Original Post

Recommend a game to the person above you

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

Hi all,

Time for another forum game!

Rules:

• Name a game genre that you enjoy.
  • The next poster recommends a game based on your favorite genre.
  • Feel free to add why you recommend that game, or ask questions about a recommended game.

That's it.

Aaaaand... let's play Party hat

Message 1 of 38 (1,168 Views)

Re: Recommend a game to the person above you

Survival horror! Large smile

Message 2 of 38 (1,158 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

EDIT: I see I was beat to it, so I will reply: Alien: Isolation. One of  still very few stealth games where, despite having the tools, you are the prey, not the hunter. Bonus points for being quite related to the original Alien movies in terms of plot and atmosphere.

Singleplayer RPG for PC, which isn't TES/Fallout/Mass Effect/ Dragon Age (played all of those) :P

---------------------------------------------------------------
If you think that someone's post helped you, feel free to press the 'Grant XP' button. If someone's instructions helped you solve your problem, please press 'Accept as Solution', so that other people with the same problem can easily find the solution in the future.

I am a volunteer moderator and I don't work for EA. All opinions expressed are my own.
Message 3 of 38 (1,151 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager (retired)

My genre - RTS

@DarkBanishing 

The Evil Within

Fun gameplay and interesting story.   Must-play for any survival-horror fan.

@spitfiresiemion

Kingdom of Amalur: The Reckoning 

Of the best fantasy RPG on PC. Highly underestimated. Just check the metascore. 

Archi.png
Message 4 of 38 (1,142 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

I will shamelessly plug in something that I used to be involved with as tester of community patches (literally the first serious thing I've done on the Internet, a decade ago; luckily my current nickname has nothing to do with one I had back then):

Original War. It's available for cheap on Steam and you can get ~20-25 hours out of singleplayer. A unique (even if vague) story and a very rare approach, where your actual soldiers can't be produced if they die during the mission. You have them, you level them up by doing certain actions, if they die, you lose them for good. AI might not be the brightest, but the missions still are one heck of a challenge. There still is a passionate community which creates mods and patches for Original War.

From more mainstream RTS, Dawn of War (original one; I also recommend Winter Assault and Dark Crusade add-ons) - solid campaign, nice balance and not much micromanagement for RTS standards (there is way more focus on map control).

Okay, I will have one more turn... co-op-focused game.

---------------------------------------------------------------
If you think that someone's post helped you, feel free to press the 'Grant XP' button. If someone's instructions helped you solve your problem, please press 'Accept as Solution', so that other people with the same problem can easily find the solution in the future.

I am a volunteer moderator and I don't work for EA. All opinions expressed are my own.
Message 5 of 38 (1,134 Views)

@spitfiresiemion 

Dawn of War is great! Planning to play the third one, once my PC will have enough power Standard smile As for Original War, never played it, so might give it a try. Reminded me of KKnD somehow. What a game it was...

Archi.png
Message 6 of 38 (1,126 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I enjoy horror, but not really "survival". Resource management in games has always felt like a chore for me.

The best games, in my own opinion, are those with recharging resources at your constant or bursting disposal.

A good example of this being done just right would be "Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen".

The game's magic, melee AND ranged attacks ALL use stamina alone.

With a single bar to monitor between castings, strikes and efforts such as climbing and carrying, it's rather simple to figure out and play with, yet isn't dull or a hassle.

I don't like weapons with limited ammo, so Titanfall 2's new system for primary weapons was a "GOD YES" for me. Reloading time and mag-size alone is balance enough.

Arrows that you don't need to purchase crud-tons of just to play an archer? Yes please.

Message 7 of 38 (1,111 Views)

@Repreive - Amnesia - harrowing horror. Wink

@spitfiresiemion - Co-op oriented (and RPG for bonus points) - Divinity: Original Sin. Can definitely be played solo but is much more enjoyable as co-op. Also, for an earlier request, I approve @EA_Archi's suggestion of Kingdoms of Amalur. Loved that game so much! My suggestion for solo RPG is Arx Fatalis. Best magic casting system ever. It's probably 15 years old or so now, but still an awesomely fun game.

For me, my preferred genre is RPGs as well. I've played close to every MMO under the sun, so no MMO RPGs. I've played Skyrim, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, The Witcher, Divinity: Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numera, and more so snagging one I haven't played may be difficult, but I'd still love to hear people's favorites and why. ^_^

- Eric

Message 8 of 38 (1,104 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Going a couple posts up, @DarkBanishing, Silent Hill 2!!!  Even to this day the directors cut holds up incredibly well.  They did such a good job of creating an atmosphere that left you wondering what was beyond the fog, what was in that building.  The buildings themselves were a respite from the fog, but nowhere near safe.  I remember playing the first one when I was younger on PS1, literally I finished that game and brought it back in for credit just to get it away from me...how I wish I still had it.

Any other favorites in Survival Horror?

Message 9 of 38 (1,087 Views)

[ Edited ]

My favorite genres: RPG, TBS and RTT.

@DarkBanishingand @Porthos5  as for someone that thoroughly enjoys survival horror i can recommend a few (some you might have already played):

Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (2001), Nocturne, Resident Evil 1/2, Silent Hill 1 - 4 (sorry, but the western ones are just mediocre compared with the japanese ones), Outlast (both), Blair Witch Volume 1: Rustin Parr (the other two are optional, as they are not too great), Undying.

I have yet to try Evil Within and Alien Isolation.

The games i've listed are old school survival horror: little action, lots of survival. And the horror is mostly psychological, not the usual gore. It's all about a normal human being, trying their best to survive in a chilling situation with really limited resources and plain old human ingenuity. There are very few games in the genre and i was stretching it a bit with Undying, but the others are exactly on that definition. 

Will throw in Alan Wake, The Suffering, Anna, Deadly Premonition and to some extent F.E.A.R.

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 10 of 38 (1,077 Views)