Ranking system is broken

by Vaetherian

Original Post

Ranking system is broken

★★★ Novice

The ranking system is completely broken and needs rewriting FAST.

Major issues with ranking system:

1) "It is safe to leave" lie

No it's not. At the point my team was just me and a single wingman and the scoreboard was keep saying "it is safe to leave" I left.

And I lost 50 MM points, which is actually more than I gained in the previous 2 fleet battles that I won

2) "Match not scored"

Already happened a lot, when opponent left, sometimes when we already got some advantage, and because HE left, WE are punished with no rewards for battle we would have won one way or another. I completely agree that the undercrew squadron should not get penalties if they are forced into 4v5, but it's insane to not award winning team anyway.

3) "Side selection"

Both sides are different in the Fleet Battles mode. Yet in last 6 games in a row, I was assigned Imperial. This is ridicoulus. There is probably a long way till we balance the game properly, but if we are not assigned more or less equally to both sides, there should be separate ranking. Or some forced mechanic to switch side every match. This is absurd.

4) "Amount of points awarded"

So, after playing 7 placement matches, and getting 5-2 ratio, I had to play the other three, and with 2-1 ratio I got assigned to Maverick 3. So what? To climb up I would have to win around 100 matches in a row? (probably 200 with players leaving and "match not scored") Are You serious? A fake "safe to leave" message costed me 2 games already. 

5) "MMR based on score, not results"

Again, MMR is broken simply because it's not Your score. It is effect of all the squadron. Even if You are top player in Your team, and have more points than all the rest of Your team, and even more than majority of the players from the opposite side, You are all treated equally. If XP can be based on amount of points, why MMR isn't? This is absurd. It should be changed quickly.

This is especially sad, because in a long term this is "multiplayer game" mostly. And if ranking system for the main game mode is broken, there is not much really to play for, and the game will be dead in few weeks, which I'd really not want to happen, as gameplay wise it's exactly the game I was waiting for...

Message 1 of 16 (1,776 Views)

Re: Ranking system is broken

★★★ Novice

Also, what hit me today.

There should be a mandatory squadron/wing/clan support in the game.

Not to mention an option to create Your own custom battle, to enable any clan competitions and tournaments.

You've decided to make multiplayer biased game, so make it a multiplayer competition eligible.

Message 2 of 16 (1,713 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I've waited for a post like this.

Thought a friend and me were teh only one with this kind of problems.

I really liek this game. The lack of content wouldn't be a problem for me if i could rank correctly.

I've won 9/10 placement matches and was ranked low Hotshot 1.

Because i played 6/10 before patch 1.1 and 4/10 after patch 1.1. Bad luck. A friend of mine ranked compelety after patch and he ranked Hotshot 3 (he is insane bad at the game).

I thought OK... let's do this. Rank up.

I won the following 8 or so games and went from 1019 rating to 1096 rating in this tier. That means avg. 10 Points per win. I realized that i need 1800 Points to the next rank (Hero). That means 70 wins without any loss...

Then i lost one game very close with really good stats. I lost nearly 40 Points in this game. Half of my comlete progression was lost in one game...

I instantly stopped playing. I felt so bad.

I like the game so much that i decided to wait, if this is a problem or normal. Could't find any post online. Played Dogfights for 3 days.

Yesterday i decided to give it one more chance. I played one ranked game. One of my teammates left (dk. if disconnect or leaying). We lost this one and i lost nearly the same ammount of points. I instantly stopped again.

3 friends stopped playing too, because the ranking is so bad.

Message 3 of 16 (1,634 Views)

★★ Apprentice

must be nice to earn rank.  My entire squadron is skill rating 0 and our ranks havent moved.  some of use have 180 fleet battles already with a 90% win ratio.

Random Faction is fine.  its good, and it stops queues from being loopsided.  after almost 20 hours of fleet battles, your faction isn't the reason you are winning or losing.

The issue with points is that a majority of the community is rank 0.  So you may face a team of lvl 70s and 80s (like mine) and get stomped because again, 180 fleet battle games under our belts. and then lose massive rating.

Its bugged they said they are working on it.  Hopefully it is soon, and hopefully it comes with a full rank reset.

