Rig Showdown

by DoYaSeeMe

Original Post

Rig Showdown

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

Fellow keyboard warriors, I'm curious what your non virtual weapons are. My rig is as follows:

PC: Intel I7 6700k on Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, Samsung 860 Evo SSD, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3200Mhz, Asus Dual GTX 1070 8GB videocard.

Case: Zalman Z9 Neo Black

Cooler: Cooler MAster Hyper 212 Led

Monitor: Dell U3417W, 34", curved, IPS, 60Hz

Keyboard: Logitech Wireless K800

Mouse: Asus ROG Gladius

Headphones: Audio Technica ATH M40X

Mic: none / not using at the moment.

Notes: I am able to run the game at 3440x1440 and get 40-50 frames at high settings, but it doesn't feel as smooth as running it at 2560x1080 with mid settings, where I reach the 60 fps that my monitor supports. The keyboard is super silent but the low profile keys are often a problem, I often hit the wrong key (using ability instead of switching weapon or moving forward, etc..). Monitor is great as it allows for a wider angle, but the image looks a bit too distorted on the sides, when the fov is over 90, so I keep it at 86. Combat UI gets a bit out of focus on this ultra wide screen, as I'm probably sitting closer to it than I should ( I sometimes don't see that my armor, bullets or teammates are gone Standard smile )

Also sharing these, it seems to become a trend these days Standard smile 

Rag Tagg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_IJiTnHjfI

Kandyrew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAXeh5BiWRM

Message 1 of 23 (709 Views)

Re: Rig Showdown

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

PC: I7 4771 (yeah no K, mistakes were made), maximus hero IV (probably worst mobo ever made, tainted asus name for me forever), 32 gb 1600 DDR3, some chinese brand geforce 1080Ti (working like a bee), one of the first Samsung Pro ssd's

Monitor: Asus PG258Q 240 Hz (works, but has some glitches - again low asus quality...)

Mouse: Zowie FK2

Keyboard: 15 year old generic Canyon (the 10-20 eur type; still alive, even though some keys tend to fall out (but I put em back in))

Headphones/mic: HyperX Could II

The old cpu and maybe even rams are putting a very hard limit on my 1080Ti, but I can still get 150+ FPS in Apex (up to 300 in closed areas), which is acceptable. Naturally, I get big dips when I see large open spaces (down to 100 - annoying and very noticeable, but still playable, somewhat).

I simply never found a replacement for my keyboard - the old membrane (with low profile keys) keyboards are just the best. The shiny mechanical keyboard (yeah I fell for the false idea that I could "improve" my old keyboard) got discarded to gather dust after 2 days of clacking (also after my fingers started hurting from the high profile keys - those are clearly not meant for gaming, no matter what the marketing tries to claim). If this one ever break completely (I'm starting to doubt it), I'll probably have to buy 20 cheap keyboards and see if any of them is any good - the only way to find a decent keyboard imo.

Zowie Fk2 is an imperfect replacement to Microsoft intellimouse optical (RIP, 2001-2016) - best mouse ever made.

I would have a hard time giving up the 240 Hz on a monitor (even down to a 144), but I really miss the vibrant colors of an IPS panel. Keep on waiting for a 240Hz IPS QHD, I guess...

The gaming headset has terrible sound quality (compared even to my sennheiser HD439), but so far I haven't found a mic solution that works with my broken mobo.

Message 2 of 23 (696 Views)

[ Edited ]

Heya!

Oehh a rig show off Thinking

I'm rocking following the following: 

GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 Gaming Z OC

CPU: Intel I5-9600k
Motherboard:MSI MAG Z390 TOMAHAWK
Memory: 16BG Trident Z RGB Dual Channel 2x8GB
AIO cooler: Kraken X62 280mm with RGB
Storrage: Samsugn SSD 970 EVO 500GB - Seagate ST2000DM008-2FR102
PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 650W
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X

Peripherals:

Headset: SteelSeries Arctis Pro + GameDAC
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX speed switches)

Mice: FNATIC CLUTCH Gaming Mice

Monitors:

Acer XF270H 144HZ

Liyama PL2288H 60HZ

Screenshot_20190908_213415.jpg

Everything is RGB but i like the colour blue, so everything blue it is! :eahigh_file: 

Hitting almost 144 on every game 144 on med+ settings.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png
Message 3 of 23 (667 Views)

