Re: Pls, for the sake of your game REMOVE SBMM

by mastiffslinger

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★ Expert

@DoYaSeeMeLet's stop with the noobs, they'll eventually learn, we've all learned, by putting in the time, and playing against better players, that's just how it goes.

How many of you remember jumping in a game, and you'd deal with the hand you were dealth, and if you joined a game were the opposite team all had the same clan tag, you were in for a rough time....these classic games are still coveted to this day. Why do we blanket noobs now, spare me the replies lol.

SBMM has it's place, but being implemented mid way in, which has drastically changed the way casual pubs is now played, is probably why there's an obvious uproar on reddit, multiple gaming sites, by the pros, and what seems to be a huge percentile of the casual everyday players.

Message 31 of 64 (977 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@DoYaSeeMe 

I can answer that one from a solo player standpoint. You had the chance to meet mixed groups playing. I have been getting randoms in the level 20-50 area coonsistently for 3 weeks now, facing squads that are not. There is no balance from my viewpoint, and this has been my stance on this issue since near the end of season 2. It is not a new hot button topic for myself, nor for many others that are on the forum or on reddit. It is just getting painted that way by a select few people who read what they want to in what we are saying.

If you want balance fine have balance. Protect noobs ok, but that is not the case. If you are experiencing it in pre-mades great. But I  am solo now my friends quit playing yet again,(3rd round of friends since season1) so here I sit as a basically casual player. I played ranked until plat and then stopped. I stopped playing ranked because my friends were lower and didn't want to play ranked in Plat, which was near the beginning of season 3. 

So on paper I am Plat, and face equivalent squads let's say in random cue matches in normal Apex. Yet my teammates have little to no experience. It is not uncommon to have 5 games in a row with teammates less than level 50 and they play for the most part like noobs. 

SO in response to your queries on the subject, I am curious as to how the balance of this game is even working in any fashion. Almost every game I play I am 1 v 3, either my teammates are down, running away or looting in every fight. Now I am not Rambo and chasing fights in all of these games. Sometimes my teammates take a popshot and then run away. Whatever. After I am dead and if my teammates are dead also I get the joy of spectating the enemy who just wiped us and lo and behold there is the 4k damage badge along with 20 kill streak. 

Now I am no slouch at this game, but I am far from a Predator level player I have 2k damage badges on a couple of legends and have had a decent run in this game. But my feeling and this is how I feel about the random games in the current state, I am facing down squads every game who have players equal to or better than my skillset, yet I do not have teammates even in the realm of being able to aid in fighting these squads. 

This isn't just 2 out of 5 games, or 4 out of 5. Last night alone I tried playing and kept count in 10 games I had 1 player over level 50 on my squad. So a 10% chance I might have a player to help fight off the higher skilled or equal skilled players? (below level 50 does not equate to a bad player, but it has been my experience lately that it is)

In essence if SBMM is going to stay either teammates need to be somehow better matched in random or Solo is going to have to be an option. I am off Apex for awhile now anyways between this and the serious server problems as of late, I can play MW and it runs butter smooth, so I will be spending my time there. But I will miss Apex, the gameplay is what keeps me coming back it is all of this bs that drives me away.

To sum up if SBMM worked as intended and your squad and your enemies were on the same or close levels fine, but seriously it is not even close. Again, being paired with sub 50 level players seems there is an issue there. 

Maybe it is time to hit discord up yet again for a 4th round of friends who might stay in apex for more than a week so I can actually play pre-made again and see how that feels. 

If that doesn't clear up the issue I see with SBMM right now in it's current state I don't know what will. And tbh I don't even understand why anyone would want it in casual anyways. Sure it will balance for a while, but I have to suspect these sub 50 players I have been getting in my lobby don't appreciate running into full squads of never miss wingman gunslingers either. Maybe that was the intent of SBMM, but it is failing from my perspective anyways. I miss the old matchmaking where if you did get a potato squad you at least had the chance you might run up against another one as well. That seems to not be the case.Put the SBMM in ranked  and leave it there if you need to have it, and give us solos if you are going to keep it in the whole game anyways. I don't have a problem playing against equal skilled or even better players, but 1 v 3 seems to be a bit much especially game after game after game, and so on.

Message 32 of 64 (959 Views)

★★★★ Pro
Message 33 of 64 (949 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

@Gabrielmojo26These "noobs" are very important for the revenue of this game. They are many, very possibly the majority of the players. For each experienced player, Apex risks losing like 5-10 noobs.

Another thing to think about, a lot of the noobs of today are the predators of tomorrow, but which will grow in a much more balanced environment, experiencing more adequate teammates and less toxicity, and having more accurate stats, that won't take such abrupt falls like nowadays. These will probably be the longest term investors in Apex.

As for the fun factor, let's not forget the strong RNG of this game. I think it can provide enough dynamic for all kinds of situations. Add to this the fact that not all lobby wants to sweat, so there are more chances of "casual" fights.

