Re: Remove Firestorm

by meeha2

Original Post

★★ Guide
@TTZ_Dipsy This is the most accurate statement of the day " There are so many options for PC builds that a single setting on any component could cause a problem."
Throw into the mix different internet connection types, builds of Windows and driver versions and it's gotta be a nightmare to make it right for everyone.
I got "lucky" with the components for my build when I chose them. Aside from a two week stretch where I would crash once a night I have been trouble free from that perspective.
Message 11 of 19 (695 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

My build perfectly matches (well, except for RAM) the recommended tech specs:

i7 8700K

32GB of RAM (Chrome eats a lot)

RTX 2080

So if they can't make the game fit for recommended specs that they coded the game for, then I don't know. So we can exclude the "tech specs don't match" part here. Pretty much, the only thing we cannot exclude is the game code. All else works. Something prevents me from playing, something pushes me away from playing. Although, there is one more thing that may crash the game - high ping. But I don't think the game would join to some servers in Africa, where I would have ping of 1000+ ms. So... I have no idea what's going on, and this is the only place where I can share my thoughts. Remove Firestrom? Well, maybe. Fix it? Either would work. Something crashes the game, and it's not my responsibility to find what's causing it to crash. (OK, assuming I was a hacker, or at least, a computer programmer, I may have looked through the code, but... How many lines, how many files... This would take tons of time just to find this one bug...)

Message 12 of 19 (682 Views)

★★ Pro
@meeha2 I really do understand your frustration, espacially because you obviously did put a lot of money in your system to find it not being able to run BFV without any problems. Yet again as @TTZ_Dipsy already said: the fact that you have the recommended specs for the game doesn´t mean it will run perfectly. The exact combination of hardware with the software you are using can cause problems. I had problems running all the BF titles from BFBC2 until BF1 even though I had the recommended specs at all time. I had to manually downclock my graficscards by like 20-50Mhz to make the game run without crashing.
Either way removing firestorm wouldn´t help your problems, and I have to disagree with you, it is in your responsibility to find what is causing it, because there will not be someone coming over to your house to find the problem for you (I would love if that was the case but is isn´t Standard smile ).
So you have two options here. First is to just not play Firestorm anymore, so you don´t get the crashes. The other option is to find the problem causing the crashes with the help of this or another forum. For this reason you should have better posted in https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/bd-p/battlefield-v-technical-issues-en
I don´t know what you have already tried to fix it, but in that section of the forum there are so many posts from people with similar problems, you might be lucky and find a fix for yours.

Considering the low player count, this i a harder problem to solve and it´s really sad to see this gamemode slowly die out. I already suggested to make Firestorm a free to play title, but I don´t really think, that will ever happen. So we can only hope for sales of the game bringing in waves of new players.
Message 13 of 19 (671 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@N4v1sOK, so, what do I write exactly? "I can't play Firestorm, it crashes whatever I do". Good enough? "How often does it happen?" I have no idea. "Every time? A lot of times?" "What happens before the game crashes?" What do I write here? You see, I mean, I'm not saying I can't describe the issue (though in fact, I can't, because there is no good description, in my opinion), but what I'm saying is that the game works, but only one game mode does not work. And how do I find the problem? Check/uncheck all checkmarks, move all sliders, change all settings? Downclock GPU? Downclock CPU, RAM speed? Or maybe just get rtx 2080 Ti, 9900K, 128 GB of RAM??? Just tell me, but before this, think how much time it will take to find the solution, because this game was made to run well - ALL modes - on this computer. Software? I don't use cheating programs, that's all that should matter. I have antivirus, but... All other modes work!!! What exactly am I doing wrong?

Please understand, I feel frustrated, and all I want is so that DICE did not include this buggy mode in the chapters anymore. That's pretty much it. I don't care about Firestorm, just as long as it is not super necessary to play to get the chapter scores. That describes exactly what I want and why I want it. They don't have to remove it, they don't have to fix it, just not include in the chapters. Doable? Only if they get this message, which will never happen. But I just had to write it here.

Message 14 of 19 (661 Views)

Community Manager

@meeha2 wrote:

3. IT'S BUGGY!!!! I wanted to replace the armor, and... The game closed. Like, literally, just crashed.

There are no plans to remove Firestorm.

In regards to the crashing though, I see that we tried some quick troubleshooting back in March with you via this post. Would you be able to add a fresh DxDiag for us here? There's a lot of community members here willing to help out, we all know crashes can get irritating when you're just trying to have a good time.

