Re: Romance options for (straight) Ladies - your opinion

by VitesseLumiere

Original Post

★★★ Pro

@zanedebruijn wrote:

I vote for repeatable kiss scenes and more emails. I feel like both those things could probably be done without too much effort (effort, obviously, but you know, less). And it would really help with all the romances. Especially really short but popular ones (Reyes) or ones where most of the content seems to be over long before the game ends.

i agree, but will bioware put in the effort?

Message 71 of 81 (710 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

@Nykara360 wrote:

@jpcerutti1 wrote:

@PandaTar wrote:

Not much sympathies for us nice guys, eh? Broken heart

Nice guys are doormats in Andromeda. Vetra (and either Cora or Jaal if romanced) are the only three characters besides your twin who feel like they won't leave you bleeding in a ditch if that became convenient. Maybe Peebee feels like she cares by the end if romanced - will try that if I make a second run after "ME:A2 - The Kett Empire Strikes Back" is released and I have to change all my decisions in the first game because they were horrible ones.

While not straight (or maybe even physically possible), Vetra is a short but well written romance. They did a lot with the little bit they included. That they put a female Garrus in the game is sweet even if you don't romance her.

Since they are reworking and flipping the sex of well written character slots from the original series... here's hoping there is a male version of Jack in ME:A2.

I guess you missed the Peebee / Liam banter than. No way he would leave the Pathfinder either.
That banter firmly established Liam as aalways looking out for and putting himself in harms way to protect the Pathfinder during combat. Not sure if it was just for a budding romance Liam and Pathfinder or always there. Liam is protective tho.

Maybe have to give Liam a second chance if/when I do a second run-through.  Didn't romance him and didn't get to hear a lot of his banter - I quit bringing him along at all when he started being a real * with it. The bit where he gives Vetra a hard time about her sister was the last time Liam got to come out and play. Why Ryder doesn't shut that right down from the front seat made no sense to me. Disappointed He's outnumbered in the car by folks who came with/for family. Next time I have to deal with him he's trying to get me into trouble on Aya. Time after that I have to retrieve the codes he gave away and clean up his mess (at least that was fun). We did play soccer later and his movie night went well... but I did all the work for movie night.

No, first runthrough I didn't much care for Liam.

Message 72 of 81 (708 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@jpcerutti1 wrote:

@Nykara360 wrote:

@jpcerutti1 wrote:

@PandaTar wrote:

Not much sympathies for us nice guys, eh? Broken heart

Nice guys are doormats in Andromeda. Vetra (and either Cora or Jaal if romanced) are the only three characters besides your twin who feel like they won't leave you bleeding in a ditch if that became convenient. Maybe Peebee feels like she cares by the end if romanced - will try that if I make a second run after "ME:A2 - The Kett Empire Strikes Back" is released and I have to change all my decisions in the first game because they were horrible ones.

While not straight (or maybe even physically possible), Vetra is a short but well written romance. They did a lot with the little bit they included. That they put a female Garrus in the game is sweet even if you don't romance her.

Since they are reworking and flipping the sex of well written character slots from the original series... here's hoping there is a male version of Jack in ME:A2.

I guess you missed the Peebee / Liam banter than. No way he would leave the Pathfinder either.
That banter firmly established Liam as aalways looking out for and putting himself in harms way to protect the Pathfinder during combat. Not sure if it was just for a budding romance Liam and Pathfinder or always there. Liam is protective tho.

Maybe have to give Liam a second chance if/when I do a second run-through.  Didn't romance him and didn't get to hear a lot of his banter - I quit bringing him along at all when he started being a real * with it. The bit where he gives Vetra a hard time about her sister was the last time Liam got to come out and play. Why Ryder doesn't shut that right down from the front seat made no sense to me. Disappointed

Sometimes its best to let the kids sort out their own problems! They aren't mummy and daddy Ryder lol.
Liam and Vetra do work through stuff and Liam's concerns of people bringing all kids to Andromeda is valid. Mostly he is just concerned about the safety of the youngins and has his reasons.
He has a few minor character faults (who doesn't) but he really isn't as bad as people make him out to be. Not if you listen to everything and figure him out as a person. As for his more violitile nature when things don't go well - even Lexi explains that from a mental health pov. He is sooo invested in Andromeda going right that he doesn't deal well when it crumbles. Liam is looking for the reason he was willing to leave behind the people he loved, his family to go there. This makes him overly invested in Andromeda working well. In a way, he is still grieving for those he left behind -- which really is understandable imo. He shouldn't even have been the only one. 
As much as they knew what they were getting in for, it doesn't change the fact they are all waking up knowing everything they ever knew went on, lived and died while they slept. That even if they ever got back home it wouldn't be the same, it couldn't be. Add to that most of them, Liam included being pretty young its a lot to take on.
I am glad the game dug into this and did not brush it off tbh.

