Re: Please get rid of leading cursor control

by Rhifox

Original Post

Please get rid of leading cursor control

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Please enable Mouse Look Controls, this game is completely unplayable on mouse. I do not own any control peripherals besides m/k, so I had to refund the game. 

I've been playing videogames my entire life, but this flight control system made me legitimately question whether I had a motion disability. I couldn't figure out why I kept crashing into walls in the tutorial until I looked up what was wrong. Why is it not like Rebel Strike or Rogue Squadron or Battlefronts? My eyes keep defaulting to the cursor direction instead of the crosshairs by reflex, I literally cannot make my brain do what it wants me to. Please, devs, fix this... Why would the devs go and change an input consensus that has been there since the dark ages of gaming? How did they think this was a good idea? Did no one play the game before release??

Tons of people on steam forums are saying the same thing. 

Here's someone elses reply from steam that is what I think: "You don't balance control inputs. That's the players direct connection to the game lol. Sloppy controls kills games. I want to play at 100% with my preferred input like everyone else can with theirs."

Message 1 of 49 (5,580 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Yeah I agree. It makes the game almost impossible to play

Message 2 of 49 (5,553 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

There is also lots of opinion on steam that the moment developers enable mouse look as you want - there will be no point to use other peripherials and joystick / controllers will be inferior - but of course you wont mention that

Message 3 of 49 (5,550 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

The game is not unplayable on mouse, nor sloppy. But it is not an arcade flier, like Rogue Squadron or Battlefront. Those games are designed for casual play, and therefore have casual controls. Battlefront and Rogue Squadron are not similar games to Squadrons. Squadrons is a space flight sim. Therefore, mouse input uses a virtual joystick input, like other space flight sims (such as Elite Dangerous). This is, in fact, the consensus for games like this.

I'm sorry that you are disappointed in this input system, but the game is perfectly playable on KB&M, and it is entirely possible to excel with it. I personally play all my flight sims with KB&M, and find it preferable over joystick or controller. You will just need to take the time to learn how to fly with a virtual joystick input instead of direct input.

Message 4 of 49 (5,144 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Have you ever played TIE Fighter game? Noone's talking about 'point'n'shoot' controls. Just make the ship turn by moving it's 'crosshair', not making it follow the mouse cursor. Imagine playing with a controller or a flightstick where instead of moving your ship you're moving a dot across the screen and it makes ship follow it. What a ridiculous idea eh? Now that's what we KB/M users are stuck with and it makes the otherwise fun game utter trash.

Message 5 of 49 (5,509 Views)

★ Apprentice

Mention it yourself. It's a thread. Of course I won't, because that argument makes no sense at all. It's a PC game. Want to play in VR or with accessories? Play against ai or get good. Don't completely kneecap everyone else with the default setup. 

Message 6 of 49 (5,505 Views)

★ Guide

Yeah. It's very bad.

We keyboard and mouse users have been hobbled in order to give the advantage to a tiny number of players, AKA flight stick users.

A level playing field is an absolute basic level necessity. But we don't have that in Star Wars Squadrons.

I've tried every setting, but it's almost unusable. It's painfully obvious we are not in proper control of the ship.

Message 7 of 49 (5,471 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Whether a mouse needs to be handicapped or not, the current method is horrible.  I find myself having trouble just flying around the fleets in the intros, much less drawing a bead on an opposing fighter.  Mouse control needs to be changed.

Message 8 of 49 (5,447 Views)

★ Apprentice

Well it seems obvious many of us are having the same issue. Have the devs said anything on the matter? I would really like to play this game, but I just CANT. it's that bad. 

Message 9 of 49 (5,367 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Hey mouse / keyboard friends, this reply by Brawndo0369 gets to an issue that goes beyond just leading cursor control:

"I find myself having trouble just flying around the fleets in the intros, much less drawing a bead on an opposing fighter." 

This is a problem for ALL users of this game. The problem is "over-steering." The ship needs to go where we point it, whether we are using a mouse, controller, or flight stick. But instead, what happens is the ship keeps moving heading even after you get to where you want to point. It keeps drifting, so that you have to "counter steer" to straighten out. This did not happen in Xwing, Tie Fighter, XvT, or XWA, but is a new problem (feature??) with Squadrons. It makes simply steering your ship extra challenging, and it makes tight turns followed by good shots extremely hard to pull off. I believe this happens with all inputs, though I have only tried mouse and flight stick.

Anyway, just thought I would point out that there are steering issues with every controller in this game. It is just impossible to do a quick turn and come out of it exactly where you want it to go without somehow calculating/guessing how much you need to counter-steer first. Perhaps if that were fixed, everyone would have an easier time adjusting to other idiosyncrasies of the game.

Personally I am a flight stick user, old XvT / XWA player, but I used to play Wing Commander with a mouse back in the day, and Xwing sometimes. The method of mouse control used in Squadrons is actually traditional for both the Xwing and Wing Commander series. I have tried Squadrons with mouse and keyboard, and it feels fine, since I have experience with that. I do not see the disadvantage you all are talking about compared to flight stick, but I understand you are used to a different method from other games. I think it was Freelancer that started the trend of the guns shooting toward the cursor. The game *could* have been designed like that of course, but that is a completely different method of steering, shooting, and flight control. It could be implemented so that anyone (joystick, console controller, or mouse / keyboard) could move the cursor to where they want, and have guns follow immediately and heading follow eventually. However, that's not the way this game or its predecessors work. Instead you have to use your input method to basically "request" your ship to move in a certain direction, and then you have to calibrate your own inputs to come out of that turn when you are at the desired heading. I pointed out above how that is unusually hard in this game, whereas in others it has been easier. I would certainly vote for making the ship stop turning when you tell it to, no matter which input you are using. That might help everyone. But I don't know what that would take to implement now that the game is launched.

Message 10 of 49 (5,348 Views)