Re: Red Alert 2 on Windows 10?

by DAW085

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Red Alert 2 on Windows 10?

★★ Novice

Hi I am trying to install an old CD of Red Alert 2.

When I put in the disc it shows the autorun page but after I click install nothing happens. Event viewer shows that \??\C:\WINDOWS\SysWow64\drivers\SECDRV.SYS has been blocked from loading.

Is there any way to fix that?

Message 1 of 10 (3,014 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice

Hi I have made a case with EA but they were unable to help

View in thread

Message 3 of 10 (2,944 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hey @mike_athome if you have the disc version of the game then the best thing to do is to speak with one of our phone or chat support advisers who will be able to advise you further. 

You can contact our live support at help.ea.com.  

To request a callback or speak with a chat adviser:

Click on your product Origin

Then select 'PC

Manage my Account'

Can't log in

Finally, you can choose to receive a callback or begin a chat.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 10 (2,967 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi I have made a case with EA but they were unable to help

Message 3 of 10 (2,945 Views)

★ Guide
@mike_athome Which CD version do you have? I have decade.
Message 4 of 10 (2,913 Views)

★★ Novice

I have the original Red Alert 2 disc with case and manual

Message 5 of 10 (2,897 Views)

@mike_athome You won't be able to install it from the original CD, sadly. Thanks to Microsoft for that, as they've blocked the installation of the old copy protection drivers (SecuROM, Safedisc, TAGES, StarForce). RA2 was using Safedisc for the CD release, so you won't be able to install the game from the disc.

Legal ways to play the game: Virtual machine with Windows 7 or a dual-boot system with Win10 and Win7/8/8.1 (those OS do not have the installation block for those copy protection drivers). You can also buy for cheap C&C: Ultimate Collection from the Origin store when there are sales.

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 6 of 10 (2,814 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I have to disagree with U, not all games, some are a hit and miss.

My son and I play single play all the time setup from our cds

Message 7 of 10 (2,762 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks for the suggestion, though I tried using a VM but the game runs poorly, and swapping the OS would be too much hassle. No way am I buying the game again

Message 8 of 10 (2,687 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have C&C: Ultimate Collection, but Red Alert 2 does not starts. Once somehow it started, but it had major issues with colours and it was unplayable.

Message 9 of 10 (2,409 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@SzarpaczMAX wrote:

I have C&C: Ultimate Collection, but Red Alert 2 does not starts. Once somehow it started, but it had major issues with colours and it was unplayable.

It's been a while, but I had several issues (lag, Alt + Tab functionality, color distortion) with Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge on Windows 10, which required a couple of fixes in order to get the the titles working, principally editing the RA2.ini and Ra2md.ini files and using ts-ddraw.

I believe if you install CnCNet for the game, it will automatically implement the necessary fixes for you (install Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge from Origin first).

Message 10 of 10 (2,196 Views)