Please help me know what laptop to get for those games

by mathematics654

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Please help me know what laptop to get for those games

★★ Pro

I might go to collage soon, and my laptop is deadly old and laggy, so I want to get a new one, beside being a school laptop, I want to have it as a backup in case my main gaming PC will have any problems, or I will need to move to a place that I can't take a desktop with me, and I want it to run at least those 3 origin games: The Sims 4, Mass Effect 3 and FIFA 15 (I don't know if it matter, but all are the demo versions of those games) so I will have at least some gaming with me on the go, I don't know how to compare the specs I need for those games, what will be the lowest specs I will need to run all those 3 demos on minimum? (I don't need any higher for the laptop, I have a gaming computer that can run Battlefield V, the laptop will be mainly for school, but I want those demos to run)

Message 1 of 4 (289 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Please help me know what laptop to get for those games

[ Edited ]

@mathematics654  Are you really running the Sims 4 CAS demo?  I thought it only lasted for 72 hours or so, but maybe that changed.  At any rate, Create a Sim in the game itself is very easy on a system, so if you only want to play on minimum settings, you can ignore Sims 4 and focus on the reqs for the other games.

Fifa 15's minimum requirement is an Nvidia 650, which is higher than the one for Mass Effect 3; the demo is probably as demanding on a graphics card as the game, or close to it.  Any card in the Nvidia MX series, with the exception of the MX110, is equal or a bit faster to the 650, and there are plenty of lightweight cheap laptops with an MX card.  If you go any lower though, you'd be getting an integrated chip, and that might not run Fifa, although the faster ones (particularly the ones in Ryzen 5 and 7 processors) may be fine as well.

If you get a fast enough graphics card, the other specs of the laptop should also be fine—the processors and memory will almost certainly be sufficient to make the graphics card the limiting factor.  Make sure to get at least 256 GB storage, but that's plenty for these games.  In terms of RAM, you technically only need 4 GB for any of these games, but I'd want 8 GB minimum for any computer I bought now, especially if it was for school and I expected to multitask.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (281 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@mathematics654  Are you really running the Sims 4 CAS demo?  I thought it only lasted for 72 hours or so, but maybe that changed.  At any rate, Create a Sim in the game itself is very easy on a system, so if you only want to play on minimum settings, you can ignore Sims 4 and focus on the reqs for the other games.

Fifa 15's minimum requirement is an Nvidia 650, which is higher than the one for Mass Effect 3; the demo is probably as demanding on a graphics card as the game, or close to it.  Any card in the Nvidia MX series, with the exception of the MX110, is equal or a bit faster to the 650, and there are plenty of lightweight cheap laptops with an MX card.  If you go any lower though, you'd be getting an integrated chip, and that might not run Fifa, although the faster ones (particularly the ones in Ryzen 5 and 7 processors) may be fine as well.

If you get a fast enough graphics card, the other specs of the laptop should also be fine—the processors and memory will almost certainly be sufficient to make the graphics card the limiting factor.  Make sure to get at least 256 GB storage, but that's plenty for these games.  In terms of RAM, you technically only need 4 GB for any of these games, but I'd want 8 GB minimum for any computer I bought now, especially if it was for school and I expected to multitask.

Message 2 of 4 (282 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@puzzlezaddict 
I've quickly checked and The SIms 4 CAS Demo work perfectly, unless you mean 72 hours in game time, which I defentlly not have, Origin said I spent less then a hour on the demo (I don't think I even have 72 hours in the actual game CAS XDDDD I'm much more of a builder and often use the same Sims for months)

So FIFA 15 is the upper cut? I wish I've got FIFA 14 demo when it still was on Origin, it might've helped a bi XD but my oldest Demo is 15, so this why I listed it, of course if the laptop end up running a newer FIFA I would just have the newest FIFA Demo it can run, I have all Demos until 20 so far Standard smile

Message 3 of 4 (270 Views)

@mathematics654  Yes, Fifa 15 is the most demanding according to the posted minimum requirements.  And since you just want to play on minimum settings, that's what I used.  There's no harm in trying all the Fifa demos on your laptop though.  As long as it's not overheating, the worst that can happen is that the game crashes, won't start, or is too slow to be playable.  Then you'll know to uninstall that version of Fifa and go with an older one.

Message 4 of 4 (247 Views)