★★★★ Guide

OK, here we go!! I play at 1080p, usually using ULTRA settings with no performance issues:

MONITOR: AOC G2778VQ 27" LED
CASE: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-Alpha Black/Red
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte Z270-Gaming K3
CPU: Intel Core i5-7500
FAN: Cooler Master Hyper 103
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2666Mhz 2x8GB CL16
POWER: Cooler Master G650M 650W 80 Plus Bronze
GFX: Asus GeForce GTX 1070Ti Turbo 8GB GDDR5

HDD1: Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500GB SATA
HDD2: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVME
HDD3: Seagate 4TB SATA
MOUSE: LOGITECH G402

KEYBOARD: Owlotech K9 RGB Backlit Gaming

HEADSET: LENOVO Y GAMING SURROUND SOUND HEADSET
MAT: CORSAIR MM300 EXTENDED XL

Message 4 of 23 (648 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

MONITOR: Acer 32" Predator Z321QU Curved 165Hz G-Sync
CASE:MSI Trident X Plus 9SF
CPU: Core i9, (9900K) @ 5ghz
RAM: DDR4, (2666 MHz) 16GB
POWER: 650W 80 PLUS Gold

MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z390i Gaming Edge AC Mini-ITX
GFX: GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB, (DDR6)

HDD: 1 TB (PCIe SSD)
MOUSE: Logitech G703

KEYBOARD: Razer Orbweaver

HEADSET: Astro A50 7.1
MAT: ASUS ROG Sheath Mousepad

The biggest uppgrade for me past year was swapping to the wireless G703. Can recommend that mouse (swapped out my Zowie EC).

As I was younger and coudnt afford a decent gaming rig, I thought I would pamper myself in older days (my last years of gaming Standard smile

Message 5 of 23 (633 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Nothing fancy on my end, I went with a very budget friendly gaming rig when I switched over from PS4.

PC: Dell Inspiron 5680

Intel i5-8400, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB.

Monitor: Asus VZ239h 23" IPS, 60Hz

Keyboard: DREVO Tyrfing V2 mechanical keyboard

Mouse: Razor Basilisk with Razor Sphex V2 mousepad

Headset: Logitech G430

Hoping to be able to upgrade my graphics card and monitor soon.

She ain't much, but she gets the job done. 

Message 6 of 23 (625 Views)

★★★ Expert

Wow, a lock of rockets around. Seems like I'm the only one so far that uses the "freeloader's" refresh rate of only 60Hz. Hmmm, maybe I can blame it for my bad aim... :D

Forgot to add a note about the mouse: it sucks! There's glue coming out from under the side grips after just a few months of use. I can repair it, but its profile feels a bit low as well. This leads me to a question: is anyone using / recommending a vertical mouse? 

Message 7 of 23 (617 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I have one that used at work, long time ago. Never tried for gaming tho... are they good enough for that?

I guess you'll need quite some time until get used to it / match your "normal" mouse performance.

Message 8 of 23 (608 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

Well I don't think there are any affordable ultrawide options with better refresh rates. Ultrawide is definitely not something I would choose for shooters though Standard smile.

144Hz QHD IPS is the most optimal screen for BR's atm (if the card can drive QHD at the needed 144+ fps).

When I switched from 60 to 240 Hz my aim didn't improve, but my eyes keep thanking me. The blur, the screen tearing, the visibly low frame count - those are all extremely annoying to look at and happen 100% of the time when simply turning with low refresh screens (something you kind of need to do in an FPS). 240 Hz makes them all go away almost completely.

Mouse is a very personal thing. The most important thing, by a mile, is hand-to-mouse form fit. So the best way to buy one is actually try them. Otherwise you're down to trying to find something that fixes the shortcomings (e.g., buy higher if it feels too low - but then you may just find that the slant or curve is just not right...). E.g., the G703 could be a miracle mouse, but I could still never use it, because it's so tiny that I would have to use fingertip grip to make it work (and I'm not the fan of that, and it's also best for wrist-aiming, which wouldn't make sense for fps).

Message 9 of 23 (605 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

I would not recommend going 240hz as humans can't notice any difference above 165hz (all the tests made on pro players, showed that people with 70-90ms reaction did not see any difference above 165hz) - although I can understand that the companies want to sell them.

Message 10 of 23 (601 Views)