Accepted Solution

░REPREHEN$IBLE░ An A N T H E M Story

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

R E P R E H E N $ I B L E
A N   A  N  T  H  E  M   S T O R Y  | by bulletw1st

Anthem-Header.jpg

ACT 01 [TOO MUCH REALITY]

There is reason to expect emotional responses, here.  There's anger.  And also a sense of betrayal and feeling lied to and cheated by some other entity.  It is interesting that you cannot point a finger at one person on the side of BioWare or a corporation such as EA.  Still, issues causing pre-order cancellations are not isolated incidences and that's abundantly clear at this point.  Publishers and developers alike drop the ball far too often these days despite having years of production time.  Anthem's stability issues & bugs have become the hallmark of this early release--especially on PC.  It's reaching the proportions of a scandal.  I say "reaching" but not quite  there, yet.

I think it is fair to say that BioWare was overconfident and overreaching in its ability to control its technological assets (this includes personnel) associated with a launch of this magnitude.  I think that's clear, as well.  And if so, they would have communicated to EA that they were ready for the early launch.  Of course, EA would not have wanted to hear about delays but I doubt BioWare expressed any concerns whatsoever and came across as fully confident in all communications with their publisher.  But there had to be a few people within the BioWare ranks that knew it was going to be a catastrophe forcing the company into excessive damage control.  Someone probably kept bringing up the same burning concern but was quickly met with skepticism:  "Oh, don't worry so much.  That won't happen."  What went wrong?  How could there have been ample time for development and testing and yet  have a release that is utterly stupefying?

But, they were committed to a schedule.  Nothing was going to change that.  Can BioWare ultimately be blamed for being negligent in terms of just throwing caution to the wind?  They put a lot on the line to just hope for the best, hope things wouldn't be this bad.  We do not need to be angry because they are going to lose a lot of sales because they took a chance and got burned.  That's punishment, enough.  They can't be feeling very good about the damage this early release has now done to their image, not to mention any confidence players held for Anthem.  But maybe they're so blind that they don't see that, either?  Surely, no one at BioWare has time to see anything other than bug lists.  Sadly, much of the game's future success now relies heavily on the charity of its most loyal fans, sticking with it and bringing back others by word-of-mouth, once things calm down a little and major concerns get addressed.

More testing was required.  It seemed like they were doing enough testing--having Alphas and Betas and two "Demos" and the EA 'Gamechangers' Program but it seems that perhaps the team inside BioWare was not experienced enough or did not have enough resources in terms of personnel to properly prepare.  The other possibility is that these dedicated servers they're using are junk because EA didn't want to spend money on the good stuff--but money's being spent now?  It's probably a combination of things.  But BioWare cannot reverse time.  The sales that could have been had, were they prepared, would probably have nearly doubled the amount of copies sold over the next month alone.  They needed a rock solid launch on February 15th if only because the game, despite having a lot of good things going for it, was lacking on the content-side which BioWare knew about, too.  Can Act 01 save the day??  Stay tuned!  Only time will tell...

Anthem-Header2.jpg

ACT 02 [CATACLYSMIC FIASCO]

So, where does this leave us, now?  Well, just one possible 'out' remains for BioWare:  the DAY ONE PATCH.  This has to be bullet proof.  Absolutely  B U L L E T   P R O O F.  What cannot happen is that people on the Playstation 4 also experience major bugs other than maybe the long loading screens (which will likely improve slightly in the next series of patches).  Nothing that crashes the game booting you back to the dashboard or the game locking up requiring you to reboot the console--none of that!  If people on the PS4 go through what PC players have gone through BioWare will be called out for being a fraudulent company simply because you cannot sell games as being AAA and have them not function in any sort of reasonable state.  I do not foresee major problems for consoles after the Day One Patch installs but they need to lock down the PC-end of things, fast.  And this doesn't address a lot of the problems with the game like with how little content there is to play hence grinding for Masterwork and Legendary stuff will become boring AF.

anthem_new.jpg

ACT 03 [A NEW DAY DAWNS...?]

'WILL THERE BE A SILVER LINING FOR BIOWARE AND FOR THOSE WHO STICK AROUND?
'

It is going to happen over the next month or month-and-a-half that BioWare corrects 99% of the game's stability issues.  The Day One Patch will likely bring Anthem to a very acceptable level of performance--probably less than a few percent of PC players will still find that they're continuing to suffer from game-breaking bugs--testing further the patience of all but the most ardently faithful.  Who could blame anyone still having PC issues from abandoning ship?  So after February 22nd and the big patch, the problem then will be lack of content.  BioWare will have to make considerable content dumps soon enough and most players will be fine with how things go; however, if these additions of new content cause new stability issues we're going to have big problems.  People will give up on the game en masse.  Personally, I like flying around in a mech suit so I'll be there to see how things turn out.  I won't pass judgement until I check out Act 01, which is about four weeks away.  I like Anthem enough, despite its flaws, to give it until then to begin showing some real polish.  I believe BioWare will consistently make quality-of-life improvements and if they do and if the game remains reasonably stable (consoles have it much, much better already), I'll stick with it.  I'm curious enough about Anthem that I want to know if this game will actually live up to its potential.  In two month's time, this game might actually be amazing.  It's possible.  Very possible, actually.  But the PC community was hit hard.  BioWare needs to do something special just for them, I think.  Because they're owed.

