Post "Balance" Predictions

by spIash_damage

Original Post

Re: Post "Balance" Predictions

Champion (Retired)

@arit0824   I made the thread for a friendly prediction type of thing.  It’s not for the devs’ data collection.  I think the NC will be nerfed to the point she won’t be used.  I didn’t die from her near as much as any other plant before (excluding maybe Rose) so I only thought her ranged attack and invisibility needed nerfing.  I think taking away her most powerful attack (that was EASY to counter) will need her to the ground/far fewer players will use her.  I did not play as her aside from mastering her and do not like to play any sneaky tactics so I have zero motive here.  

I think Corn will be far inferior to Soldier (especially with Soldiers ROF upgrade coupled with his buff).

I think Oak should have the same channeling/transformation as Space Station and I’m curious to see what happens with Sap.  I think they could be ruining the Sap attack altogether and wish the damage would’ve been reduced before adding a delay timer.  I don’t think this will have much impact on how often the character is played but I think it gives Space Station even more of an advantage when it comes to teamplay.  Inherently, I think we might see an increase in Space Stations using the team feature (in relation to Oak/Acorn).

I applaud All Star’s buffing and think his Imp Kick should have a damage increase.  I think he will (hopefully) he played more and be worthy of tanking like he was intended to tank.

I also just thought the same thing about the quality of feedback versus quantity.  

Sooooo... knowing we don’t hold you to your predictions and it’s all for fun, do you have any predictions about the impact/result of the first balance?

Message 21 of 43 (566 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Let me also take a look at these changes:

Night Cap: I would have nerfed the long range attack and Fung Fu's overall damage. I wouldn't have changed anything else. We don't know the actual reduction for Fung Fu's damage yet, it could be as low as say 10%, or much more. Originally I would have drastically cut Fung Fu, but now I think it shouldn't be cut that much. Note that they made spore strike a little less effective at range, but the damage number is unchanged. They may have over-nerfed her but until I can see how it plays out, I can't say for certain. Stealth characters are both hard to balance and often hated by the community (Skye in Paladins, Spies in TF2, Rogues in WoW, etc.). Chomper, being essentially a stealth character with burrow, has been reviled by many players in GW since day one too. I'm hoping that the devs will ignore the mains and the haters and make her work to an acceptable and fun standard.

Oak: The Super Sap Trap is ludicrous right now. If it lands anywhere near you and you have 125 or less health, you're vanquished before you even see it since it can be instantly detonated. That absolutely needed a change. The channeling looks fine in the change. I have no idea what the eject height change is about, was it a problem? Oak needs a timer as it's extremely easy to run, heal that small amount of health the Acorn has, and then reform into a full health Oak. That being said, Space Cadet/Space Station also need cooldown timers and honestly the station shouldn't regen health as it's a machine like the mech is. The Space Cadet is much better than the Acorn is outside the team forms, so that needs to be taken into account. Even if the Acorn uses the +50 health buff so their health is on par with the cadet, and of course the Acorn is harder to hit, but the Cadet has better weaponry and can double jump. Also note that the station can double jump. I'm pretty happy with the changes but they really needed to also change the Stations if they're changing the Oak. They may very well be, but it's lack of mention means we can't be sure. You can have so much health in the station that it can be devastating, especially when using the Crater Maker while being so hard to take out with 3 shields, and 700+ health.

Corn: I am so glad that Corn is getting buffs, he needs them. I would have also buffed main weapon damage, but we'll see how he plays out.

Foot Soldier: Until the livestream, I had no idea people disliked his RoF, I felt it was fine. I'm more pleased with the change to Rocket Jump as it feels very clunky to use, something mirrored by Deadbeard's anchor ability. I do find it odd they buffed Soldier's but not Corn's damage. Perhaps due to the fact that Husk Hop is still so good (and I haven't had it bug out yet like it does often in GW2), and Shuck Shot is roughly on par with ZPG? I can't say for certain till we see it in action.

All-Star: I feel that Imp Punt is just 'off' right now, it doesn't always seem to damage things properly. Otherwise, for me he feels pretty good right now, but a small buff to his main weapon isn't a bad thing. I love the change to the dummy in this game.

Overall: I can judge better once I see other changes, both of the other classes specifically and the projectile speeds and control issues in general. I like these changes at this time, but without seeing the whole picture it's hard to say how the balance will change. Are they looking at Super Brainz for example? He's really good right now, and with these changes, may be too good (emphasis on may be). Sunflower's attack feels too weak, Engineer is also really good, Rose's attack is not always working well and can miss things it shouldn't, etc.

For a disclaimer, I don't have a 'main', I have 3 characters at super elite (Acorn, Space Cadet, and Captain Deadbeard), the rest are elite. I'll be mastering them all here before too much longer.

Edit: minor changes to oak section.

Message 22 of 43 (555 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@spIash_damage

If I had to pick a favorites, for plants it's between Citron and Corn even though Corn's bad... Also really like Chomper.
And for Zombies probably Super Brains and Engineer, who I'll admit Super Brains needs a nerf and I think Engineer's stun needs a nerf for the duration....lasts too long.

I also play a lot of Imp and a decent amount of solider/Deadbeard but playing solider generally makes me want to blow my brains out.

