Ranked Mode Tips and Advice

by TomatoGun97

Original Post

Ranked Mode Tips and Advice

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Anybody on here got some solid tips for climbing past Platinum IV in ranked mode? And camping isn't really an option in my book, so none of that XD Thought it would be nice for people who are also stuck on a certain rank to hear from the community and try improve. I haven't moved from 480RP for two days and it's becoming extremely frustrating 

Message 1 of 19 (699 Views)

Re: Ranked Mode Tips and Advice

★★ Pro
@TomatoGun97 Don't queue solo, ever.
Message 2 of 19 (689 Views)

★ Guide
@Anlbrd Been doing it with friends constantly. Pushed through the first three like a light breeze. For some reason I'm just not cutting it here
Message 3 of 19 (684 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@TomatoGun97Make allowance for the possibility that you've met the players who are more or less exactly your skill level. Some might move onto Pred and the remnants might be easier, but it could be that this is your position in the overall scheme of things.

In terms of tips - 3man everything and everyone, call targets by character. If you recognise the champions and know that you 100% do not want to fight them at the end, you can rat around and track them by the killfeed and sounds to 3p them (Dirty but if others are doing the same thing, why not). I wish they'd remove the kill feed for this reason but the suggestion didn't get any traction.

When you land if you hear any footsteps that aren't yours or your team mates : consolidate absolutely immediately. 2 people punching and 1 person with a p2020 vs 1 other guy is way better than spreading out, finding loot/guns but fighting 3 x 3v1s against you.

Message 4 of 19 (680 Views)

★ Guide
@Anlbrd Thank you heaps, man. Not to sound like the arrogant type or anything like that, but I know within me I can be much better than Platinum. I also think it's quite daunting having it cost 3RP every time. My aim so far off in ranked
Message 5 of 19 (672 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@Anlbrd wrote:

@TomatoGun97Make allowance for the possibility that you've met the players who are more or less exactly your skill level. Some might move onto Pred and the remnants might be easier, but it could be that this is your position in the overall scheme of things.

In terms of tips - 3man everything and everyone, call targets by character. If you recognise the champions and know that you 100% do not want to fight them at the end, you can rat around and track them by the killfeed and sounds to 3p them (Dirty but if others are doing the same thing, why not). I wish they'd remove the kill feed for this reason but the suggestion didn't get any traction.

When you land if you hear any footsteps that aren't yours or your team mates : consolidate absolutely immediately. 2 people punching and 1 person with a p2020 vs 1 other guy is way better than spreading out, finding loot/guns but fighting 3 x 3v1s against you.

For me, staying close on drop is a must. Splitting to far from each other results in a quick game, and getting focussed fired by teams who do drop close to each other.

To many think splitting up, buildings away is best as you all get loot, but it just leaves you vulnerable to teams who do stay close.

Staying close means more targets for the opposition (instead of just one). Staying close means more fire power to shoot at the opposition.

Ping enemies and keep your eyes peeled. I've pinged enemies and my team mates just go about their day still looting. Get close, stay close and give your enemies as rougher time as you can.

Message 6 of 19 (655 Views)

★★ Expert

Communication and planning is key. 

I also managed to get to Gold I through solo queuing and just following one other teammate to use as a meat shield. Currently in Plat and only play with a full pre-made squad as I want all 3 of us to be alive when we enter top 5. 

But again, talk and make a plan for your next move. Play based on everyone's strength that's on your team, I enjoy ambushing enemies or fighting in tight spots. So when I party up with 2 others, I lead and make the decisions on where to go and what to do. I accommodate those who love rushing into battle by setting up a spot to return to in the event that a battle is taking too long or we are being crushed.  Back up plans are great as not all fights lead to success.

Also really utilize every legends abilities. Pathfinders great if you have the high ground as you can shoot ziplines in all directions attaching them to places the enemies can't reach, or by throwing smokes as Bangy on enemies so that another team near by can see the smoke and rush it, making room for you to 3p. Also don't forget to use Ults as much as you can, they recharge at a nice rate if you pace yourself, and plenty of accelerants are always laying around. 

This is how I'm making my way up to Apex Pred.  

Worse case though, wait for respawn ships and rack up those easy kills

Message 7 of 19 (648 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@TomatoGun97 I respect the play style, probably similar to mine - I'm an entire division below you but I can only recommend the basics. Even though you probably roam the map a lot, when you get into a firefight practice hugging cover as much as you can and then keep in mind your opponent can have cheats. So always face them if you can, even behind cover, bait them out, and catch those first shots - peaking behind your cover. Or if you're playing someone like Octane you can literally slide-jump into them and their bot won't 'register', it will miss pretty often and you can outplay that way. Keep trying to land different places, change up your route, and take initiative for your squad if something needs to be said/done.

Message 8 of 19 (646 Views)

★ Guide

@Silz616 

@iBlockHead 

Thank you guys so much for the support and tips, but also bringing those basics back to my mind. You'll be happy to know I've now won one of my last five, and all the others I finished top 5 and above. Really getting me into a positive mindset ahead. If you guys ever wanna squad up, my username's right there. Chuck me an add and we'll lay down on some ranked. Keen to get to predator

Message 9 of 19 (633 Views)

★ Guide

@Anlbrd Same for you, man Large smile

Message 10 of 19 (623 Views)