Re: Purpose of Speed Bikes?

by Sati_Sati

Original Post

Purpose of Speed Bikes?

★★★★ Novice

I want to know the purpose of having speek bikes in this game. Because it's obviously not for killing anyone, not for running over anyone, not for even driving to somewhere steady straight.

In Battlefront 1 these were the purpose of the speed bike but in BF 2 it's clearly not. I think I don't need to explain the reasons right?

So, why are they even in game at the first place?

Message 1 of 5 (553 Views)

Champion

@MissSnowiie 

Hello there!

Speeder Bike is cool, isn't it? 

Spoiler
They were really good against the Hero unit.
Yes, they were severely nerfed but still some of them are good.

Also you can go around the enemy and attack them from their back.
For example, it is effective in Geonosis (STAP!!).
Message 2 of 5 (542 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@Sati_Sati Cool? Well surely everyone can have their own opinions but from my perspective they seem like quite the opposite.

I'm not sure about the nerf as I didn't play the game at it's first times thanks to how EA turned it to open crate rubble not to mention all the struggles I wen't through even with the current state of the game until I can max out battle cards. It's especially noticeable with Starfighters, trying to "survive" against an Interceptor that has fully upgraded Tuned Lasers and Elite Pilot while you only have them in grey or green ..

Anywho. I don't know how the nerf was made. Was it against their speed? armor? damage? These I can be fine with. but if their aiming system was same as how they were in Battlefront 1 and they added heavily drunk driver's wobbling effect to it's aiming with that nerf, then there is no way I would have been ok with this.

It's a bit unlikely to be able to go around the enemy in a vastly open map such as Geonosis while walkers shooting everything they got at you, but by luck if I was to succeed in that, I am definetly sure I wouldn't be able to attack them. Simply it's impossible to aim properly. While the fact that I have to move my mouse from the middle of my table to the edge of it just to turn it a bit left or right isn't enough (same for up and down as well), the bike itself also shaking like there is category 5 tornado 500 feet away from it :3

As an example, if you have played the coop a bit, you know how perfect aimbot the enemy AI is and how "dumb" your AI team mates are. Like 6 of them can't kill 1 enemy AI .. Well while I was playing with Speeder Bike, I witnessed countless of times my team mate AIs finished the killing until I can land a few more shots :3

The only thing they can actually attack in my opinion is tanks, simply because they are too big and it's nearly impossible to miss them. but, a STAP against a TX-130 would be like an X-Wing against a Stardestroyer Standard smile
Message 3 of 5 (515 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

@MissSnowiieYou're right, the speeder bikes are a waste of battle points. At least the Clone Wars era ones, but I didn't really get to play the others. They received a nerf because they were once way too powerful against everyone, but let me explain:

They have been nerfed to the ground so that the barrage ability (the main gun too?) only does laughable damage now and, more importantly, they completely screwed up the aiming behaviour as you have experienced already, which doesn't help to deal with the damage nerf too.

Before the nerf, the speeder HUD was wobbling around like crazy, but at least you could land your shots properly. It also appeared like they had some homing effect.

Now the HUD is stable, so the crosshair no longer wobbles around, but at the same time it's near impossible to aim anywhere  else than the center.

Try to aim at a soldier near you, it's almost an impossible task without maybe switching your mouse dps up in that moment. That really wasn't a problem before the nerf, even as it looked really weird. Also, your aim has to be absolutely on point now if you want to get anything done.

Just use the Droideka or Republic battle walker for getting from A to B fast, killing camping snipers and destroying tanks. The speeder bike won't get this job done anymore.

TL;DR: The speeder bikes went from godly overpowered to completely useless. Good job EA.

No one uses these anymore; I still haven't been encountering a tryhard yet who has mastered the CW era speeder despite the nerf. This fact alone says a lot imo.

Message 4 of 5 (505 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@TRlALON You are so right. I wouldn't like to getting killed just by 2 shots from it either so the damage nerf I can be fine to some extend. Although the barrage nerf shouldn't happen since it's obviously a barrage strike. It would be ok to decrease it's active time or increase the cooldown but lowering the damage is very illogical.

and really they are absolutely useless, the fast walkers would be a lot lot better to choose even for just fast traveling purposes. The only was I was able to move the aim I was maxed the vehicle sensitivity but then of course being able to properly aim to a moving troop is nearly impossible. Played a few hours with it thinking maybe I can get used to but it's truly just impossible, I couldn't get more than 10 kills with them give or take and more than half of those troops were actually killed by my AI team mates.
Message 5 of 5 (471 Views)