP to where she is now, and she's a favorite for background story and all her aesthetic appeals.

Bloodhound, I'd argue, gets the same kind of love as Wraith aesthetically, but BH abilities are both not so obvious as to their use, and less prone to individual play.  Another thing players love in a team game, especially when team members let you down...but they'd love it anyway....is when they can play a character that has nothing to do with the team.  Pathfinder's design is exactly that way, all of PF's abilities useful to an individual even when running alone.  Octane is weak but loved for the same reason...his abilites really aren't that great but he's picked because people like to run team games solo.  Back to Bloodhound though....pretty good abilities, but definitely a character more useful on a team, so popular I'd argue but less so than Wraith.

Conversely, strong characters, or even characters who need a buff, but who shine when you play with a full team are just hammered on the list.  Wattson and Crypto show that, and frankly, that's why I think Loba places low.  She's new, I think people realize the bracelet isn't nearly as great as instantly traveling into another dimension like Wraith, and if you want Black Market to matter more, you need to work with your team to pick your drop points and loot to get ahead in the early and mid game.  Also not such a great ability in the end game.

Wattson, Crypto and Loba can all do so much better when you play with a team.  Crypto is really nothing without proper team play.

This is why you hear screaming about the nerfs, because they hurt the individual character's solo play more.  Notice nobody is asking for a zip line buff, or a portal buff.  They're mad that Octane has a low profile and not asking for jump pad to be more useful to the team.  Everyone wants to be a rock star, the irony being that if they played characters that did well with a team they might be the rock star.    But it's more like people just want to show off, and do whatever they want, and ignore playing with others which is why they get mad when the things that let them do that get nerfed.

I'll bring up my complaint again, Kings Canyon, the total Yolo map.  Now, you may like it as a map, but I promise that people who love to not play with teams also love this map because it practically asks you to not play with a team.  The reasons people say they hate WE and love KC are nearly perfectly in line with a playstyle that involves no team-play and communication whatsoever, because you'll do fine on KC by ignoring your team and running away from fights.

Back to the topic at hand though, because those people still play WE the same way too.  I love the ideas of Wraith and Pathfinder.  I happen to think the Pathfinder nerf was totally necessary.  At this point, though, I don't think any more nerfs are needed to either character.

What has to happen is that other characters need to be made stronger.

TEE ELL DEE ARR; No surprises here.

Message 10 of 29 (3,065 Views)