We have an article on DirectX Ray Tracing troubleshooting. It's worth a look.

Have you tried reinstalling the game at all? Players that have experienced crashes in the past have had better luck after a fresh reinstall of the game. You have a very nice rig, but even with custom rigs there can be random crashes across all sorts of games (including non-EA). If it's happening regularly, that's clearly a red flag. It's not always easy finding a fix for something on the first or even second try, so we just have to keep going at it because results vary by custom setups.

Are you reaching out to us with this feedback because Firestorm was included in the Tides of War chapter? Curious if that was what led to you to the forums to write this feedback.

Blueberry.png
Message 15 of 19 (637 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Blueberry Thanks for a reply. Not a lot has changed. Only that I added more RAM. Not that it would help with the game, but I have tons of tabs open in Chrome, and so I need 32 GB.

As mentioned before, I feel frustrated that I can't play the mode because DICE... pretty much forces me to play to get the chapter xp/whatever. So I don't care about Firestorm as long as I am not forced to play it, as long as it is not necessary to play this mode to unlock the stuff/guns/else.

I can reinstall the game, I can reinstall the OS, after all, if it would help. But please, explain me one thing. Why does it happen only in Firestorm? All other modes work just fine, all other modes have no issues. At least, that serious. I try to fill up the halftrack - the game crashes. I try to replace the armor - the game crashes. It may be related more to the equipment menu (that is, tab key on the keyboard) than the game itself, so if you could verify it, I would appreciate it.

I think I reinstalled the game some time ago, maybe back in March. I repaired the game for sure about 2 months ago.

I mean, to be fair, I understand that you want more and more people to be playing this mode, but... Is it popular at all? What's the average number of players in a game? When I tried to play it (thank you, no more. Even if you made the entire chapter to play Firestorm), the game couldn't find the servers with players on the 1st try, mostly joined me on the 2nd try, and there were 18-37 people. As such, I can't say it's super popular.

Message 16 of 19 (628 Views)

[ Edited ]

Right off the bat I see DirectX 12, try 11 and see if that changes things. It might affect some FPS but I know a lot of people benefited from changing the number.

Firestorm was initially made by Criterion so it could just be a specific line of code for Firestorm. The problem is not your hardware itself, just most likely a certain setting. From what I can tell, your rig is more than capable.

Using the Russian language setting on the report I can only assume you're Russian? That could be why you are having troubles finding matches in Firestorm - the region has some of the lower player counts for BF in general - I recommend you join a community or create a group so you can all plan matches properly. The Australians did this and it seems to be working well

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Don't be sad, this is just how it works out sometimes
Message 17 of 19 (617 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@TTZ_Dipsy I play on US West servers, and am in the US West, so all is good here. At least, when I play any other mode, even if joining from within the Chapter assignments.

So, now that I learn that this mode was made by another developer (Sorry I didn't make enough research. My bad), I think I see where the problem is. Since DICE has nothing to do with the mode, it must be that Criterion screwed up (I found on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frostbite_(game_engine) that they didn't release a lot of shooters on Frostbite - only Firestorm for BFV and worked a little (I guess?) on SW: BFII. As such, @EA_Blueberry, please, PLEASE!!! ask DICE, or even the entire EA, or whomever, I don't care to whom, not to be including the Firestorm in the chapters anymore. Or, at the very least, make them not that important - maybe a couple of assignments at most. I know it can't be done, but still am asking.

The other option that has a little better chance to live would be to ask DICE to review the code and as such, fix the mode.

OK, whatever, I know any of this will never be done, maybe even reviewed by DICE, so just forget it. I've done enough to be heard, and I know now that the mode was created by other developers, so... I've said all I wanted to say, I let, everybody I could, know that the mode crashes whenever I try to play, so... @EA_Blueberry, please close this thread. Thank you. Thank you @EA_Blueberry, thank you @TTZ_Dipsy.
Message 18 of 19 (608 Views)

Community Manager

@meeha2 

I'll close the post at your request. Like what @TTZ_Dipsy was saying though, going to DX11 should help avoid crashes if you try switching to that for that mode. Firestorm is a MUCH larger map than other BFV maps in the game, so it can be a little more demanding with the amount of things it has to load up.

We've seen both positive and negative feedback on it being included in chapters. One thing to consider is that like you said, wait times can be longer for your region, so by adding it to a chapter where Battlefield fans need to jump in to earn that XP, it can help reduce wait times because of more queuing up. 

Good luck in the next chapter and thanks for the submission here! 

Blueberry.png
Message 19 of 19 (1,319 Views)