[Edit] where people see an imperfect whiner. I see a character who is real, dealing with real issues.

Message 73 of 81 (701 Views)

★★★ Pro

I'm a tinkerer and add/edit things as I think of them. Sorry. I put a little more above with it as you typed - but it sums up to Liam did not make a good impression and I gave him as few chances to offend anyone, including me, as I could.Standard smile

Message 74 of 81 (691 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@jpcerutti1 wrote:

I'm a tinkerer and add/edit things as I think of them. Sorry. I put a little more above with it as you typed - but it sums up to Liam did not make a good impression and I gave him as few chances to offend anyone, including me, as I could.Standard smile

Liam had past history of kids being taken into dangerous situations and getting hurt, which explains his concerns there. I can't remember the exact details, i didn't run with vetra a lot in my first pt (have more in my current but im romaning Jaal this time not Liam). I just saw it all on youtube.
He has reasons for things in most cases, valid ones. He just tends to be more.. blunt with his reactions and displeasure lol. I know ppl like that irl and they aren't bad, just overly passionate. Hell I can be sometimes too!
(Edit) Not everyone wants to deal with real in games though and thats okay. I tend to prefer the more real, others prefer an escape from it,
Message 75 of 81 (677 Views)

★★ Guide

To the original OP's question, I'm a guy, but always play a female (for none of the reasons anyone would generally expect).  And, my vote is Jaal (which I'm doing in my NG+ run).  There is just something genuine and humbling about his character that is very appealing when looking at a life long relationship.  I would want someone stable and grounded.  Not perfect, but aware of imperfections and willing to change/accommodate for them.  The other guys really just seem... well... lame...  except maybe Gil, who seems to finally start growing up towards the end.

@zanedebruijn wrote:

I vote for repeatable kiss scenes and more emails. I feel like both those things could probably be done without too much effort (effort, obviously, but you know, less). And it would really help with all the romances. Especially really short but popular ones (Reyes) or ones where most of the content seems to be over long before the game ends.

So much this.  I have every single e-mail archived in my first play through except one:  Peebee's "Again, please".  I really enjoyed the follow-up e-mails from all the crew members actually.  It added that too-shy-to-say-it-to-your-face element.

Message 76 of 81 (666 Views)

★★★ Pro

honestly, i don't really care if a game is realistic or not, being completely immersed in a game as i'm playing it, to the point just about everything else around me melts away... that's what i really look for in a game. though i haven't really found that for a while.

Message 77 of 81 (666 Views)

★★★ Pro

@Nykara360 wrote:

@jpcerutti1 wrote:

Liam had past history of kids being taken into dangerous situations and getting hurt, which explains his concerns there. I can't remember the exact details, i didn't run with vetra a lot in my first pt (have more in my current but im romaning Jaal this time not Liam). I just saw it all on youtube.
He has reasons for things in most cases, valid ones. He just tends to be more.. blunt with his reactions and displeasure lol. I know ppl like that irl and they aren't bad, just overly passionate. Hell I can be sometimes too!
(Edit) Not everyone wants to deal with real in games though and thats okay. I tend to prefer the more real, others prefer an escape from it,

I'm sure he does have valid reasons for doing things, if nothing else Bioware *did* go to the trouble of building backstories for almost every being in the game. He's just a big kid, and a not very polite or thoughtful one. I got a six slot team, two for missions, and after chats like that I can't see anyone getting out of the Nomad and working together. Even when he's trying to be supportive he's telling me things like "I get it, we need to double down" and "we didn't die" and "you got this one" like I am constantly failing and need reassurance I can bounce back. 