Message 34 of 64 (932 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Expert

@DoYaSeeMeIf we’re going to throw in revenue in the equation, let’s also throw in influencers and pro gamers who also generate hype, and money towards Apex, and if said pros and influencers drop Apex, believe me, the game won’t strive. Simple supply and demand.

Wrona touched base on SBMM just recently, just saying.

Message 35 of 64 (922 Views)

★★★ Expert
@mastiffslinger Hmm, your particular case seems to require a stricter SBMM, not the removal of it.

My situation is different. If judged by k/dr, I'm probably noob level and honestly, I often seem to do some really stupid mistakes. On the other hand, I have around 800 hours in this game, from this perspective I should be pretty experienced.

Still, I very rarely get paired with any player displaying more than 1K kills, my usual teammates are level 30-100 and rock 50-300 kills on their selected legend. I've had levels under 10 with me on a few occasions, but can't remember seeing any 4K+ banner in my team in S3.

My matches are pretty varied: some have 30k champions, others show a guy with low level and 0 wins or kills on that legend. In some games, I get to wipe full squads, while in others my whole squad is out in the first minute. I've been able to carry less experienced players to the top 3, sometimes even grabbing a win, but also got downed pretty easily by less experienced players in other matches. I've survived to the top half of the lobby after dropping hot, but also got killed by the ring. I've even been able to afk for minutes and still be alive or even take the win. All this since SBMM, so my conclusion is that its formula is pretty flexible.

Maybe you are an exception, the formula probably rates you as a pro level skilled player. Maybe your teammates see you like that and chill out, thinking that you'll sweat for them. Maybe the playerbase on your server is a weird mix at those usual times you play. Maybe Respawn has introduced new trackers for SBMM use, but they act crazy as there's not enough data gathered yet. I don't know, but anyway, the removal of SBMM won't necessarily solve your issue.
Message 36 of 64 (901 Views)

@Gabrielmojo26 And I’ve told
you time and again. That’s not how it plays out, without SBMM. The lower skill players just get slaughtered without SBMM. I also explained to you that the lower skill players slowly move up the lobbies playing progressively harder groups of players as they move up SBMM. If they plateau with their skill then they stay in a lobby/MM that is competitive for them. Once they have mastered that Lobby and start posting better numbers SBMM will place them into more difficult lobbies/SBMM. It will then become a challenge for them again and their skill will start to improve again.

Kudos to you if you play rounds with lower
Skill players in higher skill lobbies. If they want to, I bring them into higher skill lobbies. It often means we’ll get slaughtered, but I don’t care. I also go into the firing range with them.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 37 of 64 (893 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@DarthValtrex
It’s not about owning noobs. I’ve been playing the game since Day 1. I consider myself in the top 25-30% of all Xbox players and now I mainly solo queue. I was confident in 1v1 and 2v1 situations and could get a win every 7-10 games or so with my “solid” games averaging 10-12 kills. When we used to play tournaments with my discord community, it wasn’t uncommon for one of our teams to smack 25-30 kills combined in a lobby.

Now I’m just getting smashed by teams with 25k-50k combined kills, meanwhile Im playing with guys that don’t even have 1.5k kills that are in the meat grinder before they knew what hit’em. And forget a 20 bomb, it was really difficult before and you had to really sweat, but now it’s damn near impossible.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not that the concept of SBMM is bad, but maybe Respawn just ain’t doing the algorithms right?

I was one of those persons that had no idea that SBMM was ever added to the game. After the first week of its integration, I thought maybe people are just getting better or I was beginning to plateau, or both. But it just got worse and worse the more I played. Eventually I just stopped playing for awhile.

I recently came back a week or two ago and it just doesn’t make any sense that I’m constantly getting partied up with two level 100+ that don’t even have over 1.5k kills on their main, and yet the champion squad in the same match will have over 10k kills each.

Long story short, it feels like SBMM well at the lower skill levels, but once that mark is passed, they just jumble everyone together (possibly mixing a lobby with varying skill levels to reach an acceptable ratio of ok players - to phenoms?). And there is a HUGE difference between a player in the top 10% and the top 25%. If they’re going to make a BR with SBMM, then they need to restrict the parameters of the “skill base” differences. Put top 10% with top 10%, and put top 11%-20% with top 11% - 20%, etc.

It’s not about smashing newbs it’s about not getting smashed as if you’re a newb.
Message 38 of 64 (818 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Zobin911 And sorry for the long reply, just saw that there were more comments about this issue that are similar to mine. It’s time using this so I’m still getting familiar.
Message 39 of 64 (816 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

never understood why there's so much qq about the sbmm, the nolife guys don't want to play against other nolife guys?

@Zobin911"I’m constantly getting partied up with two level 100+ that don’t even have over 1.5k kills on their main", i don't have 1.5k kills on my main because i don't have a main, it's a fps not a mmorpg, wake up, you don't need to collect some gear for a character, you can play whatever hero you want, whenever you want, there's no main or alt

Message 40 of 64 (806 Views)