Punish players for multiple disconnects

by BirdHeezy

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Punish players for multiple disconnects

★★ Novice

It’s insanly frustrating when you’re winning, and the other player seems to disconnect by magic (quite frequently) instead of conceding. The loser force closes the game, then opens it right back up to play another round. While the person winning has to wait for the game to realize what happens, then gives you the win. Either give an extra star to the winner, or punish the sore losers. It stinks to concede a game, but that’s why that option is there, to move things along. 

Leaving a game game early is just a sore loser “sticking it” to someone who’s better. It’s pathetic. 

But what about if someone actually does lose a connections?... yeah, how often does that happen? Maybe build in a buffer, after the 3rd mysterious disconnect, warn them. On your next disconnect, you’ll be bumped down to the next level that’s a multiple of 5. So if your level 38, you’d drop to 35. If you’re 35, drop to 30. 

I dunno. I’ve just had it with these pathetic peop,e that can’t lose. I lose plenty but I’m not a * about it. 

Message 1 of 13 (2,331 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Punish players for multiple disconnects

★★ Guide

The only thing worse than people who disconnect instead of conceding are those who befriend a person who disconnected only to tell them that they are **** for having disconnected instead of properly losing.

You know, punishing people like that would have pretty bad consequences given that this is a mobile game. People can get phone calls or have to handle other things in real life and not have time to click on the concede thing. They can also actually have bad internet connections and just disconnect without being able to do anything about it.

Also, I don't know why you assume that they are planning to play another game. You should time it. It usually takes longer to reload the game than the amount of time out. It certainly takes much longer to reload the game than to just concede, then start another match so the usual action is to shut off their device in rage and do something else. To me, thinking that they rage quit is usually enough satisfaction to make up for the few seconds lost waiting for the game to finish.

View in thread

Message 2 of 13 (2,271 Views)

All Replies

★★ Guide

The only thing worse than people who disconnect instead of conceding are those who befriend a person who disconnected only to tell them that they are **** for having disconnected instead of properly losing.

You know, punishing people like that would have pretty bad consequences given that this is a mobile game. People can get phone calls or have to handle other things in real life and not have time to click on the concede thing. They can also actually have bad internet connections and just disconnect without being able to do anything about it.

Also, I don't know why you assume that they are planning to play another game. You should time it. It usually takes longer to reload the game than the amount of time out. It certainly takes much longer to reload the game than to just concede, then start another match so the usual action is to shut off their device in rage and do something else. To me, thinking that they rage quit is usually enough satisfaction to make up for the few seconds lost waiting for the game to finish.

Message 2 of 13 (2,272 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

That can be frustrating, but worse is the player that is GUARANTEED a win, but instead of simply clicking the "Fight" button, they continue to play card after to card after card to "show off". Or the opposite: They know they are beat but they continue play cards to show you "well I almost had you." Just win or lose and move on. I try not to concede in case they are trying to get goals like "do x damage". I feel if they beat me, they deserve it. I guess I am just too polite and fair-minded.

Message 3 of 13 (2,246 Views)

★★ Guide

You should take into account that this game has quests based on playing certain cards (play 3 nuts, flowers, grave zombies,etc) so players will often want to play those even if they would win or lose. They could certainly do that against AI, they will often just want to get some ladder wins.

Funny, we think in very different ways and have different preferences, which shows exactly why game devs have a hard time designing successful things that appeal to everyone.

If I'm losing, I will concede as soon as I know I'm losing and will expect others to do the same. I actually find it more respectful for people to concede to me than to have them let me do the "final blow". If I want to do the 20 damage quest quickly I will play against AI but usually I just expect to play a couple of multiplayer games.

Message 4 of 13 (2,231 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Yeah I will concede too unless it is the "final blow". More work to click - Gear - Concede - Confirm than just "Fight" :-)

Message 5 of 13 (2,225 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Concede/Not Concede was not my main point. The EXTRA card players are annoying. Petty on both sides. In poker, we call it "slow rolling"...and it is highly frowned upon.

I wish there was a "speed mode":

1. If you have ZERO Brains to spend, and no zero cost cards, SKIP the Tricks round.
  2. If you are guaranteed to Win if you hit Fight!, disallow playing additional cards. Same with guaranteed loss...just do it.
  3. Give HALF the current time on the countdown per decision time. For each round, as you act, whatever time is left gets rolled over to the next round. That way, the quicker you act, the more you build up in case you really have to "think" during one round. OR ... as has happened to me with Humungus and Rustbolt, you have so many tricks to play you don't run out of time (especially with Going Viral).

I don't think they should change the main game to this, just offer a new "Turbo" mode. I think it would be fun and reward quick thinking. And very quick and easy for the devs to execute.

Thoughts?

Message 6 of 13 (2,221 Views)

★★ Guide

Sounds like a good idea, though I can see a couple of issues that could cause

- Automatically doing something unless you have a specific card, means you can't bluff that you might have that card. This was an issue in other games I've played where they implemented that and had to end up removing it, since bluffing is often a big part of card games.

- I've won many games against opponents who had the win, but played a card that lost them the game. For example, playing a card that causes hitting the block meter at the wrong moment, allowing me to retaliate, prevent the last bit of damage and get my damage through. Those wins, few as they may be, cause very memorable experiences and I would rather keep them in favour of occasionally losing a few seconds because my opponent wants to show me they "still had all theze".

Having a buffer timer is a thing that is implemented in other games and works well. I second that idea. (I doubt there will be any more development on this game though).

Message 7 of 13 (2,214 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I forgot about those "accidental wins". They are VERY rare, but yes, very "tasty". :-)

Did not consider bluffing.

I remember reading one poster say he intentionally runs the clock to the limit EVERY time in the hope he will frustrate the other player into "tilting", or even conceding. Sounds desperate to me.

Still like the idea of some type of speed mode -- like chess.

Message 8 of 13 (2,203 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Here is one I forgot (it just happened to me): After playing VERY quickly all game, when it gets to the end, and they are about to deal a "death blow", they WAIT until the clock ticks ALL the way down before attacking. This time it was a Espresso Fiesta attack.

I don't know how you would make it fair, and I would not want it to effect their actual gameplay or matching, but it would be nice to have some sort of "Sportsmanship" or "Reputation" points that you could reward to / remove from other players when they do * like this. Then you would know the community reputation of the player.

Message 9 of 13 (2,150 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Ha! This board censored out the word C R A P. Too funny.

Message 10 of 13 (2,148 Views)