Re: Are the spore servers still up in 2021?

by FordFamily2021

Original Post

Re: Are the spore servers still up in 2020?

Message 21 of 39 (2,625 Views)

★★★ Newbie

My problem is I have the physical CD from 2009 and I recently installed it to revisit some nostalgia. I get the generic error about network connection but I'm well connected. Do I have to give in and purchase it via steam just to go online?

Message 22 of 39 (2,593 Views)

★★ Pro
@mikeovelli882 The disc version is no longer supported and there is no way to update it to the latest version, so you cannot access the servers. You can uninstall the disc version and then download for free from Origin, this will install the latest version.

If the game is not listed in your Origin library, you may need to enter your serial code from the back of the manual into Origin.
Message 23 of 39 (2,581 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@Kyle_Necrowolf Well, that's disappointing. They are still selling the disc version on Amazon, and my son bought a copy this week with his birthday money. Since we opened it, I doubt we can get his money back.
Message 24 of 39 (2,507 Views)

★★ Pro
@FordFamily2021 Redeem the code from the back of the manual on Origin, it'll appear for download
Message 25 of 39 (2,500 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@Kyle_Necrowolf wrote:

Subscriptions do not seem to get access to servers for EA games. Only those who purchase the game can use online features.

You can try to see if EA Support will give you a serial code to register (which is what controls whether you can access the servers), but this is not guaranteed.

You will likely get an unusual error in Spore, either that it can't connect, or that network play is disabled. The game can still be played offline, but you will not be able to register a Spore screen name to use online features.

Why is spore on gamepass then? If it's defective, it should be removed, not creating more issues. Seems fishy even, like EA is using the keys as an incentive to buy the game, while being held hostage. kinda ridiculous if you ask me. (Blame EA)

Message 26 of 39 (2,490 Views)

★★ Pro
@PS4Superiority Absolutely agree. They should either figure out a solution to get the game registered to the account with a subscription, or at least clearly state that online features will not work without purchasing the game outright

Especially now that Origin pushes you to get EA Play instead of purchasing the game (which is hidden under a submenu)

Sadly there's been no response from EA in the three months that this has been an issue... a couple of the Spore discords have been recommending the GOG version because it includes the serial code, has no DRM, works best with mods (due to lack of DRM), and goes on sale pretty often. Doesn't do much for new players who won't know this though.
Message 27 of 39 (2,474 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I bought spore 3 years ago via origin 

I have CD Key but i dont know why, but i cant register in game all time i get reply Internet problems or server ...

but my connection is alright. Where is the problem?

Message 28 of 39 (2,057 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Cheeky_Gaming10 yo what? i right clicked on spore on steam but i am not seeing anything about CD codes
Message 29 of 39 (1,865 Views)

★★★ Newbie

im having the same issue. i dont think steam has the cd codes out in the open anymore, we'll probably have to contact steam support.

Message 30 of 39 (1,858 Views)