Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Question about what happens when Anthem shuts down.

by SofaJockeyUK

Original Post

★★ Apprentice

The real problem with this game is EA hasn't really listened to the fan base properly. One of the main issues was loot drops and inscriptions and it took WAY too long for them to react to this.

Another problem was communication, now I understand that devs HATE talking to a toxic community filled with hate and complaints. This is why community managers are hired. To be the middle people and since EA has copious amounts of these people I'm disappointed that regular communication wasn't established from the get go.

These people need to actively engage with every post that rises and have a system in place to highlight these responses. In these cases NO news ISN'T good news. Lack of communication creates Chinese whispers, paranoia, fake news, misrepresentation and miscommunication and juist generally resort to people quitting the game becuase there is always something just around the corner being release (Division 2)

Another was not factoring the damage social media can do to a bad launch. This game really needed to stay in BETA a hell of allot longer rather than a few weeks, we are talking months, months of testing, feedback, patches, more testing, more feedback until it is a polished product with scope to improve upon, but like always EA is always about the dollar sign, grab their money and once we have it it doesn't really matter if we fix it or not. Problem with that is that future gamers will now be apprehensive with buying from EA at launch, stunting future revenue. Its not a sound business strategy.

When the game was launched is was more like a dirty coin than a polished trophy. Riddled with bugs, slow to react and absent communication gave critics an open net in the reviews. Bad news travels fast like a virus on the net and before you know it EA's name is mud, people even complain just be trolls, retweeting stuff and they haven't even played the game.

All in all with new DLC on hold with no sign or word when or IF it will be ever released, the game doesn't have a bright future. Players are dropping off like flies, over half the play base has gone, never to return in all intention purposes and the reviews will hinder new blood coming to the game especially with its STILL hefty AAA price tag.

I say EA either cuts its losses and quits, heavily discount the game or live up to its responsibilities as a supposedly world leading game company and actually LISTEN to its play base, knuckle;e down and fix the wrongs to save what little reputation they have left. 

Message 11 of 23 (300 Views)

★★★★ Guide

In regards to what SofaJuckeyUK said, those are all single player games with a multiplayer mode. ME3 and DA:I were well received well and good games. ME:A was not received well and was abandoned within the year while the multiplayer component is still active, wonky but active.

This is a multiplayer co-op game with a single-player mode. Big difference. If the multiplayer part fails, the game fails. The game has been out for 10 weeks now, after two weeks the single-player mode is done and all you are left with is the broken, repetitive, unrewarding primary mode. 

Message 12 of 23 (300 Views)

@MaireDevylin wrote:

In regards to what SofaJuckeyUK said, those are all single player games with a multiplayer mode. ME3 and DA:I were well received well and good games. ME:A was not received well and was abandoned within the year while the multiplayer component is still active, wonky but active.

This is a multiplayer co-op game with a single-player mode. Big difference. If the multiplayer part fails, the game fails. The game has been out for 10 weeks now, after two weeks the single-player mode is done and all you are left with is the broken, repetitive, unrewarding primary mode. 

That's a fair perspective. I was more addressing the point the OP made about the game 'shutting down' in a few months.

Even if the game is deemed unworthy of additional resources, I could see the game being left 'on' for people to play 'as is' much as Mass Effect multiplayer has been without any additional support, for many years.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't work for EA, but I adore BioWare's Mass Effect, Dragon Age & Anthem.
I can be found here on EA Answers HQ and on BSN forums: http://bsn.boards.net
Message 13 of 23 (291 Views)

★★★ Guide
When Anthem shuts down you won't be able to play it any more just like all games as a service.

Why would they offer refunds?
Message 14 of 23 (288 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@SofaJockeyUK wrote:

@Geibla wrote:

this guy xD

really hats off to you man! u keep on defending this sunken ship even when its already 200meters under water Wink 

I'm just sharing my perspectives which are hardly unique. What's the problem with that?

You can put a different opinion of course by sharing yours, but why is it right to laugh at mine?

i actually wasnt critizing ur opinion. u can like the game asmuch as u want. i honestly admire your positive spirit and the energy you invest in all those posts on the forum.

i used to love anthem aswell and now im just frustrated by the state the game is in... nothing toxic about that. if it came across toxic or sarcastic, then thats just my nature of expressing myself Wink

Message 15 of 23 (261 Views)

@Geibla wrote:

i actually wasnt critizing ur opinion. u can like the game asmuch as u want. i honestly admire your positive spirit and the energy you invest in all those posts on the forum.

i used to love anthem aswell and now im just frustrated by the state the game is in... nothing toxic about that. if it came across toxic or sarcastic, then thats just my nature of expressing myself Wink

That's cool, and thanks for taking the time to make the point.

I'm certainly not unaware of the game's faults, particularly at launch. It's also now crying out for more content.

I just don't think it's the pile of (whatever, I can't type it here anyway) that some people make out. Standard smile

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 16 of 23 (251 Views)

★★ Guide

Most of these gaming channels are skewed toward getting as many clicks and subscriptions as they can (click-bait).  They rarely offer meaningful discussion, but instead parrot whatever the trend of the community is because people like to watch things that confirm their own bias and thus more people will watch those types of videos.  I enjoy watching a lot of them, but one must continue to guard their critical thinking.

I think it is much too early to call this game dead or dying, or to talk about it shutting down.  It has an audience, people are spending money on microtrasactions, it was one of the top selling games at one point so it's made money just in up front sales.  The reason I'm bring up sales is because that will be a determining factor as to how long EA will give Bioware to fix this.

Calling this game dead or dying is foolish, there are too many examples of live service games that shipped in horrendous condition but turned around to become excellent games that are well loved by the game community today.

Message 17 of 23 (238 Views)

★★★★ Novice

3 Hours 2 strongholds, 20 deaths, all leave, PURPLES ALL THE WAY, Me needs no legendary!

Message 18 of 23 (231 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Forgot to say, before easter NO LEGENDARY FOR MEEE!!! X))))))

Message 19 of 23 (223 Views)
Highlighted

Usually pick up 3 legendaries per week. I'm in no hurry.

Message 20 of 23 (207 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help