Vetra (and anyone else he annoys) does handle it themselves - but if I'm going to tell him enough is enough with his Jaal questioning I don't see why I wouldn't when he's getting all into Vetra's business AND being snotty about it. I don't get to act that way in the game with anyone and it is way out of place on a team I'm theoretically in charge of.

Help me out. Besides arranging the soccer game, what does he do in game (romanced or not) that helps? (And movie night I did MANY fetch quests for to make it work so that doesn't count.)

Message 78 of 81 (653 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@jpcerutti1 wrote:

@Nykara360 wrote:

@jpcerutti1 wrote:

I'm sure he does have valid reasons for doing things, if nothing else Bioware *did* go to the trouble of building backstories for almost every being in the game. He's just a big kid, and a not very polite or thoughtful one. I got a six slot team, two for missions, and after chats like that I can't see anyone getting out of the Nomad and working together. Even when he's trying to be supportive he's telling me things like "I get it, we need to double down" and "we didn't die" and "you got this one" like I am constantly failing and need reassurance I can bounce back. 

Vetra (and anyone else he annoys) does handle it themselves - but if I'm going to tell him enough is enough with his Jaal questioning I don't see why I wouldn't when he's getting all into Vetra's business AND being snotty about it. I don't get to act that way in the game with anyone and it is way out of place on a team I'm theoretically in charge of.

Help me out. Besides arranging the soccer game, what does he do in game (romanced or not) that helps? (And movie night I did MANY fetch quests for to make it work so that doesn't count.)

His loyalty mission - if you listen to it correctly and take it how it was intended, he did nothing wrong there either.
What he did do, was pull angara and colonists together and had them pull together to help each other when it counted. He did infact build relationships between them, forge bridges, when the nexus refused to act.
Although for a brief moment he thought his actions may have endangered people, they did not. The pirates who took those angara had nothing to do with anything Liam did. They would have taken those angara anyway and if someone wasn't watching out for them like Liam was, no one would have even known they were missing to rescue them.
He did that. He made friends in the colony and the angara and was able to bring them together to help each other when it counted. Going against the wishes of the nexus may not have been the best way to go about it but, he has good instincts and they were correct.
As for interactions with the crew, not everyone is going to get along. He does get along well with Jaal, they both set that up between them as Liam explained - if you listened, it wasn’t his doing alone. They both agreed to test the boundries of species interactions so they could learn.His misstrust of flightly Peebee is not miss-placed. The only one that was, is his interactions with Vetra - to which they both overcome to form a bond that even resembled friendship between them. That was private, between them and as the adults they are they still managed to work together in combat and work through their personal issues outside of combat. Not seeing a real issue their either.

Message 79 of 81 (642 Views)

★★★ Pro

@Nykara360 wrote:

His loyalty mission - if you listen to it correctly and take it how it was intended, he did nothing wrong there either.
What he did do, was pull angara and colonists together and had them pull together to help each other when it counted. He did infact build relationships between them, forge bridges, when the nexus refused to act.
Although for a brief moment he thought his actions may have endangered people, they did not. The pirates who took those angara had nothing to do with anything Liam did. They would have taken those angara anyway and if someone wasn't watching out for them like Liam was, no one would have even known they were missing to rescue them.
He did that. He made friends in the colony and the angara and was able to bring them together to help each other when it counted. Going against the wishes of the nexus may not have been the best way to go about it but, he has good instincts and they were correct.
As for interactions with the crew, not everyone is going to get along. He does get along well with Jaal, they both set that up between them as Liam explained - if you listened, it wasn’t his doing alone. They both agreed to test the boundries of species interactions so they could learn.His misstrust of flightly Peebee is not miss-placed. The only one that was, is his interactions with Vetra - to which they both overcome to form a bond that even resembled friendship between them. That was private, between them and as the adults they are they still managed to work together in combat and work through their personal issues outside of combat. Not seeing a real issue their either.

Okay, I can work with that. His loyalty mission was the most fun I had with one in the game.

I knew, and understood, the Jaal thing. If he makes peace with Vetra in banter I just never heard it because I didn't give him the chance. Maybe he gets another chance in the DLC's but if he's still a * then he's getting put out of the Nomad and has to find his own way back to the Nexus/Hyperion. Standard smile

Message 80 of 81 (626 Views)