Before the bug hit, we would get 3-7% gain a win and about the same for a loss and we were maverick 3/hot shot 1.  then one by one we all got the rank 0 bug. 

MMR should 100% be based on results.  Its a team game, its a team fight game.  Every team game does MMR on results not individual points.  Fly as a team, win as a team.  they should do ranked 1v1s or ranked dogfights to reward player skill.

Getting 61 player kills in fleet battles doenst matter if you are still losing.  The game mode is all about playing the objective.

Message 4 of 16 (1,620 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Yes from your standpoint its really bad without ranking at all.

Just wanted to say that there's another problem beside not ranking. Haven't found that much with this topic.

Playing 3 hours an get all progress killed by one loss is nearly the same pain as not ranking i think ;-/

I think you could be right, playing against good players with rank bug leads to massive point loss.

Message 5 of 16 (1,613 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@deHannibal wrote:

Yes from your standpoint its really bad without ranking at all.

Just wanted to say that there's another problem beside not ranking. Haven't found that much with this topic.

Playing 3 hours an get all progress killed by one loss is nearly the same pain as not ranking i think ;-/

I think you could be right, playing against good players with rank bug leads to massive point loss.

I feel your pain. All the quitting out is killing the fun of ranking and the way single losses ruin your rank so fast is especially frustrating when you are not constantly playing in a squadron of 5 which I don't have the privilege of very often.

Message 6 of 16 (1,606 Views)

★ Guide

I'm playing nothing but Fleet Battles and never get ranked.

All I get is Rank Update 0% before and after patch 1.1 ...

So, I have no idea what everyone is on about ranking ...

Game is fun though...

Message 7 of 16 (1,604 Views)

★★★ Novice

I totally agree. Besides this fake ranking system the matchmaking isn't working great as well. Sometimes when you join a game you start with a 4v5 situation. Those are the worst. The feeling you can't leave a match witch you will certainly loss. It's so frustrating that i'm considering dropping this game. I like the gameplay but this is completely ruining it for me.

Message 8 of 16 (1,586 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same problem. My whole squad is at match rating 0 after qualifying for ranked and 80% win rates

Message 9 of 16 (1,551 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hi, I'm totally with you and I'm actually surprised that only 4 people (me included) upvoted this.

I get that there are serious issues with people not ranking, so I should not complain about getting 4% progression with a win and up to -31% with a loss playing 3v5 (THREE vs FIVE).

But assuming they're going to reset rankings to have a fresh start, when they fix all bugs, I hope the situation won't be like this otherwise playing ranked will still not make sense.

1) Lost points twice before realizing that it was NOT safe to leave, regardless of how many people have remained in the team (4 or 2 doesn't matter).

2) Match not scored sucks, yes. What sucks most is actually winning (and stomping the enemy) 4v5 and not getting a reward. And then losing like 25% on the subsequent loss.

And yeah losing players should not lose anything if outnumbered!!

3) I don't mind that per sè, and by the way 6 games are statistically too few to say the randomization isn't working. My problem with sides is that the Empire is just stronger at the moment, when sieging. Tie Bombers get up to 4k hull and are faster than Y Wings, and also can shoot at full power indefinitely with power transfer from engines to the rotary cannon, which by the way is broken as hell.

4) I tried to get up to 20% when winning and losing 3-4% when not, depends on the skill level of your team vs theirs (I guess). I can accept having to win 10-15 games (assuming no losses) to level up, but I also expect to get a boost for winning streaks and so on. For the love of god just copy League of Legend's ranking system.

5) Totally agree. I systematically end fleet battles with scores like 30/10, 50k capital ship damage (I alternate between interceptors and bombers) and I'm still Maverik 3, and I can't see a light at the end of the tunnel. I've come as close as 93ish% towards Hotshot and then I lost 20+% in a single loss, maybe even when outnumbered (in the previous days, now it seems they're fixing it).

Please EA/Motive fix this ranking system asap or you'll lose people quickly, and that's the last thing I want because I've been waiting for such a game since X-Wing vs Tie Fighter 25 years ago...

Message 10 of 16 (1,550 Views)