Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Question for the PC players

by Spiritual-Zombie

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Question for the PC players

★★★ Guide

Just curious - the last time I played on PC was Halo and FEAR lol, so my experience is somewhat dated.

I see some players discussing the rigs they're running and how some are having issues with Anthem.

Indulge an old man - what is the average cost for what you run for high-end gaming?  I'm curious.

Also, are you satisfied with the quality of games available to you vs what you spent on your PC?

Do you strictly use it for gaming?  Business?

I'm genuinely interested.  I'm basically Homer Simpson for a living, so I use around 7 different high-end machines to keep the hydro on.

Thank-you.

Message 1 of 11 (296 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Depends on what time frame you are good with for upgrading or replacing. You can get a nice machine that will run most games at near max settings for around 1-1.5k that should be good for 2-3 years before needing to be upgraded or replaced to keep up with changing tech. Personally I begin saving from the time I purchase a new PC so that I'm not hit trying to come up with the costs for replacement/upgrades.

I tend to spend 2-2.5k for top of the line machines and only really need to replace about every 5-6yrs. Keep costs lower and allow for higher end graphics/processors by not getting tricked into getting a huge SSD plus a massive secondary drive, I keep seeing 'high' end gaming boxes pushing well over 1T secondary's but unless you are working with high-end media you are going to be hard pressed to fill a single Terabyte drive, they are just that massive. Strip the things that you're not going to truly need or use and upgrade memory, graphics card, processor and the like.

I use my machine strictly for gaming, as for quality of gaming I've owned all platforms from WII, PS and X-box. I only currently play PC as I prefer the ability to have that deeper control I get from keyboard/mouse as opposed to, as I feel, the limited functionality of a game pad. With a keyboard and something akin to the Razor Naga that allows for 12 side buttons I feel gamepad's leave me wanting more...

View in thread

Message 2 of 11 (267 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Depends on what time frame you are good with for upgrading or replacing. You can get a nice machine that will run most games at near max settings for around 1-1.5k that should be good for 2-3 years before needing to be upgraded or replaced to keep up with changing tech. Personally I begin saving from the time I purchase a new PC so that I'm not hit trying to come up with the costs for replacement/upgrades.

I tend to spend 2-2.5k for top of the line machines and only really need to replace about every 5-6yrs. Keep costs lower and allow for higher end graphics/processors by not getting tricked into getting a huge SSD plus a massive secondary drive, I keep seeing 'high' end gaming boxes pushing well over 1T secondary's but unless you are working with high-end media you are going to be hard pressed to fill a single Terabyte drive, they are just that massive. Strip the things that you're not going to truly need or use and upgrade memory, graphics card, processor and the like.

I use my machine strictly for gaming, as for quality of gaming I've owned all platforms from WII, PS and X-box. I only currently play PC as I prefer the ability to have that deeper control I get from keyboard/mouse as opposed to, as I feel, the limited functionality of a game pad. With a keyboard and something akin to the Razor Naga that allows for 12 side buttons I feel gamepad's leave me wanting more...

Message 2 of 11 (268 Views)

★★★ Guide

You know, $2500 is not that bad at all.  

What about a screen?  What size do you run?  

Message 3 of 11 (236 Views)

★★★ Guide

27inch, not much need for larger IMO given how close you sit to a PC monitor.

Message 4 of 11 (210 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
Often times you can upgrade your existing hardware for well under the price of a new pc.

Update your RAM, and graphics card should be under $300 if you shop around and buy top of the line.

If your buying a pc you should find out what motherboard is inside and read on that. The motherboard is really what will limit you. Going to want plenty of ram and expansion slots abd a good gpu.

80% of whats inside a computer can be replaced for better with very inexpensive parts.

That $2000 computer ypu bought probably only has $1000 worth of hardware inside and probably didnt include the monitor...

Pre build computers are like car mechanics. They take advantage of people who dont really know whats ubder the hood.
Message 5 of 11 (200 Views)

★★ Guide

For those who like to squeeze dollars.... For about $800-$1200 you can have a beautiful Anthem experience on PC.

Here's a quick breakdown of a solid budget-minded system that would run this game (and then some) beautifully.

~$480  cpu + motherboard + 16GB memory

~$50    case

~$50    550w power supply

~$175   graphics card

~$220   27"-32" 2560x1440 monitor

~$100   keyboard+mouse+ xbox gamepad

~$120   1TB SSD

------------------------------------------------------------------

~$1195

You could easily go up from here if you wanted a better graphics card or more memory... So many options... but could also go $200-300 less with a more budget friendly CPU, cheaper monitor, or maybe a 500gb SSD. 

I find that when I'm helping friends put together a system they're told they need like $2000, but that's just not the case for most people. Especially people coming from a console with modest-yet-awesome hopes and expectations. A few years back I helped my brother put together a system for $800. He was thoroughly amazed by the performance.

Message 6 of 11 (173 Views)

★★★ Guide

@Spiritual-Zombie wrote:

For those who like to squeeze dollars.... For about $800-$1200 you can have a beautiful Anthem experience on PC.

Here's a quick breakdown of a solid budget-minded system that would run this game (and then some) beautifully.

~$50    case

~$175   graphics card

~$120   1TB SSD

~$1195

You could easily go up from here if you wanted a better graphics card or more memory... So many options... but could also go $200-300 less with a more budget friendly CPU, cheaper monitor, or maybe a 500gb SSD. 

I find that when I'm helping friends put together a system they're told they need like $2000, but that's just not the case for most people. Especially people coming from a console with modest-yet-awesome hopes and expectations. A few years back I helped my brother put together a system for $800. He was thoroughly amazed by the performance.

Agreed, I always respond as I did when someone asks because most of the time if they know how to build a machine or know someone who does they most likely aren't going to be asking. It's always cheaper if you put in the work to build and are tech enough to not want a warranty.

Message 7 of 11 (167 Views)

★★★ Guide

@gortessoth wrote:

@Spiritual-Zombie wrote:

~$50    case

~$175   graphics card

~$120   1TB SSD

~$1195

Agreed, I always respond as I did when someone asks because most of the time if they know how to build a machine or know someone who does they most likely aren't going to be asking. It's always cheaper if you put in the work to build and are tech enough to not want a warranty.

and hate to add but your also gonna need to add in software for the tune of around 2-300 or so

Message 8 of 11 (149 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Guide

Yeah all good points. Windows 10 Home $140... It's that first splash into PC that costs the most. After that... if you start off with a decent upgradeable build, you can get away with some minor or major upgrades after few years for $200-$300.... 

That $800 build I did for my brother surprised me that it even cost that much. I was so used to having at least a few parts that didn't need upgrading, but he needed to buy every single part, including mouse and keyboard. I tried to give him mine, but he had already fallen in love with a RGB mechanical keyboard. It pulls you in. 

Message 9 of 11 (141 Views)

★★★ Guide

Started building my own in 1987 but stopped in 2005. Got tired of building at work and home so...just wasn't fun anymore.

Message 10 of 11 (128 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help