Re: Ranked - Indefinite Beacon Holding & Squad Wide Placement/RP Rewards

by Anlbrd

Original Post

Ranked - Indefinite Beacon Holding & Squad Wide Placement/RP Rewards

★★★ Apprentice

With the Leaver Penalty now in place it doesn't make any lick of sense to me to give the community the option of holding onto player beacons indefinitely.  Casuals is a non-issue due to zero penalty for leaving, but in Ranked with no in-game report system it's a troller's wet dream.  Regardless of the rarity of occurrence having the option of holding a player hostage for whatever asinine reason randoms and duos come up with is utterly ridiculous.  Sooner or later it's going to be abused.

Why isn't there a timer for how long your teammates can hold onto them?  They should eventually expire the same way they do in boxes if no one picks them up.  If your teammates don't respawn you after a certain amount of time and they expire you should be able to bounce freely instead of being at the mercy of other players.

Also... why are placement and rp rewards tied to the entire squad and not individuals?  It's another easily exploitable/trolly feature that rewards players for dying and essentially AFKing for simply watching the survivor afterwards.

If the survivor's teammates died stupid early and said survivors continue on to top 3 - 5 then so does the rest of the squad?  For what?  Potentially making their jobs harder?  I don't get it.

Why should the players that died thus potentially putting the survivors in a rough spot benefit from their play in a competitive format?  A queued trio is one thing but a duo and solo queuer getting awarded in that regard doesn't make any sense to me.  At least in the rise from Bronze to Platinum where top fiving alone is essentially child's play if you play it safe and aren't unlucky.

...Thoughts?

Message 1 of 4 (238 Views)

★★★ Expert

What if a player runs half of the map with the banners of both his mates in his hands, defying death every moment, then dies protecting the respawn beacon  or covering the teammates' escape, which then survive to take the win? Why wouldn't that be an effort to be rewarded?

But I agree that, in order to be worthy of the awards given for your team efforts, you need to have some form of participation in that team's activity: provide zip lines, jump pads, health, care packages, ping / gas / trap enemies, share / ping items (requested by teammates) , do damage, get kills / knockdowns, get revives, get respawns...

Message 2 of 4 (203 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Totally understand where you're coming from with the respawn beacon, but something DEFINITELY has to be done about squad wide placements.

I just played two games in a row where my teammates made bonehead challenges that got them killed super early and forced me to solo or die trying to recover their beacons.  Even after I tried leading them from the fight.  Both games one of them rage quit immediately while the other stuck around and watched me for 15 minutes for my 2 - 5 placement because he knew he'd get it too.

This is getting ridiculous for solo queuers.  It doesn't make any sense for them not to earn the placement they got when they died instead of the survivor's.  It's literally free rp for not contributing to the placement at all.  Total BS.

Message 3 of 4 (175 Views)

★★ Pro

You team should benefit from the results of the game that you're in together, nomatter what.  You can't balance this around players acting in bad faith because its an extreme minority of cases and can never be truly combated completely.  The presumption on the part of the game has to be that the team are playing together in good faith.

I've heard about people taking issue with early leavers, and I've heard about some people feeling aggrieved that they've carried players who were bad enough to qualify as AFK - but I've never seen a post until today where someone complains about people who leave AND people who stay :D

Message 4 of 4 (169 Views)