The bottom line: transparency.  Chad Robertson will have to update the BioWare blog a day or two after the launch and the big patch.  Hopefully, he's already working on it.  What I feel the community wants to see isn't too complicated:  it's basically a list of the quality-of-life improvements that are being worked on, like in order of importance and of course bug fixes.  As well as some sort of schedule for the next few patches (even very rough estimates of this, doesn't matter, just *best educated guesses* when this stuff will role out).  We need to be thanked for our patience, of course, and because of how many problems the game has had with function/gameplay etc., etc., there needs to be such a list that Chad updates on a weekly basis.  I'm sorry, but that's unavoidable considering where we now are--the Day One Patch has to fix stability but the game needs so much love, right now, from the developer to get it to where it needs to be.  If we see something like this, this list, and weekly updates from Chad as well as additional information about adding new ways to grind for higher quality loot, well, things  might  still  be  okay.

Transparency is all that can carry Anthem through the next six months.  Loyal fans will stick around and once enough content is added the word will spread and the community will slowly grow and build back up.  It's going to be a climb, nothing can change that but it's very doable since Anthem has so many things going for it.  If you build (upon) it.  They will come.  It is inevitable just as long as the quality that we've come to expect from BioWare is there.  And just as importantly, the communication, also--and this, I believe, is the real  test for BioWare, how well they keep us informed as to their progress in these matters.  Anthem is worth loving.  But she's in a lot of pain.  Support and patience will surely reward everyone with one of the best gaming experiences of all time. 

Thank you, BioWare, for all the work you're doing.   Heart

Message 1 of 14 (247 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: ░REPREHEN$IBLE░ An A N T H E M Story

★★★★ Guide

@bulletw1st and all, this is why the AFL-CIO is trying to rally Game Developer Employees to begin thinking about Unionizing.  The employees who make the games (programmers, artists, sound-engineers, etc.) get paid Far Less than the upper management, who boast of getting $millions bonus payments.

It is unfortunate that it has reached this threshold.  And games in general will suffer more because of it...but Publishers/Developers' Management can't believe it will happen....too busy buying/building their next McMansion. =*(

TQQdles™

View in thread

Message 8 of 14 (120 Views)

All Replies
Highlighted

Re: AN A N T H E M STORY | by bulletw1st

★★★★★ Apprentice

Damn Bullet that's awesome.

Well said !

Message 2 of 14 (236 Views)

★★★★ Guide
I’ve honestly been very happy with BioWare. They are working hard, they are listening to the playerbase and have been pretty vocal and engaging. They are on the right track with the game. They just need to keep it up making the player experince smoother.

The biggest thing imo is they need to pump out more content like strongholds like it’s no ones business. The game as far as end game goes is critically lacking content. 3 strongholds is not near enough. They need to be on the level of putting out 5 or 6 more strongholds within this year and opening up a new biome for freeplay. Or I will seriously worry for this game. There is not near enough to hold players and I think they are putting too many of thier eggs in the basket of cataclysms.
Message 3 of 14 (231 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I see what u did there! High five

Message 4 of 14 (204 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@Shaddoll23 wrote:
I’ve honestly been very happy with BioWare. They are working hard, they are listening to the playerbase and have been pretty vocal and engaging. They are on the right track with the game. They just need to keep it up making the player experince smoother.

The biggest thing imo is they need to pump out more content like strongholds like it’s no ones business. The game as far as end game goes is critically lacking content. 3 strongholds is not near enough. They need to be on the level of putting out 5 or 6 more strongholds within this year and opening up a new biome for freeplay. Or I will seriously worry for this game. There is not near enough to hold players and I think they are putting too many of thier eggs in the basket of cataclysms.

Yes, additional content is going to be essential. Otherwise it will just be a less-well developed Destiny... roam around and do the same thing over and over...

Hopefully they can keep content rolling out!

Message 5 of 14 (187 Views)

★ Apprentice

I feel for PC.  PS4 launch is gonna be buttery smooth.

Message 6 of 14 (174 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Patch notes are out and they look pretty bullet proof to me.  Doing a stream tomorrow to talk about the patch, too.  Can't ask for much more than that I guess.

Message 7 of 14 (143 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@bulletw1st and all, this is why the AFL-CIO is trying to rally Game Developer Employees to begin thinking about Unionizing.  The employees who make the games (programmers, artists, sound-engineers, etc.) get paid Far Less than the upper management, who boast of getting $millions bonus payments.

It is unfortunate that it has reached this threshold.  And games in general will suffer more because of it...but Publishers/Developers' Management can't believe it will happen....too busy buying/building their next McMansion. =*(

TQQdles™

Message 8 of 14 (121 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

I don't believe they overreached at all. I have been a part of many game launches and this one has been reasonably smooth in comparison. Frankly people getting angry over technical hitches and bugs haven't experienced much of real life in my opinion. I think people that vent their anger in forums and the like only do so because there is no accountability, no repercussions. They might believe they are entitled to be angry, they are not, their anger and frustration changes nothing and never will.

Message 9 of 14 (112 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@Haruchai01 wrote:

I don't believe they overreached at all. I have been a part of many game launches and this one has been reasonably smooth in comparison. Frankly people getting angry over technical hitches and bugs haven't experienced much of real life in my opinion. I think people that vent their anger in forums and the like only do so because there is no accountability, no repercussions. They might believe they are entitled to be angry, they are not, their anger and frustrations changes nothing and never will.

Seriously. This post is overwrought nonsense.

Message 10 of 14 (106 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help