Re: QOL Concept: Scrap

by DoYaSeeMe

Original Post

QOL Concept: Scrap

Champion

Scrap cosmetics you don't want to get crafting metals. With rarity effecting the exchange rate. E.g white/common cosmetics = 5 crafting metals. The increments could even be as little as 5 metals each rarity.

This idea stems from playing gears of War 4 a few years ago but I don't see why we couldn't have something similar in Apex.

When playing Gears it really helped you to save up for the skin that you wanted to craft and let you get rid of anything you didn't like and/or want (on a side note in Gears you can get multiples i.e you can get cosmetics you already own).

Like aren't you tired of getting the same poor skins for guns/legends you don't use? Why not recycle them and put it towards skins you actually want.

It could even potentially benefit EA/Respawn as the loot pool for packages would increase so your chances of getting decent gear would be the same/ lower so players would buy more?

Thoughts?

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 1 of 8 (433 Views)

@GH0STEDbyME The exchange rate would have to be extremely low or people would stop purchasing premium content/skins. If it takes 1200 crafting material to produce 1 legendary, the exchange rate would have to be below 600 crafting material. If the exchange rate was exact, what would be the point to purchasing new content? You could just scrap the old content you have and get what you want in that specific moment.

I don't mind the current system as it is. I would rather see them abandon the bundles in the shop. Just go back to individual items and allow us to use crafting materials on them, including event items. Crafting materials are extremely expensive to pile up as it is. Yeah some people have a ton of crafting materials, but they spent a ton of money in the game as it is.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 8 (426 Views)

Champion
@DarthValtrex I know it would. I just hate repeatedly getting crap I don't use and having no crafting materials to get what I actually want. Like I understand that it's based on rarity but all skins costing the same baffles me. Why is it the same amount for a gun charm/skin than it is a legend skin (but that's another issue entirely).

Even if you got like 200-300 back it would be generous as hell. That's true you could scrap everything for the new stuff but then you'd have none of your old stuff and let's face it. New skins are usually stuck behind a paywall and bundled.

Again the decision to bundle stuff baffles me because I don't see the logic behind the decision. Surely the sales vs sales for individual skins is a lot lower? Players are going to be more willing to pay smaller amounts compared to larger sums, so the increased sales would exceed what you'd get from a smaller amount of customers buying more expensive items?

It would be a great decision to let us use crafting materials for all items. It's not like getting what 1200/1400 crafting materials is easy. People are still going to buy them with Apex coins because they don't wanna save up and wait. I play Apex everyday (on and off since season 0, nearly lvl 500) and I haven't got that many legendary skins and I've purchased three event skins.

Message 3 of 8 (399 Views)

★★★ Expert
@GH0STEDbyME Not a good idea for the health of the game. The cosmetics we have resemble the drop chance, so we can say that 90-95% of what we own is scrapable stuff. Introducing the option to exchange or sell would be followed by a massive drop in revenue, unless the sell price would be very low, to make up for the large quantity of scrap most of us possess at this point. This would of course trigger hateful reactions in the community, many would call them greedy based on the big difference between buy and sell prices. Another hate wave would come from players selling skins only to get them again in the next packs and also from those selling skins "by mistake" and not getting their action reverted by game support.
Message 4 of 8 (392 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@GH0STEDbyME High expectations from a game with gambling features :/

I also don't want this system, I have never spent money on Apex packs and don't want compensation in any way. But I understand the people who have spent lots of money on 'gambling packs' and got crap from theirs.
Message 5 of 8 (386 Views)

[ Edited ]

@GH0STEDbyMETrue suppose, I think it depends on how many packs you've opened. If you've opened a couple hundred packs (more than 500) and save the crafting materials, you'll have a ton of it. I have about 22,000 crafting materials and have opened around 1100-1200 packs. I did have around 32-35k crafting materials at one point, but I used about 8000-12k to help lower the cost of Caustics heirloom.

Now when I open packs nearly every item I get is crafting materials. I actually won't buy packs anymore because of it. If you get a duplicate legendary skin you only get 600 crafting material, which is only half of what you need to get a legendary skin of some sort. It effectively doubles the cost of getting 1 legendary item.

The crafting materials do cost more for rarer items. The event items that can be crafted are substantially more crafting materials. This winter event items you can't even craft which I some what understand, but also don't agreee with. If you have tens of thousands of crafting material, you've already spent $1000+ in game. 

Plus if you want specific items, just buy them instead of the packs. I do think buying individual skins should provide some type of progress towards the Heirloom guarantee, or overall in game spending. If you've spent $500 or opened 500 packs you get a heirloom. I think that would be a huge positive for everyone. People who like packs can still buy packs, people who just want to buy individual items they can, can still do so and still make progress towards an heirloom.

If you do open 500 packs, I think overall you'll be happy with what you get. You'll get some stuff you like and want, you'll get some stuff you don't. But overall it balances out. 

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 6 of 8 (384 Views)

Hero

Not the greatest idea imo in terms of revenue for the company. Those skins that everyone hates buying and such. Well this is what pays the employees. You cutting into their pay checks allow trade in systems. There is no monthly subs or nothing to generate their pay checks this is their pay checks. 

Message 7 of 8 (380 Views)

Champion

@DoYaSeeMe The drop chance is crap with how many cosmetics there are unless you already have practically everything xD Obviously, they could limit what would be craftable and what isn't. Yeah, the selling price would have to be low like you said but at least you'd have the option of getting rid of crap. Look at it when you get a potato legendary like for the Mozambique or something. Of course, there would be hateful reactions. There always is to some degree but unfortunately, you can't please everyone. They could say that but at least there would something in place. Very true, you could get the same stuff back in packs but that's kinda the same risk with the crap probability that we have atm. People are always doing dumb stuff that makes them get into contact with game support.

@BaldWraithSimp Very true. I just want it to be less money-grabbing and more player-focused which is a very big ask against the EA business model :P I should've added that I'm sure you got scrap from playing games or completed daily challenges (I can't remember the exact details as I haven't played the games in years). I guess it's more like being able to use legend tokens to craft skins.

@DarthValtrex The amount of crafting materials you have is ridiculous xD but I guess that happens when you've got practically everything unlocked. The crafting costs for collection events always wipe me out. I think I've got less than 1,000 at this point. I crafted the suit/ agent looking crypto skin. You're right buying individual skins should progress towards the heirloom guarantee. I'd have to check how many packs I'd open to be able to comment on the balance.

@E9ine_AC It could impact sales but I can't see it having much of a difference to casual players as they wouldn't be able to generate enough crafting materials on a regular enough occurrence. So I think they'd still buy packs. As for employees' pay well we can't really comment on that because we don't know the details.

Message 8 of 8 (314 Views)