SBMM and how to end it

by IlIlIIllIlIlIl

Original Post

SBMM and how to end it

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

***before you mention player retention, our bullets haven’t been registering for an entire week, what does that do for player retention? Cod pubs never had sbmm, everyone loved those games*****

So we all have heard that sbmm (skill based matchmaking) has been in the game since the start but the first version was quite different than the one we have now. 

in the first version, new players were sectioned off and then everyone else was together, and at the end of season 2 a dev has been quoted on Twitter “a flip was switched and now we have what we have now” or something to that extent.

some of you think I’m talking out of my a* about the quality of my games. Maybe you’re on console and everyone kinda seems the same, maybe you’ve never seen how some of these pc kids play and the skill disparity. Maybe you are in one of the Lower levels of sbmm and it isn’t that bad yet. I assure you, every game I am playing vs players of equal or insanely greater skill to the point that it is not fun. And just like what happened to me I can’t imagine inviting friends to play 

what sbmm looks like now, at least on PC which is the platform with what I imagine has the highest player base, is you have your people just starting the game, then you have people who can move a bit better but still pretty new, even though you see level 500’s in this area, just players who basically haven’t sought out any streams or YouTube videos to get better I’d guess. 

Edit: and to top that all off, you are usually matched with very new/ not great/ lower level players and expected to carry them vs master/ pred teams 

then you have average - slightly above average who get tossed in with masters and predators nearly every game if not every game. Every pub match is sweatier than a ranked game

this leads me to ranked which is a worse version of ‘sbmm’ where you can be gold or plat playing vs streamers and pro players, I like to refer to it as you being streamer content. 

when I first started playing I met a guy who was diamond in ranked in pubs, he liked that I was vocal and invited me to play, mind you I have still only been playing for just over 3 months, have 3.2k kills on wraith, over 1 mill damage, hit diamond 3, I’ve been grinding my butt off to try and improve. I’m an ace with the wingman thanks to a lot of csgo and mccree play, and as I have noticed I’ve gotten better, I’ve noticed my fun levels go down immensely and my growing as a player has stopped all together or at least plateau. Anyway, so me and this dude start playing together and I’m dying every single fight. And I’m wondering why when I try to play with my new friend am I getting demolished? I’m not even remotely helpful im literally a burden.

so I ended up stopped playing with him all together and went back to Solo play, I wasn’t learning anything getting demolished by higher sbmm players so I again removed myself from a possible friendship due to the pressure I felt of being a burden.

fast forward to now, I’m diamond, which isn’t anything special to be honest, every game now I am playing against people miles ahead of me, and I feel stuck. The skill gap between this upper level of sbmm is anywhere from a semi decent gold player to pred. It’s insanity

if sbmm was removed I added a picture of what it would look like to everyone for encountering certain ranks of people

my opinion of how to end sbmm, make smurfs, go down to the lower levels of players and show respawn how it feels to get dunked on by preds and masters players in all of your games.

yesterday i made a smurf and I had a 26 kill game with 5100 damage, I finally got my 20 badge and more, something I never see myself achieving when I am playing vs preds every single game. 

Message 1 of 83 (1,217 Views)

Re: SBMM and how to end it

[ Edited ]
Champion

@IlIlIIllIlIlIlI think the fundamental difference between COD and apex is that COD has a considerably larger player base of loyal gamers, thus having less concerns about player retention plus they already have the main game itself which is a huge money spinner. 

Apex is purely a F2P BR with all profits being reliant on its player base purchasing cosmetics/BP, so player retention is absolutely vital for the game to survive from a business standpoint. They gain nothing by lying about SBMM offering higher player retention and as long as it does so SBMM will never be removed.

I ain't saying it's right or wrong...but that's basically how it is lol.

P.s gratz on the 20 bomb!

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 83 (1,190 Views)

★ Guide

@MandatoryIDtag I'd love to see the numbers on this, because ive played games my entire life where i got stomped in the beginning and got good and enjoyed it. this does not feel like the way whatsoever. it punishes decent players to protect like half, maybe more of the player base. they need to decide if its worth to keep some new people now in return for losing their entire pro player base/ streamers/ etc. to a new game that doesnt pull this crap.

Message 3 of 83 (1,179 Views)

★★★★ Pro

I feel this. Lately 9/10 of my games are nothing but full throttle. After dropping I see so many diamond trails and predators here and there. Why are my lobbies like this. Considering the highest I ever placed was plat 4. And this season I'm a gold 4 atm. Playing solo just trying to have some fun is ridiculous. 

At the end of most matches the winners are usually 100+ season 5 wins. 3k+ damage badges and so on. Unreal. I don't expect to be placed with people below my skill but also not way above mine. The highest kills I ever had were 17 and damage a fraction below 2.5k. Why can I not face people of the same kind? Not these super sweaty rank kids that love to pub stomp. 

Message 4 of 83 (1,173 Views)

★ Guide

@ColdHours because.. like mandatory just said that kinda opened my eyes, they are catering to new people so they dont lose customers on skins i guess, glad to know im just throw away trash because i guess they already bled me of my money for an heirloom. feels good

Message 5 of 83 (1,158 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@IlIlIIllIlIlIl I'd like to know how they figure out the percentage of new people that play. Most it seems are now becoming surf accounts and they're not going to buy skins for those accounts. I too have spent some decent money on this title. And it feels frustrating that matches are like this now. If SBMM is to exist there should be at least 3 tiers for it. Low, medium and high. So an average or slightly above does not get placed against teams like that.

Message 6 of 83 (1,154 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

I posted lengthy essay on this topic but the moderators removed it.

SBMM is wrong because it seeks to ensure equal outcomes for players. Unless you are the three very best players in the world, players of all skill levels will now win and lose the same amount— give or take. 

So lesser skilled players will, overall, experience more wins than they typically would have. Because they are winning more, they are more likely to spend money.

And at the end of the day EA does not care about maximizing the experience for everyone— they don’t care that forced SBMM makes the overall gaming experience too grueling and MLG-like for average and high skill players. All they want want is the strategy for making the most money. That means keeping the very low skilled players safe from the rest of the community.

Message 7 of 83 (1,153 Views)

★ Guide

yeah seems thats the case.

Message 8 of 83 (1,114 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@Axs5626Sxa5001 The BS that coming from your comment is incredible. The SBMM is there to maximizing the experience to everyone not just good players.
Really you anti-SMBB players are just pissed you can't get bot lobbies for easy slatra. Plus you just realised you are not as good as you thought...
BTW you know not everyone has 10 hours a day to play videogames and or disabled/old? So they shouldn't enjoy the game? Why?
Message 9 of 83 (1,080 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@IlIlIIllIlIlIl
xD Could you be more pathetic? :D
BTW there are smurfs already without you and cheaters too.. What a few more matter? :D
Message 10 of 83 (1,075 Views)