Recoil (1998) reboot/sequel please!

by alctraz99

Original Post

Highlighted

Recoil (1998) reboot/sequel please!

★★★ Novice

This was a first /third person vehicular warfare/shooter game published by zipper interactive in 1998, unlike other shooters back in the day this game had a lot of crazy tech you could play around with (2 different kind of lasers, energy bullets, homing missiles, mines with remote detonation, napalm, freezing canons, electricity beams and more) plus driving that tank was beyond cool. There were 6 maps if I remember correctly and each unique like waterworld/ice/ruined city/volcanic crater with some kind of energy production facility and a final machine city controlled by some central mainframe supercomputer. It was kind of like an alternate terminator /matrix timeline where machines nuke mankind to take control of the planet and you're given control of this badass prototype combat vehicle called a BFT to save the day. The game was amazing back in its day so I can imagine what the devs will be able to do now with a modern engine and new tools! I remember literally being stuck on the maps for months on end trying to figure out how to tactically beat the AI and preserve my nukes(I was 7) Tongue out plus that techno soundtrack was really cool.. To this day there's no other game like recoil and it'll be really awesome if the devs consider a reboot of some sort with the latest tech and a rehauled engine (maybe an updated titanfall engine?)

Here is some gameplay footage to reignite the nostalgia:

https://youtu.be/V_Y1W0k6JNc

It's a really slim chance I know but if by some miracle a dev reads this and you worked on the old game could you consider giving this game a second life in this gen. All I see are yearly reskins of call of duty or assassin's creed(nothing against them though, they're good IPs). Let's go the bionic commando route once more and try some quality reboots! 

Message 1 of 6 (648 Views)

Re: Recoil (1998) reboot/sequel please!

Community Manager

Hey @alctraz99 I am not aware of any plans for a remaster or re-release of Recoil but I will pass your feedback on to the team.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 6 (606 Views)

★★★ Novice

@EA_Darko Wow, when I had originally posted this the best I had hoped for was a few views from the community. Thanks a lot for considering my post and if you do have the means to pass this onto the team that would really be the miracle I was hoping for ! I really do appreciate the fact that someone from EA actually took the time and effort to read and reply to such an off-topic post.

I know that Zipper Interactive has been shut down after they didnt have much success with the PS Vita, but after digging up online I discovered that they were actually a subsidiary of EA so I figured this would be the best place to post.

Recoil came to mind when I was randomly watching a video on nvidia DLSS 2.0 and how they implemented it into Mechwarrior 5. And like all nerd gamers and retro tech heads we were actually discussing this over a LAN & beer gaming session that same day Standard smile The next day, I decided to try it out and after a bit of searching for the file on the internet and some software tweaking I got it running in software mode on windows 10.

What followed was an absolute nostalgia galore....the surprising thing was that a 2 decade old game at this point really managed to feel fresh and (wierdly enough) unique after playing endless corridor and open world RPGs and Shooters with the same old,recycled mechanics. Yes, clearly the game looks like it's a joke, even by 15 year old standards but come on.. this was a time before they even knew what textures were outside of movie making !

With all the new hardware(7 button gaming mice and mechanical keyboards with dedicated macros that we have now) and years of gaming experience behind us, this game in spite of everything felt amazing gameplay wise. They were clearly onto something when they designed the weapons systems and combat mechanics. What started as just a trip down the nostalgia lane, and a few minutes later and in spite of myself it got me thinking: This game was still fun to play !  I decided  to go through and finish the game, and boy am I glad I did..

Later I did some searching on old reddit posts and youtube and surprisingly there are a lot of people out there who desparately want a sequel/reboot of some sort to recoil. In fact feel free to check that my claim is valid: Youtube is riddled with these comments on all old recoil gameplay videos.

I sincerely feel that this game deserves a second look at least. There's nothing out there right now that feels even remotely similar to recoil gameplay-wise. 

I know its too much to ask at this point, but I'm sure if some kind of toll could be put up on the forums for a recoil reboot or sequel by the devs I'm sure you would have a lot of happy retro gamers signing up on that queue..

Again, I really do appreciate the positive feedback you've given and I really do hope that someday we get to drive the BFT a second time through high polygon meshes with RTX on, nuking the hell out of a much smarter enemy AI, with new and unique weapons only a recoil game could ever dream of having.

Cheers!

Message 3 of 6 (586 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @alctraz99 I will pass your feedback on though it's unlikely that we will see a return for the franchise but again, stranger things have happened.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 4 of 6 (550 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Would highly appreciate a renewed version of RECOIL for windows 10.

Hope this message gets to the developers/

Message 5 of 6 (487 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @Windraider2010 we will pass your feedback on to the team.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 6 of 6 (463 Views)