S11 Might Be The Best Time To Quit (Or At Least Slow Down)

by JonStriker126

Original Post

S11 Might Be The Best Time To Quit (Or At Least Slow Down)

[ Edited ]

Now, before anyone gets "up in arms" about this post, this isn't me having some whiny, rage filled "I quit!" moment. This post is really just about me sharing my thought process and feelings about the current state of Apex.

Over the last few days, ive really been thinking about this season and Apex as a whole, what i get out of playing this game, and what i dont. I think for a lot of us, certain things have just been wearing on us, over time. Whether thats issues with matchmaking, monetization practices, the servers, lack of (new) LTMs/content, balence patches, whatever.

And, when i look at all this, i wonder: "Why do I still play this game?" And, to be honest, im not fully sure anymore. Yes, i do still like things about it. The weapons are cool, Legends and their abilities are interesting, the overall movement is fun, etc. But is that enough to deal with the problems i see every season? I dont know. Another thing that used to always keep me playing was the BP, the Event Rewards and the modes that came with them. But, honestly, i havent liked much in the BP the last couple/few seasons, and as i said above, i feel the Events and modes for them have been lacking.

So, with all this, i think it might be a good time to step back from Apex a bit. Especially, from what i understand, from S11 onward, stuff from BPs are supposed to come back and arent exclusive anymore (and i think thats great). And in reality, theres not much i want from this one anyway (probably just the 100 and 110 Prowler skins). So, ive been wondering if its really worth my time and energy to continue with this game, like i have been. Especially, with my biggest "encouragement" (the grindy BP) not mattering as much anymore. With those items not being exclusive/only obtainable for a certain amount of time, I actually feel like I might be able to take some time off from Apex and explore other things. You know, maybe just pop in and out for Events and such, like I do with Overwatch.

Really, i just feel like it might be the best time to do all this. I have shows and movies i want to watch, i recently got Game Pass, I have a Switch with plenty of games to play, the list goes on. But, with Apex being a live service and the BP capitalizing so much on FOMO, I just never felt like i could fully put this game down. Not to say its all bad. I do get the itch to play sometimes and i wouldnt be on here or talk about the game on Reddit or Twitter or whatever, if i didnt enjoy things about it. But i doubt im the only Apex player who has felt the *need* to play more than the *desire* to do so, at times. Like: "Oh, i got to make sure to get this pass done" or "Oh, I need to grind these Ranked games to hit this Rank before the split" or whatever. And, honestly, im tired of feeling that way. And I think this new BP change might just be the "out" I need right now, you know?

Im not sure why im telling you all this. Probably because i just wanted to get these thoughts and feelings out of my head and what better way than on a place dedicated to talking about Apex, both good and bad. Plus, I really enjoy talking with a lot of the regulars on here and this gives me another chance to do so.

Anyway, I hope you all have a good day/night. And thanks for reading all this. Haha.

Message 1 of 12 (432 Views)

Re: S11 Might Be The Best Time To Quit (Or At Least Slow Down)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@JonStriker126I've made a similar post a month ago how the game got boring and lost all my drive to play the game ( https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/Lost-the-drive-to-play-Apex/m-p/10774295#M182109 ). Took a break and returned during the Halloween event. I suggest doing the same thing. The game has been running for more than 2 years now (almost 3) and it can get old eventually. I haven't touch the game for 3 days now and will only go back when the season starts. What you're feeling is not abnormal and I can totally relate to it. 100% agree that the Switch has a lot of banger games. I play different types of games but I also need at least 1 live service game which is Apex. Lastly, don't even think about the battlepass. It's so easy to finish and if you come back, I'm sure that you'll get to 110 in no time.

Message 2 of 12 (424 Views)

Champion
@JonStriker126 I didn't read all that but did read half. You've made similar unhappy posts dating back many seasons. Either you are simply addicted to something you don't like (not good) or the good outweighs the bad. At this point a break probably makes sense. If it is the first one the best thing to do is find a replacement that makes you happy. Apex did that for me with fifa. I was a miserable person with fifa. Hopefully that isn't you!
Message 3 of 12 (409 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

@hayhor OMG so much this.  FIFA made me pretty miserable too and I gravitated to this when I finally gave up on FIFA earlier this year.

