Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: [Request] Information Release / Clarity

by cake404

Original Post

Highlighted

[Request] Information Release / Clarity

[ Edited ]
Champion

As anyone that's seen my posts here, reddit or well.. anywhere I talk about the game really.. Two things would likely come to mind:

1. I like sharing my knowledge of the game.
  2. I like making guides and other various tools and resources.

That being said, as a veteran player that loves making said guides and tools.. I'd like make a request to Bioware.

Make more of the Mechanics-related Information of the game known/accessible.

What I mean by this is fairly straight forward, and hopefully wouldn't cause any problems. For both the Current Version of the game (1.7.0), and the work in progress overhaul, be a bit more open with stats and other values.

While for the better part of damage related stuff, people in the community have managed to figure out a lot time ago, there's still a handful of inscriptions and other mechanics that have been unexplained for awhile now. I'd personally like to see a huge post, detailing a lot of the hidden stats and details. Too keep things as simple as possible, here's a list of things I'd like to know and have on hand, purely for information purposes.

• Force
    • What does the stat actually do?
    • What are the hidden values for it found on our weapons and gear? (Everything definitely isn't equal here, or shouldn't be.)
    • Do the enemies have resistance modifiers for it too?
  • Weapon Fire Rate
    • Is it just gone as a stat? Is it a bug? I haven't personally seen in on a legendary for awhile.
  • Combo / Ultimate
    • What does the math behind the Gear Score scaling actually look like?
    • Why do Storm and Interceptor both have weaker combo effects, and no access to proper scaling?
    • How many "Ultimate Charges" does each Javelin require to use their ultimate? does it vary? how many per combo?
    • Why does Colossus Ultimate Detonate as Combo Impact?
    • How does Token of the Pupil (storm component) affect Combo Chain scaling?
  • Procs and DoTs
    • Can we get base values for these? These numbers aren't given up front.
    • Steam Vent is especially confusing as it's damage in-game isn't represented properly.
    • Why do most "explosion" perks cover barely any area? They rarely even hit super close enemies.
  • Components / Perks
    • Can we get less vague language for some components and effects?
      • How much is "a large amount", "Increased"
    • Clarity on some of the more vague terms like Blast, Impact, "X Ultimate Charge".
      • What is categorized as what?
  • Cataclysm Weapons
    • Why do these just have basic weapon traits as perks?
  • Weakpoint Damage
    • Why is this made to scale so weirdly that it's ever only worthwhile for bosses, and only for a handful of weapons?
  • Resupply Drop Rate
    • Is this effectively just Repair and Ammo Drop Rate combined? Does it scale both, or is it weighted towards one?

Think that's enough to start for now. Can add more as I think of things, or if other want to add to this list.

I'd just like to see at lot of these interesting points and stats clarified. It'd also be an interesting way to both help the community enjoy the current version more and talk a bit about some of the dev sides of these occurrences.

Just a person out to help in communities I am part of, where possible.
An aspiring Game Designer that loves digging into the mechanics of a game, regardless of genre. Prefer RPGs, FPS and similar styles of game.

I do not work for EA, all opinions and statements are my own.
Message 1 of 8 (625 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Champion

Force is the physical force multiplier. Stacking +force inscriptions makes it easier to stagger and knock down enemies with stuff like melee, shotguns, sniper rifles, etc.

Impact damage is basically single target damage. Whenever you see “Damage” listed on a weapon or ability, it’s impact damage. “Blast Damage” is area damage, and is always listed explicitly as such. Some weapons do both (a couple of grenade launchers do that, I think). I don’t know why they don’t explicitly label it as “impact damage” to avoid confusion, e.g. with +damage inscriptions (which boost “all” damage – except for combo and ultimate damage, which scale with your power level). I would also assume that impact and blast combos are not affected by the perks that pertain to impact and blast damage, but I haven’t tested it.

I am pretty sure all of this has been explained somewhere, but it likely was in some reddit post or some livestream at some point. It would definitely be useful to have that information on the Anthem website.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 2 of 8 (609 Views)
Highlighted

Champion

Yeah, I'm aware of what some of the stats do, just not the hidden mechanics behind them. Better they just talk about it all at once tbh.

Though I very much appreciate you explaining things. I'd really just like to see bioware provide a list of what has what stats attributed to it, because they hide a lot of it.

An aspiring Game Designer that loves digging into the mechanics of a game, regardless of genre. Prefer RPGs, FPS and similar styles of game.

Message 3 of 8 (601 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Yeah, it would be nice to get some official confirmation on those points that have been not quite so clear.

I know you have good knowledge about most of the points you listed here, such as the base values of the procs and ticks, or the formula for combo damage scaling. Some of these points also look like a request to explain design decisions. Which could be quite interesting to get some feedback.

Considering that some patch notes and development updates have already contained technical details of game rules in the past, such as adjusted base values, it could actually happen that you get some response here.

The one design decision I wondered most in game rules is the power level gap. Other things that seem interesting are details related to the inscription slots and pools. Not sure if those exceptions are a feature, and not a bug, though =)

Missing fire rate info? I thought almost all weapons show RPM values. Concerning stats such as base force, crit multipliers and blast classification, I think I still have old notes somewhere from the time when such weapon and gear stats were still on the anthem archive.

Message 4 of 8 (573 Views)
Highlighted

Champion

@DrBonifarz wrote:

Missing fire rate info? I thought almost all weapons show RPM values. Concerning stats such as base force, crit multipliers and blast classification, I think I still have old notes somewhere from the time when such weapon and gear stats were still on the anthem archive.

Specifically meant the absent inscription. Standard smile RPM is a stat too though. Important for DPS, but not damage calculation Wink

Message 5 of 8 (555 Views)
Highlighted

Community Manager
Hi @RubyJavelin,

This feedback has been sent up. Standard smile
-EA Cade

Stay and Play.png
Message 6 of 8 (506 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Guide

@RubyJavelin wrote:

Specifically meant the absent inscription. Standard smile RPM is a stat too though. Important for DPS, but not damage calculation Wink

I see. Only got two in the past few months. Major and epic primary on an elemental rage and a sentinel‘s vengeance. Another local weapon inscription I tested was recoil - it seems to affect only the upwards kickback but not the spread. Same for aim, which probably increases the angular range for the aim assist to kick in, but I could never really see a difference. 

Message 7 of 8 (495 Views)
Highlighted

Champion

Finally getting around to adding more to this. I'm still curious how a lot of the damage numbers are calculated and such, mostly because I want to make my damage calculator more accurate, but also because none of this has been clarified previously.

Message 8 of 8 (231 Views)
Twitter Stream