Profile Based Matchmaking

by Wingmannedbro

Original Post

Profile Based Matchmaking

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

So after another game with 2 looting Larry's who seem to never leave the area they land until everything is looted (they landed swamps) while I crossed to the other side of the map trying to find a sword to fall on so I can die and leave the game. I suddenly got an idea.

I'm sure most of us have experience with being teamed up with people who's playstyle is radically different from yours, and it sucks, since essentially it means you can just leave that game and que again.

What if players can fill out some basic parameters that groups you into a category of players.

For example (aggression) with a 0 to 100 slider you can set to indicate how aggressive you are In general. And able to select your main, and 2 alternative legends you like playing most.

This way, a matchmaking system could use that data to que you up with other high aggression players, who may also main a different legend.

And people who want to go for safe drops, and get decked out can be squadded up with like-minded players.

A system like that would also surely facilitate forming friendships with other players from random squads when you are more likely grouped with others who have the same playstyle.

Please note that account level, kills, attained badges, and other skill-based parameters should NOT be included in this matchmaking system.

Just purely preference for hot-dropping etc.

Thoughts?

[Edit] fixed a spelling error.

Message 1 of 23 (569 Views)

Re: Profile Based Matchmaking

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

- we don't need it Standard smile

find some friends to play with if u wanna have a matchmaking, do it on ur own... it just would't be fair to have something like that in the game
i do match 90% of my games with lowlvl people and i am not complaining about it either

let me add that most of the guys i did met at the game are actually people with some brains, who do listen to ur calls and when u are telling them that they are doing something wrong they try to do better so don't blame other if u don't perform well Tongue out

Message 2 of 23 (546 Views)

★★★ Expert

@TheUnknownMsx wrote:

- we don't need it Standard smile

find some friends to play with if u wanna have a matchmaking, do it on ur own... it just would't be fair to have something like that in the game
i do match 90% of my games with lowlvl people and i am not complaining about it either

let me add that most of the guys i did met at the game are actually people with some brains, who do listen to ur calls and when u are telling them that they are doing something wrong they try to do better so don't blame other if u don't perform well Tongue out

Can you even read?  I explicitly said that player skill should not be factored into the MM process, purely playstyle.

And I definitely have friends to play, it's not reasonable for people to always be online when you play, and also not already in a full squad.

You said

don't blame other if u don't perform well

Where in my post have I laid blame on anyone? My problem here is that I want to que with aggressive players, exactly because I do perform well, and want to be in fights as much as feasibly possible.

You literally didn't even read my post, or you're very bad at processing what you read.

Message 3 of 23 (534 Views)

★★ Expert

what@Wingmannedbro said

queuing up with randoms who have the same style as yourself would be nice. Drop, quick grab, destroy others in your path, level up and continue!

@TheUnknownMsx 

Why would having something like that not be fair?

Start performing better or you're riding pine! lol

Heart

Message 4 of 23 (517 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

If you don't want to adapt to random teammates' playstyles, then don't play with random teammates. It's that simple.

I myself don't mind playing the game alone, so if my teammates want to rush to skulltown with an RE45, I won't cry (and most definitely not rush to join them), I'll just switch to solo mode. If I can recover their banners later, I might (but they rarely stick around anyway).

If I did mind playing the game solo, I would probably join them, die and start a new game, but after 3 games like that, I would find non-random teammates through discord.

Message 5 of 23 (495 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Why would anyone be against this it would reduce people leavening anything that reduces people leaving is good for the game and everyone that plays it

Message 6 of 23 (484 Views)

★★★★ Novice

It's very good idea, but I think EA don't want to do with this anything so we can just do posts on forum thats it.

Message 7 of 23 (476 Views)

Champion (Retired)

I don't think this is a good idea because it could be exploited I believe. I think it could be open to manipulation in some ways.

What I think would be really, really wonderful is if we had a much improved friends system. Battlelog used to be great for friends.

I would say as well that my style of play is not necessarily either aggressive or not. I use aggression in a controlled way. I can play very aggressively but when I choose to. I also like to think deeply about how I play but to also allow my play to emerge over a lot of played time. I like to play with very intelligent and tolerant people from a similar background to my own. But that is very, very, very difficult to do. Gaming these days stops that from happening. There is a wholesale attitude to matchmaking that puts entire regions together. It's much harder to make friends that way. With a poor friends system it's harder still. Factor in thinks like age, language, experience and other factors and unless you are lucky enough to be in the core demographic you will probably struggle to find what you want. It wasn't so bad when we had private servers and clan servers in PC gaming. Then you just picked your clan which was most likely quite local to you. We are absolutely light years from that these days.

Message 8 of 23 (463 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@Wingmannedbro wrote:

So after another game with 2 looting Larry's who seem to never leave the area they land until everything is looted (they landed swamps) while I crossed to the other side of the map trying to find a sword to fall on so I can die and leave the game. I suddenly got an idea.

I'm sure most of us have experience with being teamed up with people who's playstyle is radically different from yours, and it sucks, since essentially it means you can just leave that game and que again.

What if players can fill out some basic parameters that groups you into a category of players.

For example (aggression) with a 0 to 100 slider you can set to indicate how aggressive you are In general. And able to select your main, and 2 alternative legends you like playing most.

This way, a matchmaking system could use that data to que you up with other high aggression players, who may also main a different legend.

And people who want to go for safe drops, and get decked out can be squadded up with like-minded players.

A system like that would also surely facilitate forming friendships with other players from random squads when you are more likely grouped with others who have the same playstyle.

Please note that account level, kills, attained badges, and other skill-based parameters should NOT be included in this matchmaking system.

Just purely preference for hot-dropping etc.

Thoughts?

[Edit] fixed a spelling error.

But I don't have a style. I see what the match brings and what situation arises. I don't play the same way every game. Sometimes I hot drop, other times not.

As @warslag has mentioned, this would also be open to abuse.

I just add people from the games I play because i have observed their style and game play first hand. It's worked out really well for me so far, and also taught me that sometimes,people who believe they are good, are infact far from it.

Message 9 of 23 (447 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@Wingmannedbro 

Reading my comment now a couple of hours later I think I could have phrased it better. I think it could be a good idea as long as it wasn't open to exploitation or abuse.

When you think about how many interactions there are between players on the EA forums alone let alone on Origin and in all of EA's games it is slightly astounding that it can seem to people that they are struggling to meet the right people to enjoy playing games with. I think this is also the reasoning behind your idea. I wonder if trust is the real ingredient that is missing in the way we go making online friends. I'm not sure really what I mean by that but trust is fundamental in friendships so I guess players feel that they aren't getting a good handle on the people they're playing with. There probably needs to be a 3rd party involved in gaming that can verify players and perhaps dedicate itself to building associations which players can belong to and in which they trust so that they can feel secure in reaching out to people. Just kind of running with the theme a bit there. Embarrassed

Message 10 of 23 (442 Views)