Re: Rampart won't ever be strong

by 1ronKeys

Original Post

Rampart won't ever be strong

★★★ Expert

I like the idea of Rampart, she's a fun character.  But she's got core problems, and that's aside from being a team character and people knowing how to play her, all of which keeps her back as well.

But the core problems are her abilities.  First, the walls take too long to put up.  Yes, once they are up they protect...a little.  They buff shots...a little.  But they are stationary, aren't good to place in every situation, and are easily destroyed.  Thats' whether with one shot as they take forever to go up, or just with enough sustained damage.

The second problem is the minigun...which also is stationary.  I do like that it's on a quick timer, given it isn't that good.  And it's also true that the damage is pretty brutal to anyone moving through the open.  Having said that, anybody who sees it coming, or who survives the initial surprise of the gun...which isn't that surprising given it jets out a laser...is going to be able to avoid it.  And yeah, even with the walls, if you are on the gun, since you aren't moving, you are vulnerable.

Not saying that there aren't the great games with Rampart.  Not saying I don't play her to have a real good time.  But after using her for a while, she's weak.  And I don't think that you can shift her abilities slightly to really solve the big problems.  Increase the speed at putting up the walls, could be she becomes broken.  Make things like the minigun mobile, it's too powerful.  I think she's doomed to mediocrity, but will get pick rates just for entertainment.  

Message 1 of 6 (293 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@KelRiever When it was obvious what her abilities were before season 6, I immediately thought " well she's going to be underwhelming". Alas I havent seem a Sheila laying around for a few weeks...

Respawn is really good at making new players initially weak and trying to buff them into viability later. (Revenant, Crypto)
Message 2 of 6 (284 Views)

★ Expert
@TheTrafficKing I honestly like that more than OP at release then nerfed to obscurity. Atleast people who pick them up won't be picking them up because they're OP but because they're genuinely interested at the character.
Message 3 of 6 (280 Views)

★ Expert
@KelRiever Whenever someone takes Rev I usually pick her. She's incredibly fun and her shields are useful for my playstyle. The only thing I have trouble using is her ult as it's way too situational and needs a lot of prep time.
Message 4 of 6 (276 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Between OP and UP I too prefer UP. But ideally they should come out right in that sweet spot where players like Bangalore is. She hasn't had a buff or nerf in a long time because she's pretty well balanced. Though her ult could use a little more utility so she is due. 

Message 5 of 6 (269 Views)

★★★★★ Pro

Her shields shoulsnt be so instantaneous as they'd be way too OP.

Just dump em down straight away in every fight and you have one way protection. Not to mention spam 4 of them.

Same for her gun.

Her abilities are more suited to setting up a stronghold.

I think there is a small dilemma in their durability... at long range can be underwhelming. But if stronger they're going to be OP at close range and blocking doors.

Message 6 of 6 (259 Views)