Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Reviews Look Pretty Stale. Yikes!

by GuruChaz

Original Post

Re: Reviews Look Pretty Stale. Yikes!

Champion

@frauzet wrote:

I read people's complaints about being pulled towards their party.

Why don't they play in private mode? No pulling then, but of course, then you have to do stuff on your own, which might take you longer.

There is no pulling in freeplay at all.

Some people say they have set their missions to private but still ended up with randoms in them. Which could be because they forgot to set them back to private after freeplay.

Pulling seems like a pretty serious issue in the strongholds though, especially on the lower difficulties. Some people reported very long loading times, on the order of a few minutes, even with new, top of the line PCs. They may not have updated their drivers or what not, but the point is they’re taking longer to load in than it takes for the rest of the group to get to the next checkpoint. Which means that if the group is really rushing through the stronghold, you might literally only see loading screens. It’s a pretty frustrating mechanic.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 11 of 35 (315 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@frauzet wrote:

If I had listened to the critics I probably wouldn't have watched that many superhero movies.

Were the critics right? In most points. Were the movies still fun to watch? To me they were.

When I read that there weren't many story missions, I wonder what I have been doing the whole time.

There are story missions, there are contracts with a story to them. 

Of course, you only realize this when you don't skip every conversation.

That one big mission, that made you do the challlenges?

I was done with most of it after I did other missions, because they counted, too. Even the stronghold did.

I liked it, because I had to travel through much of the world, and I saw what weaknesses my playstyle has. 

Those were the three points still open I had to work on in freeplay.

I read people's complaints about being pulled towards their party.

Why don't they play in private mode? No pulling then, but of course, then you have to do stuff on your own, which might take you longer.

There is no pulling in freeplay at all.

I read posts from people complaining about the sprint speed in Fort Tarsis.

And I have seen that kind of posts in every other game I played.

Give me everything now, right away, without much effort, without running around and talking to people. And afterward, watch me complain about how boring everything is and how little content there is.

To me, this is a lot about personal playstyle. And obviously many people don't want to change theirs.

^ Fanboy BS

Movies don't cost 60 bucks a pop. You also watch them once, maybe twice, rarely for 4 or more hours per day every day, unlike gaming.

For the amount of money and time invested in gaming, I would give Anthem a pass, for now at least.

Personal playstyle? Bah, nonsense! There is SO much stuff that is broken, lazy design or just anti-fun. Playstyle has nothing to do with it.

Numerous, long load screens

Being force-teleported to the player rushing through the mission

Being unable to enter free-play solo

Tiny duration of fight

Bland story / flat characters / drivel dialogue

Being forced back to Fort Loading, I mean Fort Tarsis after every mission

Being forced to slow crawl across the Fort to have a meaningless dialogue with a pointless character in order to get or turn in a quest

(one good thing about the slow walking speed in the Fort is it takes it so long to load the fort in that if you walked any faster you would fall off the world because the floor has not loaded in yet)
Clunky combat

Enemies that have not loaded in but are still able to deal damage to you.

Samey quests. Basically a rehash of the same 3 or 4 quests

Stupid enemy immunities. ZERO damage unless you hit them just in their tiny special spot

Lack of group chat or any way to communicate with team mates (who all have VOIP turned off)

I could go on, but there is no point. Game is just not good.

Message 12 of 35 (313 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@GuruChaz wrote:

Is this the way it really is this release weekend?

https://www.pcgamer.com/anthem-review/

Read the comments under the article. Most of them are positive. I'm not taking sides until next weekend, just saying.

Message 13 of 35 (311 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@frauzet wrote:

If I had listened to the critics I probably wouldn't have watched that many superhero movies.

Were the critics right? In most points. Were the movies still fun to watch? To me they were.

Most of the critics regarding Marvel superhero movies especially or the Batman trilogy (the latest one) are right and it all boils down to one thing - those movies are fine to watch sitting in the cinema and eating your popcorn. And thats it. Bought one ticket, watched once, didnt regret it. 99% chances you wont want to rewatch it, especially right away and wasnt mind blown by it. But the film(s) was worth the tickets money. Worth 2 hours of your time. While some films are absolutely not even worth the time like new Jurasic park or newest Harry Potter. There's so mcuh stupidity in those films it gives you headache by the end of it.