If you truly want my predictions, I'd say Nightcap's going to be fine but none of us know because the details they gave us aren't numbers. We have no idea how much they are nerfing/buffing any characters, only a vague idea. Unless they completely take Fung Fu's damage and beat it with a hammer, he's probably going to be just fine to play for decent players.

Nightcap should never be designed as the "noob" character for people starting out. Invisible assassins should never be the go-to characters for people learning the game and if they are, there is probably something wrong with balance. But that's my opinion, you are welcome to yours.

P.S.

Also I feel like Corn's currently better than Foot Solider, so I can kinda understand them buffing him a bit more than Corn. I dunno, I feel like I can actually play current Corn meanwhile solider just feels so awful to play but maybe it's not his fault... Zombie teams are always just so bad and only play Deadbeard meanwhile plants actually pick characters that actually play objectives like Oak.

Message 23 of 43 (523 Views)

★★ Guide
@spIash_damage 🤣😂🤣 This thread has turned into a thread about what is wrong with what the devs have said they are going to do.
Message 24 of 43 (507 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@newbebop wrote:
@spIash_damage🤣😂🤣 This thread has turned into a thread about what is wrong with what the devs have said they are going to do.

Three ring circus.  Sooooo many words and so few predictions.

You’d think I was responsible for/invented Fung Fu the way this conversation keeps going there.

Message 25 of 43 (500 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@spIash_damageI mean you did the same thing in your first post, it was mostly about what the devs did wrong rather than predictions so I'm confused why you seem upset with people telling you they disagree

Not trying to be argumentative but you might want to reread what you wrote and understand why people aren't making predictions when you yourself made this thread more of a rant about what the dev's did "wrong"

Message 26 of 43 (487 Views)

Champion (Retired)

How many words have you typed in this thread to debate and how many to predict the outcome of these balances?  

I gave predictions in my first post and yours?  I love opposing views as much as like-minded but it would be nice if predictions came with said views.

I don’t know how else to simplify it. I gave my predictions because I didn’t want to bash the devs for balances I disagreed with but rather speak respectfully and make predictions on the outcome of the balance pass.

I regret mentioning anything about the balance and wish I would’ve only had cold-hard predictions and perhaps that would’ve prevented thread derailing?

Message 27 of 43 (469 Views)

★ Guide
@spIash_damage Well prediction-wise, I agree that there will be less nightcaps as her Fung-Fu, her only damage ability, has been nerfed plus her invisibility. They’ll be less sniping mushrooms, and maybe we’ll see more skilled mushrooms. Mushrooms will still be played for youngsters, because she’s an edgy ninja, but I won’t be surprised if I see more chompers because of his actual insta-kill ability compared to Fung Fu. I love chomper and play him stealthily but they’ll probably be more suicidal chompers in the near-future.

There might be less solo oaks, as you can’t use acorn as a health regeneration. Maybe the class will be more tanky with acorns on top. I never had problems with solo space stations myself. Space station hasn’t really been a problem, until there are 3 or 4 shields, than the plants team are usually wasted. Her crater maker is quite powerful, but avoidable without much to restrain you from running. I would agree on nerfing her shield health with more space cadets on board.

All the corn fans are celebrating, but of course they compare that to soldier. I don’t know the reason why they buffed soldier damage but not corn, but the devs must have a reason, cuz obviously they expected this outcry. Maybe because corn has two explosion abilities? I’m not so sure why.

I’m celebrating over all-star buff, and don’t mind the imp punt not getting buffed with damage, cuz I’m happy they reduced fuse, as I could aim straight for a plant, but it would explode so slow that the plant could easily step away already.

I wish Super Brainz primary of holding his punch for 80 dmg was nerfed, cuz first it’s a primary. Second it does more than a direct critical with Action hero which does 65. I could be running around as mushroom and get sniped, not by a sniper but by super Brainz. Or try to take out super Brainz and get 80 dmg punched in the face.

Does anyone else think the mech is the glass cannon and not the imp? I feel so fragile without much dmg output as imp, with the only huge damage output being the mech every 2 minutes.
Message 28 of 43 (436 Views)

★ Guide
@arit0824 I honestly think Corn is a lot better than solider even though they are buff weak, so i can understand it a little. But again we don't know how much they are buffing/nerfing their numbers, just a vague idea.

But yeah, prediction wise I think Solider and Corn may actually be picked a lot more and maybe zombies won't always lose because teams won't have 2000 Deadbeards. Heres hoping.

The oak sap change has me semi worried for Oak simply because the damage on sap bomb is ridiculous but if it never lands it becomes useless. I'd rather have seen them do a number nerf but aye. We'll see how much it effects oak.

I feel as if All-Star is still going to suck. I don't think his problem was lack of damage, it was his complete inability to be a tank/frontliner because his shield sucks compared to Citron. Please buff the cooldown on AllStars dummy :c

Also semi worried they didn't nerf Superbrains, feel he's going to be the new OP but who knows.
Message 29 of 43 (426 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Anyone want to talk about how Engineer sound grenades need a desperate nerf? That lasts waaaaaaaaay too long. since we're on the topic of OP.

Message 30 of 43 (408 Views)