Rig Showdown

by DoYaSeeMe

Original Post

Re: Rig Showdown

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

I can assure you, I can notice a drop from 240 to 220 VERY clearly (and that's only based on FPS dropping from 240 to 220, the frames themselves are still drawn at 1/240th of a second each; true 220 Hz would be even more noticeable). If I could get what I want I would gladly go for 10k refresh rate (in 20 years maybe?). That would look SMOOOTH.

But of course there's diminishing returns.
Afaik there currently are no IPS QHD 240 Hz panels and for BR's visual clarity tops smoothness. IPS gives better blacks and overall better colors and QHD resolution allows for easier spotting at long range. So IPS 144 > TN 240, QHD 144 > HD 240. Hence, the best compromise for BR's seems to be a QHD IPS 144+.

For a game like overwatch, I would never ever give up 240 hz.

Message 11 of 23 (458 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

Well I actually looked up studies made on screen hz and there was none that could prove that any human (pro players mind you) could actually pass the test that they saw any notice above 165hz. I think this is placebo mate. Best choice is 165hz, and that's if you have a very low response time that you actually gain anything from it.

Test was going from 60hz -> 144hz -> 165h-> 240hz. And trying to see if there was any change for them at all, and for them to guess what refresh rate it was. They could see a change from 144hz -> 165hz, but that's where it stopped.

Message 12 of 23 (453 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

Nah it's not. You just need to pay attention to the right things. I'm VERY sensitive to the artifacts created by screen redrawing, so any increase is a huge relief for me. But it's far far far from perfect yet. G-sync may remove the tearing part, but it comes with it's own problems. And the most noticeable part is still the obvious one - the smoothness of movement. The eye may have it's own refresh rate, but it's not synced to that of the monitor.

I can't notice much difference between 60 Hz and 240 Hz in a Moba - the movement is slow there, but can sure as hell tell even the slightest difference when I'm looking at a flying projectile or when I'm turning 90 degrees over 0.05 seconds (60 Hz - 3 frames, 165 Hz - 8 frames, 240 hz - 12 frames). I can assure you, 12 frames look A LOT smoother than 8 frames. Of course, when you compare that to 3 frames - well that's literally a slideshow...

Message 13 of 23 (447 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

Think you might be confusing frame rate with hz, and ofc you would see a notice from 60 to 240, you wont from 165 to 240.

When I did the test, I could not see a change from 144->165, mind you the people that could actually do that averaged in on 70ms reaction time (best pro players in the world).

Message 14 of 23 (443 Views)

★★★ Expert

Anyway, top refresh rate I can get for a 34 is 144Hz, if buying LG 34GK950F . Problem is that, in my country, it costs the equivalent of 80 Apex legendary skins Standard smile . I agree that 34 is too big for playing fast paced shooters online, but it's hard to downgrade in size after getting used to so much screen estate.

Message 15 of 23 (403 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

Priorities have made it so I play on a i3 8100, MSI Z370-A Pro, 8GB 2666mhz, MSI GTX1050ti 4GB Gaming-X, 128GB SSD, shoved in a Carbide 300M tower.

Samsung LS24 60Hz screen, Razer Lachesis mouse, CM Storm keyboard

Should have upgraded, but life said no...

---

Forgot I have a drive in there... It's minimal size because cost, but with 500Mbit/sec fiber, I don't need a lot of space... 😂 

Message 16 of 23 (386 Views)

Fancy pants legends here with those rigs! 

Currently running a 7 year old HP Envy with the only thing upgraded being the SSD.

I7-3770 CPU 3.40 GHz

AMD Readon HD 7700

16 GB RAM

250 GB SSD

2T HDD

Connected to:

Logitech G810 RGB keyboard

Logitech M705 mouse

Rode podcaster mic

2 screens

No wonder Apex is barely capable of running on the lowest settings, but hey it works! Why use graphics when no graphics do trick!

Jokes aside, I probably need an upgrade, maybe next year, or next, or next...

Message 17 of 23 (359 Views)

Champion (Retired)

I bought my PC from OCUK for BF3 about 8 years ago. The original one was specifically for BF3 but it kept blue screening so I sent it back. I had some trouble with OCUK who though it was my electricity supply and I even bought a new power lead. I t made no difference and after returning it twice they sent me this one. Originally it had a GTX 680. It's due an upgrade and if I see a game of BF 3 quality I'll do it. Otherwise I think I'll get one of the next consoles. I had a little bit of slow down earlier when it was the last 2 teams with Bangalore on both teams dropping barrages and smoke at the same time and fighting. Generally the performance is acceptable in Apex and Siege with FPS around 100 on Ultra in Siege and almost always over 60 and going over 100 in Apex most of the time. Bearing in mind I'm in 2K.

GPU: ASUS GTX 1070

CPU: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.3mhz

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
Memory: 16GB
Cooler: Fans
Storage: 500 GB hard drive & 225 GB SSD
PSU: Yes
Case: Maplins (it's really good)

Peripherals:

Headset: Creative Labs H7 Tournament Edition plugged into a Creative sound card
Keyboard: Logitech K330 but haven't used a keyboard for gaming since about 2008. I use a Razer Orbweaver Chroma these days which was £130 but it's basically a Belkin Nostromo that used to be £25 from PC World only 10 years ago.

Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 500

Monitor: ASUS PG279Q 27 inch 2k g-sync

Message 18 of 23 (344 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

i5 8600k over clocked at 5GHz

1080 ti

dell 24 inch monitor, 1440p @ 165hz

Corsair K70 Rapidefire Low Profile keyboard

BenQ Zowie EC2 B Divina Mouse

Message 19 of 23 (303 Views)

★★★★ Guide

MONITOR: Acer Predator X34
CASE: Lianli PC-O11DX
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Master
CPU: i7-9700K @ 5.1Ghz

RAM:Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 Mhz 2x8GB 

VGA: Aorus 1080Ti Extreme Oced

SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVME

Adata 500GBs Sata

CPU Cooler: Nzxt Kraken X62
PSU: EVGA 750W
MOUSE: Logi G Pro wireless | G900 | Razer Viper

KEYBOARD: Vortex Race 3

HEADSET: HyperX Cloud flight
MAT: Coolermaster MP510 | Aorus AMP500 | Zowie GS-R | Novelty pad | SS Dex and another 5 more.

Message 20 of 23 (292 Views)