And then there are films like first Guardians of the Galaxy.

So yeah. Its not superhero movies or critics. Its individual films being atrocious.

And thats where problem with Anthem lies. Where things like Apex Legends is free but most would still pay 20-60$ for it to play, Anthem is 60$ with mtx and most would play it if it was like 20$ at most or free with mtx.

Can you enjoy it? Well. Its not like you cant enjoy objecively bad things (especially when one admits it bad, hell I enjoyed reading the Maze runner and its really really REALLY bad book series so I can tell you about liking bad things), and aspects of it. Is it worth 60$ or 15+hours of your life given that its 11+ hours of freeroam of challenges and random lazy missions? Absolutely not.

However there are people ready to throw 60$ in the oven despite the product being really freaking bad which is their right, but if the trend will continue not only Anthem will die soon because such people are finite, the industry of AAA games will die and only studios like Kojima production or CPRed will remain.

Message 14 of 35 (22 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@Darconos wrote:

@GuruChaz wrote:

Is this the way it really is this release weekend?

https://www.pcgamer.com/anthem-review/

Read the comments under the article. Most of them are positive. I'm not taking sides until next weekend, just saying.

Just like most comments here because Bioware deletes 90% of "non positive ones".

Message 15 of 35 (291 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Movies don't cost 60 bucks?

Have you tried going to the cinema with your family, on a weekend, sitting in the better seats, and having popcorn and soda?

I don't know about the prices where you live, but I wouldn't bet on 60€ being enough.

But that's all semantics.

"From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire."

[Robert Frost - Fire and Ice]

I don't work for EA. The opinions I express are my own.
Message 16 of 35 (287 Views)

★★★★ Novice

The first end game mission you get is to do 100 public events 25 strong holds 25 contracts and 25 quickplay missions or strongholds. Thats just step 1 of 4 this game is nothing but grinding busy work bs itll be dead in 6 months

Message 17 of 35 (284 Views)

★ Apprentice
^^^ this. this game is all about immersion. and in my opinion, BioWare has done a fantastic job of it. Save for a few longer load screens that kinda of detach you for the moment (im not hear to complain about that because damn near every person on the forums is), the pacing of the game is built to draw you into the story. Are there a ton of story mission number wise? not really. But there are plenty to fulfill the story and make every mission mean something towards progressing the story. And to those people who are blowing through the entire story in a few hours, those are easy mode nerds who just want to level cap asap. Up the difficulty. Ive played through everything on Hard thus far and, while its not slow, it is slower to complete missions and the have their moments of challenge, so in 2 days of play i still have another 30? ish percent to go on the story. And if you take the time to appreciate the decent voice acting, the damn well done facial animations, and really get into the story, its great. No spoilers here, but there are even some plot twists in the game that i dont think anyone sees coming.

most of the people complaining about the lack of story, not enough content, etc, are the speed run players who blast thru everything, skipping all cut scenes, dialogue and anything else they can to streamline to end game. i just dont think you, or anyone on these forums, that have been asking about it, prior to getting it, should be asking at all. make ur own judgements. and instead of 60$, you get origin premier, for 15/mo. that way if you end up not liking it, you cancel the sub, and you lose out on 15$, not 60. thats what i did, and i fully plan on buying my own copy now that i know i enjoy the game.
Message 18 of 35 (246 Views)

★ Apprentice
woops in the time it took to write that, the above comment was moved up a bit. oh well. point remains the same
Message 19 of 35 (245 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@xSupportalKombat wrote:
woops in the time it took to write that, the above comment was moved up a bit. oh well. point remains the same

I agree. I just beat the main story. Took 22 hours without speeding through any of the text/cinematic. Now I have other things unlocked to do. It amazes me people complain about shoot and loot games when games like Halo were extremely popular for a very long time and the majority of players loved them. People spent $60+ a few years ago with no future content and a 5 hour campaign and were happy but now nothing any company does is good enough. 

Message 20 of 35 (232 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help