REQUEST: Dynamic Day/Night Maps Based on Local Server Time

by SterlingARCH3R

Original Post

REQUEST: Dynamic Day/Night Maps Based on Local Server Time

[ Edited ]
Champion

I brought this request up for BF1 several months ago, but I think that it would apply beautifully for BFV. I'd like to see the maps change from day to night and vice versa based purely on the local time of the server. Then, every map would have a night version (and night maps would have a day version).

If some players are gone for most of the day due to school or work, then the concern would be that they'd only be playing night maps except maybe on weekends and holidays. But I have a solution for this: half the servers can be local time +12 hours. 

Thoughts?

If you found this post helpful, please leave XP.
If you disagree, please leave a comment.
Either way, it helps to make the post more informative.

I like game design - from itty bitty bugs to big ideas.
I don't work for EA.

Join us on our Easter Egg hunt.
Message 1 of 7 (769 Views)

Re: REQUEST: Dynamic Day/Night Maps Based on Local Server Time

@SterlingARCH3R

I remember this question from back in BF1. Any yea, that thing with (when players always play thing) was probably the biggest issue on that i guess. Wink

The solution idea is not bad, but i'm not sure if that's an easy way for the Team to set servers up to work that way with the in-game time (night/day) similar to where they're located at, and to make the half servers work different (with the +12 hours thing). Might be difficult, i guess!

But why not just make it more like a part of the dynamic weather thing?! Wink

Like... the server match starts randomly at the evening time, and turns into night later on.
Or otherwise, you play at night and the sunrise begins.

Maybe more chance that we could see stuff like that happening. Standard smile

CCP Hero Banner 1 Grande.png

Message 2 of 7 (740 Views)

Champion (Retired)
Dynamic day night cycle could be cool. I don't really see any real benefit in fixing it to real world server location though. An accelerated cycle where it's completing the full day/night change multiple times a day with an extra bit of detail in the server browser to say at what point in the cycle any particular server currently is would give people the most chance of getting into a game they want to play.
Message 3 of 7 (587 Views)

Champion

This could work beautifully, too.

If you found this post helpful, please leave XP.
If you disagree, please leave a comment.
Either way, it helps to make the post more informative.

I like game design - from itty bitty bugs to big ideas.
I don't work for EA.

Join us on our Easter Egg hunt.
Message 4 of 7 (571 Views)

My favorite day/night cycle is around an hour of daytime followed by around 20 minutes of nighttime.

Mostly following BioWare & Star Wars games. Old timer. Helping out here does not mean I work for EA so I don't have all the answers. Also hangs out on BSN. 

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 5 of 7 (564 Views)

Hero

I think it's important to realize that the maps that work = are fun in the day don't necessarily work at nighttime and the other way around.

A map that works both at night and at day would take a lot longer to make which would make this awesome feature result in there perhaps being fewer maps.

Also, I also believe there's there are quite a few people that like day maps more than night maps (night maps in BF historically don't get played as much I've heard). 

carbonic signature

Message 6 of 7 (557 Views)

While i like the idea, i also agree that such maps would take more time to develop. And looking at how often maps like Nivelle Nights and Prise de Tahure are entering in the playing rotation (most players avoid them like plague and personally, i kind of like night maps)... Just jump in a game and see how many votes those maps get...Or look how they curse to the fog covering the battlefield sometimes. 

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 7 of 7 (540 Views)