Re: Question of the week: First game that got you hooked?

by mathematics654

Original Post

Question of the week: First game that got you hooked?

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

Hi all,

As gamers we've played countless of games over the years. But looking back at when we first started our gaming journey, what was the first big game that got you absolutely hooked? And what was it about this game that made it so special?

Looking forward to hearing your stories!

Message 1 of 18 (590 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

The Sims 2, after playing the old Facebook version I wanted the real thing, since then I got The Sims 3 and 4 and get to know Origin and EA games, and got familiar with many other games from all genres, such as Battlefield, Dragon Age, FIFA, Need for Speed... so basicly from one Facebook game I got to know many other games and my fav game company and become a gamer, so if this is not butterfly effect, I don't know what is

Message 2 of 18 (567 Views)

★ Pro

First game that really hooked?

Propably Last Ninja 3 way way back early 90's (on a C64 no less). Still amazed by the SID soundtrack by Ouwehand.

http://www.system3.com/games/last-ninja-3/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-9CkWYzzNw

Message 3 of 18 (561 Views)

I can't really say. The amount of games i've played and replayed in the second half of the eighties and the nineties is insane. And mind you, when i say replay, think 5-10 playthroughs for the titles that i loved.

The original Sims amounted probably to many, many hours (in terms of thousands), but so did games like Civilization 1-4, Master of Orion 1/2, Heroes of M&M, the M&M RPG's and so on. Wish i could actually remember which game got me hooked, but i probably forgot about more games than many people played. Thank god for GOG, as they do remind me of some of the titles i've played.

If i would be to pick one: Phantasy Star on Master System. Loved the old series, with only the Shinning series rivaling. Sadly, a lot of titles didn't make it on the western market. But seeing the latest porting trend, i wouldn't be suprised to see those coming on PC at some point, especially with Sega announcement that they want to port more of their old console catalogue on PC (finger crossed, as that means there is hope for Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3 to come on PC). 

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 4 of 18 (560 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@Straatford87

That's a really hard one to answer. I remember watching my cousins play The Jungle Book on a system (can't remember which). Then we had a PC where we used to bring rented games and play.The ones that got me hooked was Total Overdose for PC. The big open world, great soundtrack and story, plus the fact that it was the first open world game I played on a PC while on a vacation made it special for me.

Then on a trip, I saw God of War on PS2 and spent a lot of time playing it. Since then, I can't remember how many games I have played on playstation and PC. I really wish they brought Total Overdose back, though with the amount of open world games we have now and with games like GTA completely ruling the market, it may be hard for it to get noticed.

Message 5 of 18 (537 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Hello everyone! 

A tough question indeed. My answer is Prince of Persia. Was playing it on my fancy 286 PC all the way back in 1991, or was it 1992? Anyway, this game just blew my mind! A realistic graphics, perfect score and never-before-seen gameplay. An instant classic, to be sure. 

Archi.png
Message 6 of 18 (530 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Way back, I convinced my gran that purchasing a "computer" would be educational.  That "computer" was a ZX Spectrum, with a whopping 48k of memory. 

There was not much programming involved, the odd program copied from library books, which failed miserably.  

The games that I enjoyed were Chuckie Egg and Horrace goes Skiing.  Chuckie Egg was a platformer type game collecting items within a time frame and Horrace goes Skiing was similar to Frogger.    

There was also a racing game, which I forget the name,  that my friend had.  It was pretty cool zip zapping round silverstone at (ahem) 100mph..  I wasn't any good, but it was fun to compete with friend..

*cough* yeah, and my friend wouldn't lend me her copy, so that I could get better.*coughs* 

Message 7 of 18 (519 Views)

★★★ Pro

Think there are various severity to gaming addiction lol...  Was hooked on many many games throughout the years, Baldurs gate, planescape, Ultima, wizardry, pacman, space invaders, leisure suit larry lololol....  

The most intense, however, was the Mass Effect Trilogy...  If I played anymore of that I may need to see a psychiatrist.  

Message 8 of 18 (507 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

@VladVonCastein 

Mass Effect can have this effect on people Standard smile 

Speaking of RPG, which hooked me, it was Eye Of The Beholder. Spend days drawing mazes and fighting monsters. It was my ticket to the vast table-top RPG universe.  

Archi.png
Message 9 of 18 (499 Views)

★★★ Pro

@EA_Archi wrote:

@VladVonCastein 

Mass Effect can have this effect on people Standard smile 

Speaking of RPG, which hooked me, it was Eye Of The Beholder. Spend days drawing mazes and fighting monsters. It was my ticket to the vast table-top RPG universe.  

Oh yes!!!  How can I forget Eye of the beholder lol...  Think I played that on one of the old green screen monitors...

Message 10 of 18 (492 Views)