by low_tier_squid

Original Post

Re: Population dropping

★ Guide

wat? level 100 is max?  

Message 11 of 17 (315 Views)

★ Novice

I totally agree with you! Feels kinda weird how this wasnt implemented in the first place.
I mean its an "arena-game" but theres no leaderboard or some relevant statistics like K/D, DPM etc, no place for "clans".

Considering how well done this game is and how quickly it got so popular, what are they doing?

Message 12 of 17 (314 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
There is basicly any other shooting game if you want a lowerd ttk. I hope they dont touch it.
Message 13 of 17 (270 Views)

★★★ Guide

Well they're not adding anything or balancing their game. Only so much of this ridiculous wingman/peacekeeper spam a person can tolerate.

Message 14 of 17 (242 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Well the new Fortnite season pass just launched and this will have an impact + Fortnite has crossplay and progression which EA and Respawn don’t seem to value, big mistake.

Message 15 of 17 (208 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Apprentice

the game has been out for 1 month, i don't know of any game on the planet that had the same player count 30 days later as they did on launch day. people typically don't just endlessly grind a single online game. it is best to use population data from every 3 to 6 months or so, it will predict trends more accurately. this is why businesses have fiscal quarters and not fiscal months or fiscal weeks.

and just keep in mind, every game is eventually going to die at some point. online gaming moves way too fast and there is too much competition. i bet very few of us will still play Apex three years from now, us early adopters will be jaded and burnt out by then, but the game itself might be more popular in 3 years than it is right now, it's impossible to tell. look at League of Legends, that game was probably a good 4-5 years old before it really hit its stride and blew up big...and now it's turning 10 years old this October and it's still extremely popular, but even League will be officially 'dead' someday in the future. nothing lasts forever.

we'll see where Apex is at this time next year. if it has over 50% of its playerbase retained 1 year into its lifespan, i would say that is extremely good.

Message 16 of 17 (183 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@dotque wrote:

I totally agree with you! Feels kinda weird how this wasnt implemented in the first place.
I mean its an "arena-game" but theres no leaderboard or some relevant statistics like K/D, DPM etc, no place for "clans".

Considering how well done this game is and how quickly it got so popular, what are they doing?

While I want those things, there isn't some magic button at Respawn's office that they just hit and implement that. Those kinds of things require algorithms and tracking that are more complex than you understand to code. Blizzard spent the better of 2 full years on their matchmaker for Overwatch, that game was officially born in 2013 and they spent from 2014 almost right up until release day working on and perfecting their matchmaking and stats tracking algorithm and then they continued to improve it when the game was live (even overhauling the entire "SR" system at one point).

Just because a lot of games have these systems does not mean they're easy and fast to implement. Also, K:D is not that important in this game, you should track Kills:Games Played instead or Top 3:Games Played, both of which you can see for yourself in your Legend profiles from the menu screen (and opt to display on your card that people see before and during the match).

Cause I can maintain a high K:D in this game and still never touch a Top 3 finish that often, you can end up with a decent KDR just by farming the Skull Town deathmatch every game, it doesn't mean you're meeting the actual win conditions of Apex though.

Message 17 of 17 (180 Views)