Now that FIFA seems to have fixed the self relegation issue (the part that made me rage the most) I am tempted to take a look around Xmas when I have more time.  

I am pretty happy with where Apex is at.  I rage at it sometimes (usually ranked when I get screwed or toxic team mates or punished because other people are toxic) but outside of that I am mostly good with it.  Sure it can use some adjustments but that will *never* end.  As more and more legends are introduced things will be impossible to balance 100% so adjust your play and take the good with the bad I guess.

Message 4 of 12 (401 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Cheese9Man

Yeah, you make good points. I was just thinking about the BP and a more casual approach might actually help me. For the last couple seasons, i haven't been able to make use of many Treasure Pack or Event BP Stars, because I completed the pass so early. Also, if I wait to do weekly challenges, I probably could do more with less effort. Instead of having to do Damage with LMGs on Week 1, knock downs with them on Week 3 and so on, I could just wait to the last month to play, and kill multiple challenges from multiple weeks at the same time. For the last few seasons, I've been doing stuff as it comes, which really bottle necks progress, as I have to keep waiting to do more challenges and sometimes do the same challenge multiple times, because they come up weeks after the original one. Its a lot of time, effort and frustration to do it That way.

@hayhor

You're not wrong. But before, I thought two things. One, I was hoping the game would get better, overall. And two, I was hoping the arrival of Arenas would give me more excitement and pleasure than it did. So, that's mainly why I stuck around. But, it's been two seasons with Arena and it's just not growing on me. Also, Events and BPs have gotten worse imo not better. That, mixed with this new BP change (items not being exclusive to them/that season anymore) and I think i might be ready to at least slow down now and explore other stuff.

This all being said, I don't think quitting fully is best for me. Even with Overwatch's lack of content, i still get the urge to play it. I'm sure Apex will be the same. Especially, if TDM comes and if the Devs are being honest about more LTMs coming. But, now, I don't want to wait for those things just to be happy with the game. I think that was my mistake before. Thinking some magical update would fix all my problems and wishes for the game. Now, I think I need to just take it all as it comes. If they do something I like, I'll play more. If they dont, ill play less. Basically, I just think I need to be more casual with this game and be less "all my eggs in one basket" about it, you know?

Message 5 of 12 (387 Views)

Champion
@JonStriker126 Being more casual is definately the right way. But I feel that way about video games in general. Gaming should be an escape and be fun. Being angry at the end of a session is not fun.

I don't get much out of the BPs myself. This season the volt skin is the only thing I'll use and it is really good. Arenas I don't even look at. I find it very boring.
Message 6 of 12 (381 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@JonStriker126  I've been where you are, I played a handful of games for like 3 seasons( maybe 50 or so over that 3 season period)and honestly the break did me good. Even though I'm playing apex much more frequently now I'm probably only playing max 2-3 sessions a week. Overall I'm enjoying apex way more now than I have in quite a while.

Bottom line, I strongly encourage anybody feeling burnt out to take a break, you'll either never come back and feel better for it, or vice versa.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 7 of 12 (323 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@JonStriker126won't happen! This season is gonna be the most fun of all! The map they release is absolutely astonishing and brings a fantastic real quick new way to move between areas with the cannons and buildings are differents, the map is real large, etc... Go take a look at beta season 11 gameplay watch a whole game and you will be amazed.

Message 8 of 12 (318 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@Palette24carats btw there's plenty of legends to choose from now I would not mind if they didnt release a new legend every season and brought a new map instead, we have only 4 maps and they don't even rotate them in rank.
Message 9 of 12 (314 Views)

★ Expert
@JonStriker126

I’m presently on said break for all of your aforementioned points, late seasons are horrendous, and the Halloween “LTM” if you want to call it that, was pretty bad tbh.
I still follow all the leaks and what not, but some changes got me bummed out already, especially the rank change.

That being said, even some influencers I watch on a regular basis, have not been uploading as much.

I will most definitely give S11 a go, but I feel like I’m setting myself up for disappointment. I’d like to think things will go smoothly, but I highly doubt it.

Another thing that always grinds my gears, is getting accustomed to a new legend, only to see them getting nerfed to the ground, hopefully this isn’t the case with Ash, cause she looks very fun to play.
Message 10 of 12 (306 Views)